shift linkage adjustment

Anyone know the proper shift linkage adjustment procedure? The service manual isnt very good and seams if i get Park to work well then drive 2nd and L doesnt work correctly. I got my bushings pretty good so I dont think that is it.

Check this lever. This was taken in neutral. It's almost dead center in the slide.http://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae184/owenbyj/XMSN%20rebuild%20Jan%202010/100_1901.jpg

Check this lever. This was taken in neutral. It's almost dead center in the slide.

This thread is in the Automatic transmission forum.

Anyone know the proper shift linkage adjustment procedure? The service manual isnt very good and seams if i get Park to work well then drive 2nd and L doesnt work correctly. I got my bushings pretty good so I dont think that is it.

It might be the neutral safety switch itself.

Do you have all the linkage bushings still?

Edited by Metric-man

That pic is of my auto 89. The inhibitor switch will effect starting. If that lever is all the way over to one end, you will not get full travel at the park reverse side or the 1st/2nd side. Edited by Alan

Aligning the safety switch is what mandates the linkage position.

If the park or neutral position is off so will the drive speed and reverse selection.

No, whole different deal and procedure. Put the transmission selector shaft in park or netural, it will work either way. With the mounting bolts backed out rotate the switch unit the alignment pin engages then tighten bolts. All in the FSM. Does not move the shifter linkage, just the switch body on the transmission shaft input. If done correctly will not crank in gear unless the linkage is not correct.

• 2 months later...