Glass or carbon widebody fenders and/or hoods

PROTOTOM

I am considering making widebody fenders and maybe hoods if there is a demand. I am just sending this post out to seek responses. I would also consider rear quarters if I can get them right or any other part that people need. Let me know. I am currently in Iraq but plan on setting up shop as soon as I get home by the end of the year.

-Tom

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to say, it wont happen. The only way it will become a reality is if you plop down your OWN money to buy materials and actually construct a quality product. Otherwise this thread will be 6 pages of "Do a carbon fiber floor pan, that would be sikk. Do a carbon fiber this and that..." and no one will ever be serious when it comes time to put up some cash. (and when I say "put up some cash" I mean to pay for something that already exists, not money for a promise) Edited by 89PalermoSHP

Not to mention someone left a bad taste in the mouth so to speak with alot of folks around here doing the same thing. As a matter of fact I think he still owes people money or product. Like he^^ said its better to make a few and sell them after there done.

+1, get the product made first. I've also attempted this but to no success I couldn't get enough interest for the ones doing the work. I guess it may be different in your case since your the one making the parts whatever the decision good luck to you

I was thinking about making fenders out of magical fairy dust! i just need 20,000. Checks made out to cash please. anybody interested?

FORGET THE FENDERS MAKE DOORS SO WE CAN GET RID OF THOSE BATTLE SHIP ANCHORS! AND MAYBE A NOCH BACK.

I am considering making widebody fenders and maybe hoods if there is a demand. I am just sending this post out to seek responses. I would also consider rear quarters if I can get them right or any other part that people need. Let me know. I am currently in Iraq but plan on setting up shop as soon as I get home by the end of the year.

-Tom

As you can see, there are a few that have been burned before on CF parts. I happen to have gotten my CF parts first and did put money up front with this particular member that most are referencing, it was a risk that paid off, at least for me. I can understand peoples' wariness. I hope you do end up making some parts, and I'll be looking.

Come back safe and sound first and foremost, bro. Godspeed.

Build em and one, maybe two people will buy them . Just dont look for any money up front .

Fixed it for ya!

FORGET THE FENDERS MAKE DOORS SO WE CAN GET RID OF THOSE BATTLE SHIP ANCHORS! AND MAYBE A NOCH BACK.

These are the things that come up that and just totally unrealistic. New fiberglass doors would require two molds to do each side, so 2 doors would require 4 molds. Not just 4 molds but 4 very large, very intricate molds. Then there's materials not only for the molds but the doors themselves, and then the labor of molding the two pieces per door and making those two pieces one straight, quality part. Sire doors could be made, but are you willing to pay $1k or more for them? Maybe you are, but you would be one of the only ones if not the only one.

For years I heard "I want a hood like the one on your car", so eventually I was able to aquire not only that mold, but an 83 replica mold. I've had lots of "interest", but have sold two. Most people lose interest when they hear it's $420, and the rest lose interest when they realize shipping is another $250+. They don't even ask how much carbon fiber would cost at that point. I have around $200 in materials alone into doing a hood. Then figure my time to hand lay it, set the mounting hardware, trim the part, test fitment, and make sure the bodywork is straight and the hood is primed. It works out that I would make about $10/hr for my time, if that. It's not a profitable venture, and I didn't even have to spend lots of money or time making the molds.

I had plans to make a header panel mold and some custom rear spoiler pieces, but after the hood deal, I've realized it just wouldn't be worth my time to make them, unfortunately. I'm a mold maker among other things, and have the resources to make molds for lots of FG parts, but my other work keeps me very busy and pays me more than making hoods and molds for other parts.

Here's the lifecycle of how these things go here...

You come up with a cool part, we'll say a header panel. 50 people are "interested" in a GP.

You start getting things figured out with a supplier or whatever and come up with a price of $100 each as long as you can get ten buyers. Now that people hear the price of $100, you only got 25 "interested" people, because many thought this stuff happens majically, and only would have been willing to spend $50 anyway...and that was if it was shipped and painted LOL.

You work on things some more and find out that it's actually going to cost $125 plus $30 shipping. Now you're down to 10-12 "interested".

Time comes to get people's money, and all of a sudden only 8 people pony up the cash. You've probably already spent some of your own money and at least a bunch of your time trying to get this worked out, and now you're going to have to either call it all off and throw away all that work and/or money or you have to come up with enough of your own cash to buy the extra two parts and make the GP happen. Of course, now you've just flooded the market with those parts, so there's not much demand for the two extra parts you're now forced to hang onto for who knows how long.

