• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 86technicaflatty

86technicaflatty

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 11:11 PM

Ok guys I'm digging my quest out of the weeds and start my swap. But I can decide whether it's best to go with a 350 with t56. Or a 4.6l out of a cop car that has been sitting at my shop. Personally id like to go LS but i have the 4.6l already. Also if I could just get some advice on what needs trimming and what y'all did for motor mounts trans cross members etc... I'll try and get some pictures of my car up it's saying the files are too big

#2 creakyjoints

creakyjoints

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts
  • Model:Starion

Posted 12 August 2017 - 11:45 PM

4.6 is to wide
the dude in the honda said, i thought you said your car was slow, my response was.. well you said yours was fast so i guess we both lied.. haha

#3 87redcat

87redcat

9 years and counting...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,511 posts
  • Interests:Aircraft Mechanic, working on the new house while dust collects on my wife's quest and on my quest
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 13 August 2017 - 03:05 AM

And it blows spark plugs...
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

#4 86technicaflatty

86technicaflatty

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 09:46 AM

What about motor mounts for LS?

#5 Preludedude

Preludedude

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 02:40 PM

Everything has to be custom...

#6 TexasQuest

TexasQuest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,353 posts
  • Interests:TSi's & VR4's

Posted 13 August 2017 - 05:57 PM

You have to custom make motor mounts and cut the trans tunnel to fit a trans. Also make mounts for it too.
88 Fiji Blue -Tsi
Zoom clutch, Fidanza flywheel, Stedebani shifter, KYB's, ST springs, ST swaybars, abs delete, a/c delete, cruise delete, JVE, BSEK, TEP steel brake lines, LSP braided cooler lines, CX Racing radiator,  MK1 silicone hoses, MK1 pullies, *DM hard pipes & intercooler,14G turbo, ported exh. manifold, MAF Translator, 3.5" GM maf, Turbo XS RFL bov, *DM 3" exhaust, Cusco front strut bar, TEP rear strut bar, Enkei 92's, HKS turbo timer, AEM wideband, AEM boost gauge, AEM oil pressure gauge, Hallman boost controller
Posted Image

View PostJohnnyWadd, on 04 March 2010 - 10:01 PM, said:

my shaft was big i dont know what your talking about.

#7 EricSQ

EricSQ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 01:00 PM

Don't waste your time with the 4.6L out of a P71 because they really are weak compared to any LS.  If you're going SBC with a T56 you will need to cut the tunnel up to get the trans to fit.  You will also be custom fabricating all your brackets, but you would do that for any conversion.
If you can't do the LS, you should do the SBC over the 4.6L IMO.
Posted Image
Posted Image
1988 Chrysler Conquest Tsi (sold)____1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL (sold)
1987 Mitsubishi Starion (sold)_______ 1986 Mitsubishi Starion LS Swap (For Sale)
2015 Subaru WRX (sold)___________ 2002 Chevy Silverado Z71 (For Sale)
2005 Subaru Baja Turbo (sold)______  2000 Chevy Silverado Shortwide (DD)

#8 86technicaflatty

86technicaflatty

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 07:44 PM

Yah I know I have to fabricate my own mounts. Which is fine I have the skills and tools to do it just wanted to see what everyone else was doing for them. I have a lead on a chevy 350 and turbo 400 trans.

#9 440Quest

440Quest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 09:56 PM

LS is by far the most logical. Financially and aftermarket support.

#10 Bradrock

Bradrock

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Interests:Guns, metal working, guns, wrenching, guns,wood working, Gold mining, guns & cool cars.

Posted 20 August 2017 - 10:08 PM

What's the best poor boy LS candidate?  Seems like the TV hot rod show folks go for truck engines? I'm a blue oval guy, so don't know squat about GM products.

What I REALLY want to use in my roller quest is a Caddy Northstar. Northstarion!
It sure hauls my 99 Deville down the road with gusto! And it's aluminum.
Lots of induction options. You can even get a four barrel intake now & loose a ton of electronics.

http://www.chrfab.com/

https://www.youtube....h?v=MvrFe39xho4

Edited by Bradrock, 20 August 2017 - 10:20 PM.

Run's with scizzor's

#11 mbruneaux

mbruneaux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts
  • Interests:Family, Strength Sports, Starquests, Brewing beer and Land Rovers.

Posted 21 August 2017 - 09:23 AM

View PostBradrock, on 20 August 2017 - 10:08 PM, said:

What's the best poor boy LS candidate?  Seems like the TV hot rod show folks go for truck engines? I'm a blue oval guy, so don't know squat about GM products.

