23 replies to this topic

#1 BenRoels

BenRoels

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Model:Starion

Posted 25 March 2016 - 05:34 PM

Hello everyone! I finally got myself an account on the forum so it's time to introduce myself and my car.

My name is Ben and I live in Belgium. I'm the happy owner of an 89 Mitusubishi Starion RHD. The car was sitting for almost two years in someone's yard, he wouldn't part with it until I came along and promised to take good care of it!
After checking the standard things, new fluids, no leakages,... She proved to be a wonderfull daily driver. The enige is great! Doesn't use any oil, keeps good oil pressure, goes really well. The body is solid, a few scratches and a bit of rust but that will be taken care of!

Now on to the problems... The biggest problem is: there are almost no other Starion drivers in Belgium. So the knowledge over here is limited, the knowlegde about upgrades is non-existant.
The problems with the car: a bit of rust, paintjob isn't that great any more, the powersteering makes a bit of noise when I turn right... But these problems will be solved.

The plans with the car are simple. In a few weeks I will get rid of the original exhaust line, I will gut the first catalytic converter and make a 2.5inch line after the downpipe. I bought Eibach lowering spring, these will go under it in a few weeks. I want to find other rims but the bolt pattern and offset are very difficult to find over here... I'm now searching for new injectors, mine are good right now but better safe than sorry!

I want to do something to improve the airflow, but I have no idea of the best way to do this (with the sensor,...). The turbo is standard right now (7psi), I would like to get up to 10psi so any tips are welcome.

I always drove Honda's before this, loved the cars I drove but a Starion is totally different! I'm reading a lot of topics over here to get my knowlegde up to date but I still have a lot of questions and things I don't completely understand. So all help is welcome!

#2 BenRoels

BenRoels

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 05:44 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 GINASQ

GINASQ

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 920 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 25 March 2016 - 06:08 PM

I like it!

That front license plate bracket is terrible though.

Edited by GINASQ, 25 March 2016 - 06:10 PM.

-James

#4 markhansenconquest

markhansenconquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,127 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 07:00 PM

your at the right place!!....welcome..

#5 cyberquest

cyberquest

Power Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,963 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 07:40 PM

one thing you should know is the factory boost gauge is not accurate, its more of a educated guess from the ecu. pick up a aftermarker boost gauge so you can get a true reading of your boost pressure.

to increase  your boost you will need to buy a MBC (manual boost controller) and you can adjust your boost however you like.
Posted Image

it is installed between the OVCP (over valve cover pipe) and the wasgate actuator under the turbo. here is the above MBC installed on my car.
Posted Image

until you get a decent boost gauge and the manual boost controller you can up boost from 7psi to 10psi with a simple little trick we used back in the day. just install a vacuum line T fitting in the same place you would install the MBC, it will bump you up a couple psi and give the car a little more kick. just install the vacuum line coming from the OVCP and run to one end of the T and install the line coming from the actuator on the other end of the T and leave the top unplugged to allow it to leak off air. the air it leaks off will delay the opening of the wastegate and will allow the turbo to spool up a little more. its the same thing a MBC does but the MBC controller has a one way valve and a screw to adjust how much air to leak off.
Posted Image

as far as airflow improvements you can get a K&N filter for the stock air can that will allow a little more flow. a lot of us have converted to a MAFT (mass air flow translator) for a 1st gen eclipse which is what i am running in the pic above of my engine.

Edited by cyberquest, 25 March 2016 - 07:45 PM.

2005 Acura RL SH-AWD
Posted Image
Professor Quest's S.O.S (save our starquest) Manuals: http://starquest.i-x...wforum.php?f=12
E.T. and Dyno Database: http://www.sqperformance.com/

#6 prototype78

prototype78

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 12:46 AM

Nice e30...welcome to the club

#7 BenRoels

BenRoels

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 05:42 AM

@GINASQ
I know! It destroys the lines of the front of the car! It's coming of during the easter holidays since I'm going to order a license plate sticker. Not totally legal and I could get fined for it but it will look better!