I hate to be a Debbie Downer with this topic, and I usually am in the dozens of these threads that come up, but the truth is that selling aftermarket body parts for these cars is a rough gig. Performance parts seem to do a lot better. Mookeeh made some FG and CF 83 hoods, and while he sold a few, pretty soon they just quit selling them- just not enough cash in it. Others have come up with things, but those also maybe sell a part or two then give up because there's no demand, or worse, someone comes along, make a couple of parts, takes a bunch of money to make more, and then run.

The best advice I have for someone interested in making some aftermarket body parts for SQs is this... Start small, don't do it hoping to make lots of money, and only make things you want for your car. Come up with a cool header panel idea that you like for your car, and make the part and the mold to reproduce it. Then if others like it, you can offer to make them for $XXX. If people buy them, you make a little extra cash, if they don't, then no biggie, you're just happy to have yours. From there, maybe make more according to the feedback and interest you hear from the header panels you sold, and make a determination if it's worth it to you to move onto bigger things. Just make sure to look and ask around to see what all is already out there. Me and Mookeeh's hoods are right around the same price, and if we aren't selling truckloads of them for that price, then chances you wouldn't either if you made a hood. Now, if you can make one and sell it for $300, then go for it, maybe that would make it just cheap enough that there would be a lot more buyers. Of course, I don't know how someone could offer a quality part for that price, but if you can, then you might be onto something.

Again, I hate to be a downer, but this is just what I've found after trying to go down that road myself. If you are gung ho about this, then by all means go for it. I hope you do and make something cool. I'd even be down to buy something if you come up with some awesome stuff. Just beware that it may be a rough go, and make sure you research things a lot before jumping right in.

Good luck!

Fixed it for ya!

These are the things that come up that and just totally unrealistic. New fiberglass doors would require two molds to do each side, so 2 doors would require 4 molds. Not just 4 molds but 4 very large, very intricate molds. Then there's materials not only for the molds but the doors themselves, and then the labor of molding the two pieces per door and making those two pieces one straight, quality part. Sire doors could be made, but are you willing to pay $1k or more for them? Maybe you are, but you would be one of the only ones if not the only one.

For years I heard "I want a hood like the one on your car", so eventually I was able to aquire not only that mold, but an 83 replica mold. I've had lots of "interest", but have sold two. Most people lose interest when they hear it's $420, and the rest lose interest when they realize shipping is another $250+. They don't even ask how much carbon fiber would cost at that point. I have around $200 in materials alone into doing a hood. Then figure my time to hand lay it, set the mounting hardware, trim the part, test fitment, and make sure the bodywork is straight and the hood is primed. It works out that I would make about $10/hr for my time, if that. It's not a profitable venture, and I didn't even have to spend lots of money or time making the molds.

I had plans to make a header panel mold and some custom rear spoiler pieces, but after the hood deal, I've realized it just wouldn't be worth my time to make them, unfortunately. I'm a mold maker among other things, and have the resources to make molds for lots of FG parts, but my other work keeps me very busy and pays me more than making hoods and molds for other parts.

Here's the lifecycle of how these things go here...

You come up with a cool part, we'll say a header panel. 50 people are "interested" in a GP.

You start getting things figured out with a supplier or whatever and come up with a price of $100 each as long as you can get ten buyers. Now that people hear the price of $100, you only got 25 "interested" people, because many thought this stuff happens majically, and only would have been willing to spend $50 anyway...and that was if it was shipped and painted LOL.

You work on things some more and find out that it's actually going to cost $125 plus $30 shipping. Now you're down to 10-12 "interested".

Time comes to get people's money, and all of a sudden only 8 people pony up the cash. You've probably already spent some of your own money and at least a bunch of your time trying to get this worked out, and now you're going to have to either call it all off and throw away all that work and/or money or you have to come up with enough of your own cash to buy the extra two parts and make the GP happen. Of course, now you've just flooded the market with those parts, so there's not much demand for the two extra parts you're now forced to hang onto for who knows how long.

I hate to be a Debbie Downer with this topic, and I usually am in the dozens of these threads that come up, but the truth is that selling aftermarket body parts for these cars is a rough gig. Performance parts seem to do a lot better. Mookeeh made some FG and CF 83 hoods, and while he sold a few, pretty soon they just quit selling them- just not enough cash in it. Others have come up with things, but those also maybe sell a part or two then give up because there's no demand, or worse, someone comes along, make a couple of parts, takes a bunch of money to make more, and then run.

