Engine Rebuild

Anyone try this T.E.P. engine package? Any comments?

Street Engine Rebuild Package $995.00

4 New Hypereutectic Pistons. ( Std, .030, .040 over )

Total-Seal Piston Rings

Balance Shaft Eliminator kit

Timing Component Kit for use with balance eliminator

Clevite 77 rod and main bearings

Head gasket set

Lower end gasket set

New Head bolts

Heavy Duty Valve spring set

TEP Camshaft Upgrade

New water pump

Street Port and Polish $280.00 (Is this the average rate?)

Or this TEP Package - Anyone have any other suggestions?

Street Strip Turbo Package $995.00

NEW 14G Sport Turbo (I’d like to upgrade this to a 16G or 16G Sport)

Stainless Steel Oil Feed Line  

2.5" Downpipe with new 1 wire 02 sensor  

Manual Boost Controller  

Is this a good package for the $$$, other options? suggestions  

Your never going to get anything done with your quest, that involves removing yourself from infront of the computer cuz u have a ton of posts! ;D

Dunno if you have ever dealt with TEP but there are mixed opinions about them.  Yes they are a good resource to get certain items and actually have alot for the starquest but of course spend some time researching your options.

I've had decent dealings with them, but others have not. They have always came through for me.  Those prices for what they offer there seem good to me.  Maybe steep on the turbo package, but if you were to price that stuff elsewhere, you would be paying the same or more, so it matters how you look at it.  Some stuff they offer is stuf you can do yourself if you have a place to work on your car, or a local exhaust shop can do that type of work cheaper, and more convenient than order from TEP and installing yourself.  

Tim C.

I have a conquest and i have two motors the on that is in the car as of now and the one that is setting in my shop but I the one in the car is hurt.   the oil plug fell out and I was not aware of it.   I may have burned the turbo up and I fried the barrings it has a funny sounding miss and/or knock I am not sure yet I just got it running the other day.    what can I do to the other motor that is cheap but will be fast when I put it in.   I have a 86 tsi that I got it with a locked up motor and a 86 technica that was rolled with a good motor and that is the one that I hurt so I would like some opinions any ideas

Check around on the net, and call local engine builders/machine shops.  I was looking at the packages a while back, but after talking with a local machine shop they could rebuild the engine using the same parts (i.e. Kieth Black pistons, Clevelite Bearings, etc.) for around $1200 including all machine work and assembly.  This was with me pulling the engine.  They also had experience doing turbo G54B's as the owner has several turbo'd Dodge Raiders.  Using the TEP parts and having someone do you machine work and you're own assembly will easily run over this amount.  He said he would machine and sell me parts if I want to assemble, but it would only save me $100 to $150. He quoted me a price of $1600 to $1700 if I needed a new head.

• 3 weeks later...

just be careful if you hand it to a local.  i tried to do the same thing and then ended up having to get teh motor rebuilt again when i crashed after 1400 miles.  the bearings were so bad you could not see the oil galley, and the pistons were locked into the  block.  when i took it back to the place that built it, they told me i had pushed too much boost, causing it to lean out and fry.  of course that was bullstinky.  i had less than stock boost, 9.5 psi, and an a/f gauge.  i never got anywhere near lean.  it was just their excuse not to warranty me.

so be CAREFULL.  do alot of research b4 you commit to a machinist.  they are not all thieves like the guys that i dealt with, but many are, so make sure you are dealing with someone reputable.

I agree that you need to be careful,  you need to find someone you can trust.  Ask around.  Talk to the machinest and find out what kind of experience they have with the engine.  If they have no experience with the g54b I'd look somewhere else.  My point about finding someone local had to do with trust and cost.  TEP is very expensive in comparison and from the posts I've read they aren't too good at honoring their warrenties either.

I am building my own motor so that I know that it is done right I am just looking for Ideas on what I should do to it to get more out of it.   I have done what I know to the motor with out having to tear it down all the way I have not taken the top off of it and hope that I dont have to.

Welcome.

To create a "new" topic you have

to get out of a specific thread. Go

into one of the main folder

(i.e. Forums index, StarQuest

Modifications, Engine Mods)

and click on " post new thread."

Hope this helps.

Frank a.k.a. Blue

;D

• 2 weeks later...
what does the kit have in it and I am interested I am having major problems with my 86 quest I cant seem to keep it on the road.   what all is in the kit and what is it set to std or what and does top-end have a web page.

To anyone who is interested, here is the tep engine kit:

Street Engine Rebuild Package

4 New Hypereutectic Pistons. ( .040 over)

Total-Seal Piston Rings  

Head gasket set  

Lower end gasket set  

New Head bolts  

TEP Camshaft Upgrade  

New water pump  

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Anyone try this T.E.P. engine package? Any comments?

Street Engine Rebuild Package $995.00

4 New Hypereutectic Pistons. ( Std, .030, .040 over )

Total-Seal Piston Rings

Head gasket set

Lower end gasket set

New Head bolts

TEP Camshaft Upgrade

New water pump

Street Port and Polish $280.00 (Is this the average rate?)

Or this TEP Package - Anyone have any other suggestions?

Street Strip Turbo Package $995.00

NEW 14G Sport Turbo (I’d like to upgrade this to a 16G or 16G Sport)

Stainless Steel Oil Feed Line  

2.5" Downpipe with new 1 wire 02 sensor  

Manual Boost Controller  

Is this a good package for the $$$, other options? suggestions  

I can do that entire $995 package (with the machinsts bill included) for about $600 (I build motor myself). You can do it cheaper, but its your labor you spend. I like to know what all the measurements are on all the beaings, instead of relying on someone who doesn't care about YOUR individual motor... Nothing against TEP, or any other shop, but no one will take better care of your car than you.

Joel