@cyberquest
Thanks man! I already got a MBC and I was looking for a good boost gauge but I might 'borrow' the gauge of a friend for a while. Now I'm sure where to put the MBC! I'm going to PM you about the MAFT, I think my dad has one like that laying around in his garage. Again thanks for the superb info!

@prototype78
Actually it's an E28 (524TD). It was owned by a mate but he sold it...

#8 cyberquest

cyberquest

Power Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,963 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 10:18 AM

a couple other things you will want to go with the MAFT is a wideband a/f meter so you can tune the translator, and a fuel pressure gauge is a good idea also so once you turn up the boost you can make sure its got enough fuel pressure.

i will also say this, make sure you have the car running good before you start turning up boost. address any issues it may have first and once everything is 100% then you can start playing with the boost. if your just running the stock turbo i wouldnt go any higher then 15psi and thats pushing the stock turbo to its limits. and running the stock turbo at 15psi will shorten its lifespan and remember thats a 30yr old turbo so its already got a lot of miles on it. i would say running around the street cruising i would just stay around 12psi, but if one of your mates wants to do a straight line race then you could bump it up to 15psi to get a little more of a edge..... :)
2005 Acura RL SH-AWD
Posted Image
Professor Quest's S.O.S (save our starquest) Manuals: http://starquest.i-x...wforum.php?f=12

#9 BenRoels

BenRoels

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 04:15 PM

So I couldn't help myself buying a second Starion, certainly with the specs it has...
It's a 89 2.6 widebody, SHP wheels, light beige with black interior, T80 blue color, only 74.000km (46.000miles). The interior, wheels and engine are in great condition! It's a very solid body, it only needs a respray and be assembled. It's a bit of a project but it looks so cool already!
The plans:
- respray it in T80 blue
- lower it with Eibach springs
- gut the cat in the downpipe add an exhaust valve before the second cat
- install A/F gauge, turbo pressure gauge and maybe a fuel pressure gauge

The pictures:
Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 ALew

ALew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Model:Other

Posted 17 May 2016 - 06:23 PM

Nice find!

#11 starquestJOE

starquestJOE

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts
  • Interests:buy one buy EM ALL!!!!!

Posted 17 May 2016 - 08:00 PM

Thats a very rare car over here. Awesome find. Need more pics

IM STARQUEST 4 LIFE ....
88 tsi-80k one owner bone stock R88 unicorn
87 tsi - red - sometimes mine sometimes ryans
89 tsi-46k-red but not for long!!!
88 esi-r-white-SOLD
88 tsi white 61k-SOLD
89 tsi-black-rip
87 tsi-black/red-SOLD
88 tsi yellow sold
89 tsi white parts car
88 esi-r-black-RIP
87 tsi-somewhere in MD....need to pick it up
                    88and 89parts car...need parts???
          lookin for  RHD starion and part to convert to RHD
Posted Image

#12 TexasQuest

TexasQuest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,388 posts
  • Interests:TSi's & VR4's

Posted 17 May 2016 - 08:26 PM

Awesome, you got a RHD & a LHD car! Indeed a rare color/interior combo anywhere in the world!
88 Fiji Blue -Tsi
Zoom clutch, Fidanza flywheel, Stedebani shifter, KYB's, ST springs, ST swaybars, abs delete, a/c delete, cruise delete, JVE, BSEK, TEP steel brake lines, LSP braided cooler lines, CX Racing radiator,  MK1 silicone hoses, MK1 pullies, *DM hard pipes & intercooler,14G turbo, ported exh. manifold, MAF Translator, 3.5" GM maf, Turbo XS RFL bov, *DM 3" exhaust, Cusco front strut bar, TEP rear strut bar, Enkei 92's, HKS turbo timer, AEM wideband, AEM boost gauge, AEM oil pressure gauge, Hallman boost controller
Posted Image

View PostJohnnyWadd, on 04 March 2010 - 10:01 PM, said:

my shaft was big i dont know what your talking about.