The best advice I have for someone interested in making some aftermarket body parts for SQs is this... Start small, don't do it hoping to make lots of money, and only make things you want for your car. Come up with a cool header panel idea that you like for your car, and make the part and the mold to reproduce it. Then if others like it, you can offer to make them for $XXX. If people buy them, you make a little extra cash, if they don't, then no biggie, you're just happy to have yours. From there, maybe make more according to the feedback and interest you hear from the header panels you sold, and make a determination if it's worth it to you to move onto bigger things. Just make sure to look and ask around to see what all is already out there. Me and Mookeeh's hoods are right around the same price, and if we aren't selling truckloads of them for that price, then chances you wouldn't either if you made a hood. Now, if you can make one and sell it for $300, then go for it, maybe that would make it just cheap enough that there would be a lot more buyers. Of course, I don't know how someone could offer a quality part for that price, but if you can, then you might be onto something.

Again, I hate to be a downer, but this is just what I've found after trying to go down that road myself. If you are gung ho about this, then by all means go for it. I hope you do and make something cool. I'd even be down to buy something if you come up with some awesome stuff. Just beware that it may be a rough go, and make sure you research things a lot before jumping right in.

Good luck!

Burton .

You are actually the only person IMHO that is qualified to create a group purchase like this.

May I make a suggestion on your comments about the CF doors?

I have never actually seen or heard of a molded CF door as you described it,

but I have heard of CF door skins.

OK then... some good replies and comments and some, well... written like true narrow minded idiots. I'm not some wannabe punk tuner junkhead like some may believe. I was with Chrysler Product Engineering for 11 years. That means prototype cars...hence the name. I am one of the few, fortunate who helped in the development of the vehicles (some very cool vehicles never to reach production)) nearly 3 years before anyone else drove them off the lots. I have supplies and equipment and even a little skill.

For the haters...I have no issues with you. Stay yourselves and away from me. For those that have been burned on previous parts transactions, I'm sorry for your experience. As far as those that wish me well, thanks. I guess I will keep those that care updated when I get home and begin playing with glass and carbon.

SO BURTON, WHAT YOUR SAYING IS YOULL HAVE MY DOORS READY BY TOMORROW ! THANKS! OH AND HAVE MY CARBON FIBER WINDSHIELD DONE SO YOU CAN COMBINE SHIPPING. HURRY UP LOL.

I finished them up last night, so pay the shipping and I'll get them right out. Unfortunately, shipping is one million dollars.

Burton .

You are actually the only person IMHO that is qualified to create a group purchase like this.

I appreciate your faith in my abilities, and maybe someday I will, but for now it's just not economically feasbale for my business.

May I make a suggestion on your comments about the CF doors?

I have never actually seen or heard of a molded CF door as you described it,

but I have heard of CF door skins.

The problem with our doors is that the skin of the door is only maybe 1/5 or 1/4 the weight of the door. If you really want to lose door weight, you gotta get rid of that frame, or at least drill a ton of holes in it. Just for giggles, lets assume there is just a door skin made. Even if they were $400 for both sides, how many people do you think will spend that kind of money plus pay for installation and paint, only to save maybe 20-25 lbs?

Edited by Burton

OK then... some good replies and comments and some, well... written like true narrow minded idiots. I'm not some wannabe punk tuner junkhead like some may believe. I was with Chrysler Product Engineering for 11 years. That means prototype cars...hence the name. I am one of the few, fortunate who helped in the development of the vehicles (some very cool vehicles never to reach production)) nearly 3 years before anyone else drove them off the lots. I have supplies and equipment and even a little skill.

For the haters...I have no issues with you. Stay yourselves and away from me. For those that have been burned on previous parts transactions, I'm sorry for your experience. As far as those that wish me well, thanks. I guess I will keep those that care updated when I get home and begin playing with glass and carbon.

Not sure where my comments fall in the good/bad situation, but again, my comments weren't meant to kill dreams or anything, just kinda what I've found going thru the same thing. I'm realistic, not narrow-minded.

It sounds like you have the right experience and resources, and would do all the R&D, mold making, part making and marketing all on your own, and that's a start in the right direction. Most people have dreams of this but not the resources so they go to a supplier to make the parts, and the suppliers are usually too pricy or need too many parts ordered to ever get it off the ground. If you do it all yourself, that will cut down the cost dramatically, but you may find there's still not a whole lot of buyers. Hopefully there will be enough buyers for a price that makes it worth your while.

Your job at Chrysler sounds pretty sweet, especially working on prototypes and custom builds. I didn't do anything that cool, but I was a mold maker and CNC machinist in the tool and die trade making plastic injection molds and stamping dies for about 12 years. All of it was automotive, mostly for the big 3 but we also did a lot of work for Mercedes. I didn't really get to see any prototype stuff, but we did have a mock up of the Ford GT interior before it was out since we made about 75% of the interior molds for it. We also got to have a T-Bird mock up since we made a number of molds for the last gen of that too. The rest o my working carreer has been spent in body shops, restoration shops and car audio shops, but I think I enjoyed my time as a mold maker the most.

