W58 5spd

Funky Phil

Here is the link for my tranny swap.

http://www.starquestclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8873&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=w58+tranny+swap&start=0

I think all in all its probably the cheapest route if you can fab some stuff yourself like mounts etc. You will have to find someone to mod your drive shaft. I have a notebook somewhere with all the specifics including prices but I think I had $1200 including cost of trans for the whole thing. I think this trans will support the repeated abuse of ~375whp or less. It doesnt seem to be any worse for the wear since my turbo swap but I'm making less than 375. :wink: With the 3:90 gears it just a tad bit lower final drive ration than stock so that's nice for a street strip car. with the stock rear it makes an awesome freeway cruiser, 70mph at ~ 2900rpm. I was able to keep my fidanza and ACT pressure plate. I found that supra clutch disk is 236mm and the starquest is 240mm no biggy. I got a toyota disk and slapped it together. No prob bob!

-----------------------------------------------------------

If I had it to do over I would proably go with a trans from a V8. Wether it be the T56 or the Tremic that Dave is using. Either way its much stronger than any 4 cyl/rotary trans and there is aftermarket support to build it to take 1000+hp.

Down side as usually $$$

My trans is holding strong with no issuse but if/when it goes I really can't do anything but replace the broken parts. Nobody that I know of makes an off the shelf upgrade for Gen II supra trannies (w-58). :?

• 1 year later...
-----------------------------------------------------------

I know this is an old thread but I was wondering if anyone had some more details on this swap. The above link is dead. I picked up a W58 and a R154 and was wondering if either of them will fit the stock floor tunnel. Also how much trouble to fab the drive shaft, what bell housing to use, speedo cable, speed sensor, shifter placement etc.

Thanks,

Bob

www.projectzeroG has all you answers

Very nice web site! It looks like you have a bell housing to use a narrow block to the R154. Is there one to use the stock 2.6 wide block to a R154 or W58?

Edited by METZ

yeah,

I been working on just the narrow blocks but I need to expand into the wide block/EVO combination set ups, we are tossing around clutch/flywheel arraingements now

Its tough because I have been funding all the research,development, out of pocket , I do all my own drawings, build my own patterns for the castings and machine out the raw castings in my shop, so I cant move as fast as I would like to.

My first wide block will be for the T 56 6 speed camaro trans, then the R 154 and maybe later the w 58

I bought a Starion so I will be doing a couple build ups jus to see whats needed for the swap, plus I am doing some intake manifold work

you can check out the internal throw bearing R 154 on You tube

Edited by Bill Hincher

• 1 year later...