• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Tim_C.

Tim_C.

Addicted Starquester

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,065 posts
  • Interests:Serving Our Lord Jesus Christ!
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 10 January 2018 - 08:04 PM

My '85 Auto Trans is starting to slip when I go from reverse into any forward gear. It doesn't slip if I first go to neutral and give it a little rev, then go into drive. I'm not so knowledgeable with automatics.

So if I back out of a parking spot, and then shift into forward gear, it will slip unless I give it a little rev in neutral first.

Just wondering if there is something I can adjust, or what the best course of action is at this point.
The fluid and filter was changed about 10K miles ago and kept full always. Fluid looks very clean.

Works better and doesn't really slip at all after it is fully warmed up and I've driven a few blocks, so I am sure to let it fully warm up. Then it only slips on the first reverse-forward shift.
'87TSi .510Roller Cam, JE Forged, TS Rings & plateau honed walls, lightened rods, race prepped crank, mains line honed, balanced, 17C, 3"EX, 2"HardPipes, AlFly, rrfpr, 88trans, 3.90's w/posi plate mods, polyBushings, STSprings, KYBStruts, Camber Plates, CustomAlternator
Traded for new set of tires for my wife's Buick: '87 TSI Gold that needs just about all steering and suspension parts replaced, injectors, a new transmission, clutch, and various electrical gremlins. New owner is a mechanic who is already driving it. I couldn't stand letting it sit any more!
'86 ESiR - OEM Roller Cam, Wiseco Forged 8:1 Pistons, Chad's equal length header, TEP T3/T4 turbo, ACT HD clutch, Fidanza Fly, custom 3" exhaust, 3 core oversized radiator, O-ringed block, AJUSA metal shim head gasket, Dawes Device boost controller
'85 Plymouth Conquest Auto , Wiseco 8:1, super light pins, shaved rods, hi-torque cam, 2.5 Exhaust
'84 Dodge Conquest Parts car
'83 Starion - Gutted stock exhaust with '87 TSi muffler, New engine with: BS Elim,forged Wisecos,balanced,Schneider274H,marnal w/oversized stainless valves
'83 Cannonball Run II Jackie Chan car, Basic ring and bearing job w/less than 6K original miles on body, steering, suspension, & rear end, Lightened stock fly, BS Elim, Walbro 255LPH FP, NEW Clearwater head with all new parts, intercooled, 14G turbo, 2750 car weight
'96 Mitsu Mirage w/rebuilt head. Gets 35+MPG.
'87 Dodge Ram50 4WD Rebuilt engine, fresh stock head, Weber carbed, BS elim. Runs great now!
'97 Buick Ultra (supercharged Park Avenue)

#2 croquest87

croquest87

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 565 posts
  • Interests:all things mechanical

Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:47 PM

Hello there had same issue  ended up custom making some bushings for the linkage  and had local shop do some adjustments was loosing pressure drove it w gage hooked to the tranny and pressure would drop suddenly  complete re build later and no issues   fibers from all the clutches had overtaken every port and filter so it would clog everything and not let fluid pass to the right spots

#3 Tim_C.

Tim_C.

Addicted Starquester

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,065 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 07:15 PM

Yeah, that makes sense. I was hoping to not need to pull the trans and rebuild it of course.
'87TSi .510Roller Cam, JE Forged, TS Rings & plateau honed walls, lightened rods, race prepped crank, mains line honed, balanced, 17C, 3"EX, 2"HardPipes, AlFly, rrfpr, 88trans, 3.90's w/posi plate mods, polyBushings, STSprings, KYBStruts, Camber Plates, CustomAlternator
Traded for new set of tires for my wife's Buick: '87 TSI Gold that needs just about all steering and suspension parts replaced, injectors, a new transmission, clutch, and various electrical gremlins. New owner is a mechanic who is already driving it. I couldn't stand letting it sit any more!
'86 ESiR - OEM Roller Cam, Wiseco Forged 8:1 Pistons, Chad's equal length header, TEP T3/T4 turbo, ACT HD clutch, Fidanza Fly, custom 3" exhaust, 3 core oversized radiator, O-ringed block, AJUSA metal shim head gasket, Dawes Device boost controller
'85 Plymouth Conquest Auto , Wiseco 8:1, super light pins, shaved rods, hi-torque cam, 2.5 Exhaust
'83 Starion - Gutted stock exhaust with '87 TSi muffler, New engine with: BS Elim,forged Wisecos,balanced,Schneider274H,marnal w/oversized stainless valves
'83 Cannonball Run II Jackie Chan car, Basic ring and bearing job w/less than 6K original miles on body, steering, suspension, & rear end, Lightened stock fly, BS Elim, Walbro 255LPH FP, NEW Clearwater head with all new parts, intercooled, 14G turbo, 2750 car weight
'87 Dodge Ram50 4WD Rebuilt engine, fresh stock head, Weber carbed, BS elim. Runs great now!

