#1 JJWalker

JJWalker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 30 June 2017 - 01:57 PM

Hello Everyone,

I am looking at doing a coil-over conversion on my 1989 Conquest TSi SHP & do not want to cut up my front SHP struts   I located set of 1987 Conquest front struts for non-intercooled flatty car.   I assume that the difference between non-intercooled car's struts  and an intercooled car 's struts are just related to the coil spring rates and shock stiffness/valving.  Since that won't matter after that part of the strut is cut off, can anyone tell me if the non-intercooled flatty struts work for a D2 coil-over conversion on an intercooled fatty car?  OR, do I need to find a set of oil filled intercooled wide-body car struts?

I have searched all of the threads for the D2 coil-over conversion and cannot find an answer to this question for which front strut lower mounts will work for this conversion.  Also, most of the thread's pictures do not show up anymore.  I even contacted a couple of other individuals via private message and was not able to get an answer.

Is the camber angle between the strut and t lower mount the same between the flatty/narrow-body & fatty/wide-body cars

I need someone that knows to tell me if a set of flatty front struts will work for a D2 coil-over conversion on a fatty/wide-body car.
I would appreciate any help anyone can provide on this or let me know who to contact.

I want to avoid wasting money on a set of struts for lower mounts that will not work.

Thanks  in advance.
Alan

#2 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,659 posts
  • Interests:bmx, cars, computers
  • Model:Starion

Posted 30 June 2017 - 02:32 PM

I think there needs to be a bit of clarification before I can answer your question with certainty but lets see if your asking what I think you are...

I think you are asking "Can I use narrow body steering knuckles (bottom portion of struts that has spindle) when converting to D2 coilovers?"
The answer to that question is a definite yes as that is exactly what I did.

If you are asking something else just let me know and I'll try answering the best I can.

1987 Flatty Starion -- Widebody Conversion -- V-Mount Setup --  JDL Tubular Manifold  --  MX-6 Intake -- MS3-Pro -- AEM FPR  --  ARP head studs -- 3" hood exit exhaust -- Hahn Racecraft 16g --  Tial F38 Wastegate -- Tial Q Bov -- Short route piping -- 5 lug & LSD conversion -- Tubular Front End -- Manual Steering Rack Conversion -- Manual Brake Conversion -- Stack Digital Dash -- AEM UEGO -- D2 coilovers -- full GNT poly bushings & mounts -- four 8" rears -- car lightened significantly...  More to come!

Posted Image

Build Thread --->  http://www.starquest...opic=143564&hl=

#3 Starion86ESI

Starion86ESI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Model:Other

Posted 30 June 2017 - 07:48 PM

View PostJJWalker, on 30 June 2017 - 01:57 PM, said:

Hello Everyone,

I am looking at doing a coil-over conversion on my 1989 Conquest TSi SHP & do not want to cut up my front SHP struts   I located set of 1987 Conquest front struts for non-intercooled flatty car.   I assume that the difference between non-intercooled car's struts  and an intercooled car 's struts are just related to the coil spring rates and shock stiffness/valving.  Since that won't matter after that part of the strut is cut off, can anyone tell me if the non-intercooled flatty struts work for a D2 coil-over conversion on an intercooled fatty car?  OR, do I need to find a set of oil filled intercooled wide-body car struts?

I have searched all of the threads for the D2 coil-over conversion and cannot find an answer to this question for which front strut lower mounts will work for this conversion.  Also, most of the thread's pictures do not show up anymore.  I even contacted a couple of other individuals via private message and was not able to get an answer.

Is the camber angle between the strut and t lower mount the same between the flatty/narrow-body & fatty/wide-body cars

I need someone that knows to tell me if a set of flatty front struts will work for a D2 coil-over conversion on a fatty/wide-body car.
I would appreciate any help anyone can provide on this or let me know who to contact.

I want to avoid wasting money on a set of struts for lower mounts that will not work.

Thanks  in advance.

Yes, there is a difference. Flatties have shorter control arms. You will have more negative camber to account for if you used them on widebody.

View Postspeedyquest, on 30 June 2017 - 02:32 PM, said:

I think there needs to be a bit of clarification before I can answer your question with certainty but lets see if your asking what I think you are...

I think you are asking "Can I use narrow body steering knuckles (bottom portion of struts that has spindle) when converting to D2 coilovers?"
The answer to that question is a definite yes as that is exactly what I did.

If you are asking something else just let me know and I'll try answering the best I can.

Your car was flatty so you already have flatty control arms. He doesn't. Meaning he will have alot of negative camber. Thats how they pushed the tire out of the wheel well more on the widebody.

#4 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,659 posts
  • Interests:bmx, cars, computers
  • Model:Starion

Posted 30 June 2017 - 09:40 PM

You did a better job of reading than I did. You are definitely correct Starion86ESI, thanks for correcting that bit of info.

1987 Flatty Starion -- Widebody Conversion -- V-Mount Setup --  JDL Tubular Manifold  --  MX-6 Intake -- MS3-Pro -- AEM FPR  --  ARP head studs -- 3" hood exit exhaust -- Hahn Racecraft 16g --  Tial F38 Wastegate -- Tial Q Bov -- Short route piping -- 5 lug & LSD conversion -- Tubular Front End -- Manual Steering Rack Conversion -- Manual Brake Conversion -- Stack Digital Dash -- AEM UEGO -- D2 coilovers -- full GNT poly bushings & mounts -- four 8" rears -- car lightened significantly...  More to come!

Posted Image

Build Thread --->  http://www.starquest...opic=143564&hl=

#5 JJWalker

JJWalker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 01 July 2017 - 04:41 PM

Okay, thanks.  I do have a widebody car.  I figured there would be some kind of difference between the struts for the narrow and wide body cars.  I'll look around for a set of widebody struts.  All I need is the spindle with about 4" of the lower shock tube portion.  If anyone has a set send me a message with a price.
Alan

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: D2 Coil-over, Front Struts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users