#13 pcristquester

pcristquester

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts
  • Interests:Family, fishing, Starquests and other unique cars. IPA and IIPA

Posted 18 May 2016 - 07:54 AM

I'd like to see a whole outside pic of that T80 car
Posted Image

#14 cyberquest

cyberquest

Power Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,963 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 09:33 AM

i need you to buy a lottery ticket for me because you have to be the luckest guy in Belgium, i cant imagine there are very many starquests over there and for you to find not one but two....wow. then to top it off finding a 89 SHP T80 car with tan and black interior has to be one of the rarest finds i have seen in a long time.

that car would go for BIG money here in the states. GREAT FIND !!
2005 Acura RL SH-AWD
Posted Image

#15 BenRoels

BenRoels

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 08:19 AM

Thanks guys!
I will make a lot of pictures when it's finished. Then I'll make like a 'before and after' thing!

The RHD will have to go I'm afraid, the T80 car needs a lot of attention (read 'money') to get it in the condition it deserves to be in. Plus I'm going back to school next year so I really can't afford to have so many cars (2 Starions, 1 Mitsubishi Sapporo, 1 Honda Civic).

It still is an awesome find, this car is like a unicorn over here between the Starion owners. A lot of stories are being told about it. It used to be in mint condition, but the place where it was stored was broken into. The car got completely vandalised! Then the guy, of whom I bought my RHD from, bought it and afterwards sold it to a younger guy who started restoring it. He did a lot to the exterior, inside and engine bay are in great condition. Since he has bought a house with his GF, he was willing to sell it to me. I will complete the restoration and bring it back to its former glory!

#16 HomerRamone

HomerRamone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 03:22 AM

What are you going to do with the RHD one ?

#17 BenRoels

BenRoels

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 05:58 AM

It's for sale right now. The problem is that in Belgium nobody knows what a Starion is, so the market is really small...

#18 starquestJOE

starquestJOE

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts
  • Interests:buy one buy EM ALL!!!!!

Posted 20 May 2016 - 09:01 AM

Ship that red one over here and ill take it !

IM STARQUEST 4 LIFE ....
88 tsi-80k one owner bone stock R88 unicorn
87 tsi - red - sometimes mine sometimes ryans
89 tsi-46k-red but not for long!!!
88 esi-r-white-SOLD
88 tsi white 61k-SOLD
89 tsi-black-rip
87 tsi-black/red-SOLD
88 tsi yellow sold
89 tsi white parts car
88 esi-r-black-RIP
87 tsi-somewhere in MD....need to pick it up
                    88and 89parts car...need parts???
          lookin for  RHD starion and part to convert to RHD
Posted Image

#19 HomerRamone

HomerRamone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 02:48 AM

Hmmm.. Wonder how much would cost to ship to the UK .... :)

AAMOI How much you selling it for ?

Edited by HomerRamone, 24 May 2016 - 02:58 AM.

#20 BenRoels

BenRoels

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 06:31 AM

Okay, after some crazy weeks I finally can aswer the questions!
I'm asking 6000 euro. Before anyone says that's too much, let me explain the Starsuest market in Belgium. At the moment my widebody is the only one for sale over here! In the past two years 3 widebodies sold for 8,5k, 9k and 11,5k. Mine is not in perfect condition but I need to be gone quickly... But nobody knows starions over here so it's going slow.
There are some small bodies for sale (non intercooler ones) for 4,5k (2) and another one for 7,5k. So I think my 6k is not that much.

Price is negoicable. Shipping to the US will cost 1500-2000 euro. Shipping to the UK, I can drive it over there if it's not way in the north. I can take the plane back, so it will cost the price of the fuel and the plane ticket.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users