SDS thread

Figure I'd start up an SDS thread up...

I did some rough mock ups today for my SDS EM3E. I located  a good place for the crank sensor. I found there are 2 bolts on the timing cover right next to the alternator that are vacant.

One thing is the sensor magnets need to be mounted on the back side of the ALTERNATOR pulley as the PS pulley has no clearance behind it due to the crank pulley recesing into the timing cover. If you ever change the PS belt your going to need to remove the sensor. There really isn't any other choice I can see unless you mount the magnets to the front of the crankpulley, but then you would need an excessively long bracket and a lot of clutter in the front.

My solid pulley on the backside of the wall is slightly angled in so I need to contact SDS and see what they say about that. I may need to tack on an angled shim to make sure the magnets are in straight. The sensor mounts staright and flush so obviously the magnets need to be close enough and straight.

I looked at my 87 dampned pulley and the pulley is flat on the back but I don't like the idea of that rubber that joins the pulleys to the actual center section that bolts to the crank. What's to say with good enough force that it won't seperate, slip or spin and throw off timing making an extra tuning gremlin? Can't say for sure but it sure looks like it could be a weak link to me.  

I will update as I hear from SDS and as I putz with it over the months coming up.

Mike K

Hey Mike, I think my Unorthodox underdrive pulley is flat on the back.  If you ever think you might put one on now is the time.  

Just something to ponder.  I got mine pretty cheap from Summit.

Frank

I was looking at your profile and thought damn that is a nice set-up and then I saw it was you Frank  ;D

How do you like the pulley? Chad likes his and the others that have them like them.

Any charging problems??

And what about belt sizes?

Glad ya made it over here Frank!

Mike K

No real problems that I'm concerned with.  Somtimes at red lights the lights will dim a little but a small rev takes car of it.  All I did as far as belt size was get one about 1/2" shorter.  I was a bit suprised when I put it on, it actually made a difference.  I wasn't really extpecting a noticable difference but I got it.  It was most noticable in off boost performance.

Good luck

Frank