L4N71B Rebuild Walkthrough (well...Greatest Hits)

natallica

PART 1

Hey guys, I took some pics during my rebuild and just like Shelby and Alan have told me "This isn't near as bad as you may think". Well, they're correct. I've put this project off for quite a while but once I ordered the parts and got into it... it really wasn't that bad at all (a tranny stand would have been nice though :) . Now, I may not have done things the way a tranny expert may have done (this was my first). But I got everything back together, with no extra parts left over and I'm 99% sure I replaced everything serviceable, and the only parts that were worn out we're my drums, other than that, most other items showed no wear.

There hasn't really been a great deal of info about this so I thought I'd take some time to post my experience and hopefully it may assist someone else who's wanting to tackle this.

First I carefully started to disassemble the tranny on a clean work table, giving myself plenty of space to sort each section out.

After taking out a few snap rings and keeping the frictions and steels together "in their original order" I found my drums were both shot...also meaning the bands were shot.

After thoroughly cleaning all of the outer casing, I replaced the accumulator seal (using air to help release it)

New seals installed, old ones on the left.

re-installed snap ring

replaced seals in the band adjust diaphragm

being mindful of the fluid passages, this can only be "properly" installed one way.

Installing new Kevlar bands (courtesy of

MikeMeyerhoff)

replacing 4 more seals (they're split so they're a piece of cake, just don't break them)

checking specs in the pump section, all good there!

Check to be sure you don't forget the check-balls are in the right spots in the correct orientation (as per manual)

apply gasket (Vaseline helps hold them in position)

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff408/n8tallica1/continued_zps45b606fc.jpg

IN PART 2

Here's a list of a few Parts locations that I used (feel free to add more to this post)

Mike Meyerhoff (SQC member) - Kevlar Bands (requires core charge, reimbursed) approx $50.00

Master rebuild Kit (various suppliers available) for the L4N71B approx $200

JP Transmissions (TX) Direct Drum and OD Drum $20 Each plus shipping

Transmission Parts USA - Vacuum Modulator approx $30

Hope this helps a few fellas out there. And I'll post some more info when I get this installed and let you know if there are any new developments

:)

Thanks

-N8

Edited by natallica

PART 2

comparing new against old

Stacking the correct order (as per manual) into the rear section and securing with the snap ring

replacing seals on Governor section

Installing frictions and steels into drum

B fits into C (wiggling back and forth till it hits home) tends to be a PITA sometimes, but it's gotta get there

A Fits into B same technique as mentioned above

Installation of Planetary assembly

Sun gear installation (tall side up)

Inserting whole assembly onto intermediate shaft

thoroughly cleaning yucky parts

more seals

no pics but when installing the rear tailpiece, be sure to install Parking pawl/spring and washer, and properly align the shift rod.

I'm sure there is somethings missing from this, but when I remembered to take pics, I took them. And I may have missed a few steps, but like I said. If you have the manual and all of your parts on hand... most of this stuff only goes together one way, all down one axis. Take pictures during dissassembly and follow the manuals and it's not bad at all.

Finished product after paint, clear and powder coating the pan.

Here's a list of a few Parts locations that I used (feel free to add more to this post)

Mike Meyerhoff (SQC member) - Kevlar Bands (requires core charge, reimbursed) approx $50.00

Master rebuild Kit (various suppliers available) for the L4N71B approx $200

JP Transmissions (TX) Direct Drum and OD Drum $20 Each plus shipping

Transmission Parts USA - Vacuum Modulator approx $30

Hope this helps a few fellas out there. And I'll post some more info when I get this installed and let you know if there are any new developments

:)

Thanks

-N8

Edited by natallica

Great job Nate, nice clear pics, a well documented build! It's great to know that I have such a short distance to travel to drop off the 88' trans & voila; a beautifully done "spanky new trans!" ;)

Great job! I knew you could do it. Looks great also, I now have a parts washer for a better cleaning job. Wish I had thought to build a box cradle like you did, I just flipped it over. Congrats!!

Great job! I knew you could do it. Looks great also, I now have a parts washer for a better cleaning job. Wish I had thought to build a box cradle like you did, I just flipped it over. Congrats!!

Thanks for the Kudos fellas!

As for the box... Heatmiser had parts in it when I bought his car. I looked around the garage for some way to support this so I hacked some half moons out and...viola! It flipped forward a few times but all in all, it worked pretty good. :)

-N8

Edited by natallica

You bought a new modulator? Did you have to change pins or was the original one still the correct length?

Haven't gotten quite that far just yet. 89PalermoSHP recommended that site for one so that's where I'm ordering it from (just wanted to post links for members contemplating buying the parts).

I was looking for my ziplock baggie of accessories and I can't find it. But it was getting late.

-N8

• 4 months later...

You bought a new modulator? Did you have to change pins or was the original one still the correct length?

Same pin. I never experienced a stock auto in good condition before the rebuild but that modulator functioned better than what the trans shop supplied and one from napa. It shifted perfectly in both normal and performance type driving. The link shows they are out of stock. Hopefully thats temporary.