#4 importwarrior

importwarrior

6 Quests and Counting......

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,818 posts
  • Interests:Boost = 2KWIK4U
    Starquests

Posted 15 January 2018 - 06:51 PM

Possibly bands need adjustment???

B-71 87 TSI ~ RIP
Black 87 Starion ~ Mess SOLD!!!
Proud New 89 slightly Rusted Fiji Owner !!!

The Ark was built by amateurs , the Titanic was built by Professionals.

#5 Tim_C.

Tim_C.

Addicted Starquester

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,065 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 04:54 PM

Yes, I looked in the FSM and didn't see where the adjustment is. I'll look again. I'm also concerned that adjusting them tighter would eat the drums worse and make the eventual rebuild require bands and drums.
I have some new bands to put on but it seems to me that it would be better to clean and rebuild it entirely when I put them in.
Is there a good place to get new drums from? I'd have to think they are getting very rare so I might just buy them now too, if they are available.
I took it for a drive on the highway today. It doesn't slip at all when the engine has run fully warm for a few minutes. So I let it warm all the way up before I take it out of the driveway.
This one is my winter driver because I have studded snows on it and it is a posi-trac rear. My '83 daily driver is a one wheel wonder. I have a posi out of an '84 to put in it when I have time.
Anyway, I like to drive the auto in the winter, but I'll probably let it sit most of this winter until I take car of the trans.

#6 fuel

fuel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Model:Other

Posted 20 January 2018 - 07:20 PM

I would at the very least drop the pan, look at the condition of the pan magnets and replace the filter and re-fill up to the correct level.

#7 croquest87

croquest87

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 565 posts
  • Interests:all things mechanical

Posted 21 January 2018 - 02:03 PM

Not sure if you have ammco transmission places around you?   They found parts needed   Mechanic there said it is a Nissan transmission once he got into it and ordering things

#8 BuGG

BuGG

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,862 posts
  • Interests:Starquests forever!

Posted 21 January 2018 - 02:08 PM

View Postcroquest87, on 21 January 2018 - 02:03 PM, said:

Not sure if you have ammco transmission places around you?   They found parts needed   Mechanic there said it is a Nissan transmission once he got into it and ordering things

Yeah mazda used it too.  I remember a while back someone needed drums but could not get new ones.  Had to source good used ones.
Posted Image

#9 Tim_C.

Tim_C.

Addicted Starquester

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,065 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 09:04 PM

Thanks you guys. I'll check around for some drums because I'm sure it will need it eventually. Then maybe I could just pull the pan and try adjusting the bands without concern about making the drums worse.
Or, just pull it all apart and rebuild it before too long.

#10 Tim_C.

Tim_C.

Addicted Starquester

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,065 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:47 PM

Well, the water pump on my wife's Buick went out. I just replaced it with a new NAPA about 20K miles ago.
Anyway, so the only other car I have that she can drive is this '85 Plymouth Conquest auto. It actually did well for the week or so she had to drive it. I did try some Lucas 'Stop Slip'. We have put about 300 miles on it since and still not slipping. Had to pay a mechanic to swap the water pump since I was traveling. Nothing that another $500 couldn't cure! Money I hoped to spend on other projects including this one.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users