• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 88351wtsi

88351wtsi

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts
  • Interests:My kids, music, and cars, not always in that order.
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:10 AM

After working on the IC piping was curious about where to pull the vacuum for the BOV and willbit make much difference what side of the FMIC it goes as long as it's in front of the turbo?  Before I is it off of he throttle body before the IC but now the piping wworks tsk out better to go just before the turbo. Thoughts?
1988 Conquests  

His:  Durban maroon with 351w  
        Sophia white MS2 full sequential with BW S257sxe in the middle of a full tear down

Hers: Red restored and on the road, mostly stock

#2 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,622 posts
  • Interests:bmx, cars, computers
  • Model:Starion

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:29 AM

You want your BOV as close to your throttle plate as you can manage. As far as your vacuum source you want to pull it off the 3rd (closest to firewall) vacuum port on the drivers side pointing towards the fender on the intake. Its the last one in the line of three that include the port going to your vac advance. An even better place if you have the chance is the port off your #4 running on the intake. Its either plugged if you have a manual or it has a port going to your auto tranny.

1987 Flatty Starion -- Widebody Conversion -- V-Mount Setup --  JDL Tubular Manifold  --  MX-6 Intake -- MS3-Pro -- AEM FPR  --  ARP head studs -- 3" hood exit exhaust -- Hahn Racecraft 16g --  Tial F38 Wastegate -- Tial Q Bov -- Short route piping -- 5 lug & LSD conversion -- Tubular Front End -- Manual Steering Rack Conversion -- Manual Brake Conversion -- Stack Digital Dash -- AEM UEGO -- D2 coilovers -- full GNT poly bushings & mounts -- four 8" rears -- car lightened significantly...  More to come!

Posted Image

Build Thread --->  http://www.starquest...opic=143564&hl=

#3 88351wtsi

88351wtsi

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:42 AM

Thanks speedy. I should have mentioned it'son the MPI swapped car though. I was trying to use as few silicon connectors as possible but I guess I need to rework it to the driver side.  Will the vacuum need to be teed off the boost controller before the waste gate?
1988 Conquests  

Sophia white MS2 full sequential with BW S257sxe in the middle of a full tear down

#4 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 12:30 PM

Personally if it was me what I'd do is use its own vacuum port from the intake. Trying to pull a signal from the other side of the car isn't going to work. The BOV should have a good vacuum source from after your throttle plate, not a boost source from your intercooler piping.

Edited by speedyquest, 17 July 2017 - 12:31 PM.

1987 Flatty Starion -- Widebody Conversion -- V-Mount Setup --  JDL Tubular Manifold  --  MX-6 Intake -- MS3-Pro -- AEM FPR  --  ARP head studs -- 3" hood exit exhaust -- Hahn Racecraft 16g --  Tial F38 Wastegate -- Tial Q Bov -- Short route piping -- 5 lug & LSD conversion -- Tubular Front End -- Manual Steering Rack Conversion -- Manual Brake Conversion -- Stack Digital Dash -- AEM UEGO -- D2 coilovers -- full GNT poly bushings & mounts -- four 8" rears -- car lightened significantly...  More to come!

Posted Image

#5 88351wtsi

88351wtsi

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:37 PM

I've tried mocking it up a couple different ways. Check this out and let me know what you think please.

https://imgur.com/gallery/c7rKz
1988 Conquests  

#6 88351wtsi

88351wtsi

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:38 PM

http://imgur.com/gallery/c7rKz
1988 Conquests  

#7 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:52 PM

My recommendation would be to put it right after your intercooler based on how little space you have. The reason for getting it as close to your throttle body as possible is so that you don't have a significant volume of air that is "pressurized" still attempting to enter the throttle body right after you let off the throttle. It creates turbulence in the intake track.

Posted Image

#8 88351wtsi

88351wtsi

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 03:37 PM

Thanks man. Will do!
1988 Conquests  

#9 88351wtsi

88351wtsi

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 03:39 PM

So you are boostcreep on imagur?

Edited by 88351wtsi, 17 July 2017 - 04:42 PM.

1988 Conquests  

#10 Skippy

Skippy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:23 PM

And to think I always thought the point of the BOV was so air didn't try to go back in the turbo and that it should be located on the intake side of the intercooler to help with that.

#11 importwarrior

importwarrior

6 Quests and Counting......

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,630 posts
  • Interests:Boost = 2KWIK4U
    Starquests

Posted 18 July 2017 - 05:53 AM

http://www.starquest...pic=28042&st=40

page 3 last post

B-71 87 TSI ~ RIP
Black 87 Starion ~ Mess SOLD!!!
Proud New 89 slightly Rusted Fiji Owner !!!

The Ark was built by amateurs , the Titanic was built by Professionals.

#12 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 09:24 AM

View PostSkippy, on 17 July 2017 - 11:23 PM, said:

And to think I always thought the point of the BOV was so air didn't try to go back in the turbo and that it should be located on the intake side of the intercooler to help with that.

Well compressor surge is what a BOV is supposed to reduce. Maybe I worded my response a bit oddly though and wasn't very clear. The throttle plate closing stops the compressed air from entering the intake so some things happen, one of them is turbulence in the intake track. Another is pressure on the compressor wheel that doesn't have the same amount of force (exhaust gases) pushing on it. Yes compressor surge is a thing but its not as violent of an effect as some seem to think. Your compressor wheel won't spin backwards at any time.

So on a stock Starion having your bov mostly anywhere will cause issues because that air has already been metered. On an MPI car its different and the there isn't an actual metering of air, instead its approximated based on the a few things. In that case the more important part of the BOV then is to help with throttle response and also to cut back on the effects of compressor surge in my opinion.

Posted Image

#13 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 09:27 AM

View Post88351wtsi, on 17 July 2017 - 03:39 PM, said:

So you are boostcreep on imagur?

Nope, my username on Imgur is pearsonallen actually.

Posted Image

#14 Skippy

Skippy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 08:17 PM

I wasn't questioning you speedy, I really thought I was told wrong long ago. :) But thanks for clarifying even more.

I knew of the metered air thing, it is the reason I ran the HKS recirculating BOV with the intake pipe for it.

#15 Funky Phil

Funky Phil

Super Pooper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,326 posts
  • Interests:2 streaks of fire for 60ft when I leave.

Posted 22 July 2017 - 03:24 AM

As long as the valve is set-up properly, it can go anywhere.

Recirculation isnt just for metered applications. It can help reduce operating pressure against the compressor wheel when boost is not in demand, further preventing comp stall.
An overly responsive "vent" can actually cause comp surge and increased boost thresholds.

A valve should simply openand close. How it does it is what matters.
10.95@122mph MoFuggin stickshift! https://m.youtube.co...h?v=8Q01UKt5q4U

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users