Member number

travs87tsi

How is the member number figured? by post count? it cant be by date joined cause that was my first thought and it definately does not work out.

Joined date

that can't be possible. i was looking and have seen people who have joined years about and the later one has a lower member number. heck for that matter look at your join date and mine. 3 years difference but only 400 number difference.

How is the member number figured? by post count? it cant be by date joined cause that was my first thought and it definately does not work out.

The member number comes from the alphabetical order your name was in when we moved to the last forum software. The software prior to that did not have the usernames in a database, so it kept one long file of one name per line. Your number is the position you were in when I did the conversion from that system, to the last system. Anyone that came in after that conversion will have an accurate number.

Join dates are not an accurate reflection of tenure either. I've been an active SQC member since ~October 1997, but that forum didn't keep those kinds of records, so when the last version was created, I got a new "joined date" of when I logged into that site in 2002.

My number is low because I joined the last site before the database conversion Ryddler mentioned. There are several hundered current/active members that have been arround longer than I have.

No one will have a "joined date" prior to 2002 regardles of tenure (some since 1995'ish)

Interesting.

I suppose it really doesn't matter though.

To some it does :confused0024: I've seen it tossed arround as a qualifying factor when advice is given : "I've been here longer than you so my advice is right and yours is wrong" type stuff.

Kinda along the lines of "post count" lust, that too is a problem for some. At one point (when the last forum was new), we removed the post count because members were abusing the site to up their count :huh: .

Some where even loading topics they had created and hitting their browser-refresh (up to 100 times) to increase the "thread has been viewed XXX times" to make their threads look more important. It was so bad, the entire forum slowed to a halt for everyone because the server was busy with all those refreshes of just one or two people.

To some it does :confused0024: I've seen it tossed arround as a qualifying factor when advice is given : "I've been here longer than you so my advice is right and yours is wrong" type stuff.

Kinda along the lines of "post count" lust, that too is a problem for some. At one point (when the last forum was new), we removed the post count because members were abusing the site to up their count :huh: .

Some where even loading topics they had created and hitting their browser-refresh (up to 100 times) to increase the "thread has been viewed XXX times" to make their threads look more important. It was so bad, the entire forum slowed to a halt for everyone because the server was busy with all those refreshes of just one or two people.

Can't that be tracked by mods and those abusers dealt with? Nothing surprises me on internet forums anymore.

Anyhow, it seems that the member # is really kind've ambiguous, having less actual validity than some might think. Worth displaying?

Can't that be tracked by mods and those abusers dealt with? Nothing surprises me on internet forums anymore.

Anyhow, it seems that the member # is really kind've ambiguous, having less actual validity than some might think. Worth displaying?

Yes and no. One might argue that posting in the BS section isn't grounds for corrective action due to the very nature of the section. Of course those just trying to up their post counts in other sections can always be corrected.

We're having a similar issue with another mitsu forum and we're actually going to remove post count for the off topic section leaving post counting working in all other sections. The post ********** in OTHER sections will be dealt with rather harshly (I hope) so the crap should stop there but who knows. (Why bother working to up your post count anyways?.. What's the point seriously).

Haha...

The lower the number the cooler you are... excluding those below 1,000 (cuz they're considered old timers)... LOL...

If the member number included lurking time, I'd probably be closer to that 1,000 mark and have a join date of about 8 months prior.

-Robert

Everybody who has a low # will like it. Even though it may not be completely accurate, I suppose it has vague relevance to them.

Seems to crowd up the Avatar and Name space with something kinda useless IMO. We all know who the "founding fathers" are anyways ;)

How' bout the fact that all of us still have the 3 bars. Are those supposed to mean anything? I see some have managed to change their title from "Advanced Member" to other goofy stuff somehow.

I see some have managed to change their title from "Advanced Member" to other goofy stuff somehow.

In your personal profile, there is a headding for your "title", it's the top entry box. If blank, you get a default title.

I just changed mine ...