Has anyone swapped the rear-end with some other independent suspension?

I seem to remember DJPowerHaus over at project zero g grafted an entire Silvia subframe (S12? S13?) to his 4G Starion? Someone should have a link to that project. I remember he posted pics a few years back. I also seem to recall he crashed that car?

That build might be located here:

http://projectzerog....forum/index.php

I'm on that site all the time since I'm putting together a 4g64/4g63 right now. I'm already gathering the parts to do a rack-n-pinion swap on the front which should also let me mount larger rims in the front. I've been looking at the 240SX rear suspension

http://www.240edge.com/basics/suspenre1.jpg

and I'm wondering if it could be easily adapted also. The part that limits going with larger rims is that the strut gets in the way.

Edited by AustinTSI

lol yeah it was drivable, then the rx8 motor took a hot dump, now hes got a rx7 turbo motor going in. Ambitions to say the least.

the OP, I see nothing but a down grade swapping to a 240 rear set up. TONS of work for something weaker. Yeah yeah more options.. whatever. Not going to yield any performance gain for the amount of work you would have to put into it. How may 240's run 10's on a stock diff?

Edited by Convette

Actually I was planning on keeping the diff. I want the suspension stuff like in the pic I included above. I agree that the diff is plenty capable and so are the half-shafts. But I have heard that the Q45 will drop into a 240SX and the Q45 shafts are the same as in a 300ZX-TT. I don't know how that compares to the StarQuest half-shafts but like you said it is nice to have options.

But what would be really nice is finding some kind of swap that would result in the shock absorbers being tucked in toward the diff another 1"-2" so that it would be possible to fit 11"-12" rims under the rear fender without have to cut into the body of the car. That's what I'm really after. And the Q45 diff does have VLSD. The 90-96 Q45 had a 3.54 final gear, and the 97-01 had a 3.69

Check out http://forums.nicocl...me-t304893.html

Edited by AustinTSI

That is another reason why I'm considering this. I'm going to be doing a T56 tranny swap and the stock diff will have to be changed anyways. I know I can put Montero gears in the Starion but I've heard that it is not that easy to get just right. I know there are now at least 4 diffs that will work in the s13 that all have different gears.

There was a member from Bahrain who had a skyline diff installed. Or maybe it was a WRX diff, skyline axles... something like that. He wanted gear ratio selection, he's a professional driver in the middle east.

Nissan VLSDs are crud compared to our clutch types. You'd be going a step backwards. For all the fabrication needed to do a diff swap, you could easily bolt in a 4.22 set and have the backlash set correctly and be way ahead of the 240sUx game.

-Robert

I have a t56, still running stock rear and stock axles By all means do what you want. I respect work more than most. Just hate to see you put in all that work into something thats weaker. IMO the stock diff with a t56 is perfect if making anything near 400tq. 1st through 4th are animals, and I get 30mpg on the highway because of 6th. I would change a thing about the gearing with this setup. Trust me its perfect for just about everything.

Convette, your using the stock diff with a stock T56 and you like the gearing? Everyone keeps talking about putting the 4.22 gears into the diff otherwise it is too sluggish.

What year T56 did you use?

He has a v8. A 4g motor should like the 3.90 or 4.22 gears even better than the 54 when mated to a t56. Truth is very few of these swaps out there. So very little real word experience.

I have a t56, still running stock rear and stock axles By all means do what you want. I respect work more than most. Just hate to see you put in all that work into something thats weaker. IMO the stock diff with a t56 is perfect if making anything near 400tq. 1st through 4th are animals, and I get 30mpg on the highway because of 6th. I would change a thing about the gearing with this setup. Trust me its perfect for just about everything.

So "convette" are you saying the stock diff with a ls1/T56 is ok ? this is what im planning as my next build and im trying to get all the info/parts I can get together.

I'm running 11.5s in the rear, just fine. D Venable just mounted 12s. No cutting required. Rolling and camber yes, but no cutting.

Ive got 11's in the rear and I didn't cut anything but a bit off the stock pearches in the back. I'm at a 0 camber and just a light roll of the fenders. The options are pretty much endless for suspension, it's just not going to be cookey cutter bolt in stuff.

This would also allow you to fab a mount point in the 1"-2" you want, though I don't know why, and woudn't really recomend doing that ether. There is a realy good reason it's out on the bottom and in more at the top. Helps allot with dampening from the shocks, and with camber for handeling. Moving that point in will be getting rid of almost all your camber ablity unless you modified the towers.

Edited by jszucs

that was the blue cinquest car from way back, that thing was a beast.

It still is a beast according to James (Clarence2) I guess he knows that fellow and still talks to him occasionally.

BC_99

• 2 weeks later...

Nissan VLSDs are crud compared to our clutch types. You'd be going a step backwards.

Truth. The Club Loose setup guide even recommends welding your VLSD rather than trying to use it to drift, they overheat fast and stop working as LSD's. Going VLSD doesn't make sense.

From Club Loose, Item #1 in their list:

1) COILOVERS AND DIFF (2WAY OR WELDED, NO VLSD) - you should really do this at the same time, so the order of these two doesn't really matter. without a good diff, you are only spinning one wheel. this makes the car A: unpredictable and B: much hard to make step out into a slide and maintain the slide. so get a good diff... Kaaz, ATS, Tomei, OS Giken, Nismo (not the street one), etc... or have a shop weld it good and deal with the bad parking. VLSD's are junk, after 1 run they get too hot and start slipping, effectively becoming an open diff and useless. coilovers, you know what you need coilovers or give up your car and stop driving.

Edited by Fuze