What I REALLY want to use in my roller quest is a Caddy Northstar. Northstarion!
It sure hauls my 99 Deville down the road with gusto! And it's aluminum.
Lots of induction options. You can even get a four barrel intake now & loose a ton of electronics.

http://www.chrfab.com/

https://www.youtube....h?v=MvrFe39xho4

That would definitely be different  and pretty cool.
Canterbury, CT
1989 Chrysler Conquest TSi (Project Race Car) Build thread http://www.starquest...opic=147910&hl=
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (Daily Driver)
2002 Discovery II SE7 (Wife's progeny wagon and tow vehicle)

Second place is S*** place , eh.  - Stéphane Peterhansel

#12 EricSQ

EricSQ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:32 AM

I'm not too familiar with Northstar engines, but I thought they were mostly mounted transverse style for FWD.  Are there any mounted front-to-back and have a transmission for RWD?
Posted Image
1988 Chrysler Conquest Tsi (sold)____1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL (sold)
1987 Mitsubishi Starion (sold)_______ 1986 Mitsubishi Starion LS Swap (For Sale)
2015 Subaru WRX (sold)___________ 2002 Chevy Silverado Z71 (For Sale)
2005 Subaru Baja Turbo (sold)______  2000 Chevy Silverado Shortwide (DD)

#13 86technicaflatty

86technicaflatty

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 10:13 AM

I think the bell housing for the lt1 is the same as the northstar but that motor is a pain in the tail to maintain. You know where the starter is right? It's under the intake plenum. And the upper oil pan leaks like a sive. If you do that swap I suggest replacing every gasket. And the starter haha.

#14 86technicaflatty

86technicaflatty

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 10:18 AM

And I'm going with a 5.7L 350 and turbo 400 trans out of a buick road master.

#15 Turbo Cary

Turbo Cary

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 06:11 PM

DONT USE A NORTHSTAR! take it from me. I am a GM Technician. Those thing suck. There are RWD configurations in some Cadillac models but they are hard to come by. Not to mention dumb setups like having the starter under the intake manifold, special tool needed for the water pump, oil leaks everywhere. I don't even recommend fixing leaks on those engines when they come in. If it isn't pouring out oil it and it's just a shiny oil coating, then it doesn't need repair lol.

If going LS and using a truck engine, find one that DOES NOT have active fuel management. That can be determined by looking for a VLOM (valve lifter oil manifold) which is the plate in the valley. If it is active fuel management there will be a 12 pin connector going to the valley and if you remove the plate under the intake you will see the solenoid as part of it.

Non VLOM motors just have a plate with no connector and only one connector present is for the oil pressure sensor.

The AFM motors tend to have camshaft failures as well as lifters failing. To convert a AFM motor to a non AFM configuration you'll need to change the camshaft, lifters, ECU and valley plate. Not a hard job, calls for 14 hours on a truck to replace lifters on both sides but can be done in 5 if you're quick.

Edited by Turbo Cary, 24 August 2017 - 06:46 AM.

#16 TexasQuest

TexasQuest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,353 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 12:16 AM

Cheapest route would be 99-02 4.8/5.3/6.0 out of a GM truck/van/suv. They were cable driven throttle.
88 Fiji Blue -Tsi
Zoom clutch, Fidanza flywheel, Stedebani shifter, KYB's, ST springs, ST swaybars, abs delete, a/c delete, cruise delete, JVE, BSEK, TEP steel brake lines, LSP braided cooler lines, CX Racing radiator,  MK1 silicone hoses, MK1 pullies, *DM hard pipes & intercooler,14G turbo, ported exh. manifold, MAF Translator, 3.5" GM maf, Turbo XS RFL bov, *DM 3" exhaust, Cusco front strut bar, TEP rear strut bar, Enkei 92's, HKS turbo timer, AEM wideband, AEM boost gauge, AEM oil pressure gauge, Hallman boost controller
Posted Image

#17 86technicaflatty

86technicaflatty

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 08:23 AM

How much power can the factory LSD hand and what about half shafts?

#18 TexasQuest

TexasQuest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,353 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 12:14 AM

Joe (4cylfury) is making well over 400hp with the factory diff and upgraded axles.
88 Fiji Blue -Tsi
Posted Image

#19 Starionslider

Starionslider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 11:29 PM

Mines at or above 613hp/703ft lbs. still holding on. And when i say i beat my car hard thats a understatement.

#20 stariondreams

stariondreams

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 06:12 PM

Starionslider you a hard guy to catch. Been trying to catch up to talk swap for awhile I am also in ct.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users