You deffinately have a better shot at making something like this happen than most of the people who make these posts, and I hope you get something worked out when you get back. I'll be watching and may even be first in line if you come up with some cool stuff.

Stay safe over there.

Why so defensive?? Were we supposed to gather that your an expert in the field from your first post? Until we see real products you just another dreamer. Its really simple, put up or shut up. ;)

Your not being very reasonable at all and I am not at all interest in name calling, It's kind of lame. I am not trying to be arrogent or angry. I was just pointing out something to prevent you or other people making the same mistakes. If you have experience in prototype stuff that is great, you should of said that first. It still stands to reason tho' that a person with any sense of business would make a couple first and put up some pics and then sell those to guage some more interest. I guess it takes all types to make the world go round.

Proto,

I wish you luck in this, Im not much interested in doors or fenders though, I hope you dont take the comments made so far in a negative way. What Burton is telling you is the truth. Like it was said before, alot of folks around here have been burned for alot of $ in the past by scammers who come in with big dreams and talks of this supplier and so and so is developing this and so on. DOHC cyl heads/ drift style bumper covers/ and Raghead turbos comes to mind. It isnt personal attacks towards you, just fear of history repeating itself. I have recently run a GP on some flat cf parts and they are somewhat low cost for the time and material involved yet like burton said. I had 30+ "interested members" on various forums and sold 7 total parts so far. Folks just think the stuff grows on trees or something. I will watch this thread more in the future and hope you get this stuff off the ground. I would be more than willing to buy an extended stock style rear spoiler set in cf if you ever get that far in development. Cheers and best of luck.

BC_99

RIGHT ON DUDE!!! Just kidding. I get it. Call me a dreamer. Call me what ever you want. I am not here to make money. Just share ideas. One of my heroes is Colin Chapman. Love the Esprit (although heavier in modern trim), the old Elan and Elise/Exige. Light weight will get you there quicker. I have been thinking about the whole door thing. I can make a door that would sort of function like a door, with a quick release lexan window. It would take a huge amount of weight off.

BURTON,

I think your experience would be quite helpful. I will pick your brain sometime, if that's ok. Know of any CNC machines for sale?

I just want to throw this out there. Now, I will admit to being one of those people that say interested and then drop out. My personal side of it is that I am just that; Interested. And I know a lot of other people are too, it's just catching enough people at a single time to pay for 10+. I know it's probably not feasible, but I think those making GP's for body panels, ect would find they sell more over time by having a standing stock of the parts made ready to sell so when people do scrounge the money, it's there. I think it would also make less people back away from the product. If they can scrounge the money, and send a PM with a buy it now message, they are more likely to send the money before they triple think it, rather than if they have to message and get a GP going and have it made, ect ect. I know there are a lot of GP products I know where I have said interested, and didn't purchase because I just couldn't produce the money at that particular time, but would definitely send the money as soon as I had it if I could just PM the guy and say "I'll take one".

More like a retail store than a guy making custom order parts. it's mentally easier to spring on a purchase when it's right in front of you or a message a way, rather than with a lead time and wait time.

Problem is, I know that means the producer needs to make those part's on his money until it sells. I also know MK1 had problems with this selling style, but for the 700 dollars for a CF hood, the least he could do is open up the vents and make sure the corners line up on a car first. I've seen a couple MK1 hoods that are 1/4 to 1/2 inch gaps at the fenders or corners from the edges warping, ect. If it was a proper fit, I'd spend 700 on a CF hood for sure, even if I had to cut out the vents myself. The problem with MK1's products are mostly fit. Like my exhaust system I bought from him; If only it were mocked up on a car before it was shipped. Didn't even have to bolted together...just mock it up on the hangers and DP studs, and the misfits would have stuck out like a sore F'ing thumb.

I also know Burton has done a lot to try to supply our community, and I know this community is a pretty big group of cheap fools. No offense, but people here flip when they see say 700 for the CF hoods, when on nearly any other car, a CF hood is 1200-1500 easy. Exhaust systems? In this community:400-500 bucks. Most other cars? 1-2k

FWIW, and probably just rambling and repeating in this post lol.

-Justin

I finished them up last night, so pay the shipping and I'll get them right out. Unfortunately, shipping is one million dollars.

your the man , now thats funny. ok moneys in your paypal, 2 million right, oops o well keep the change.