150-170 MPH Top Speed + Fuel Efficiency 5th Gear

Oscar_the_Grouch

Well You read CORRECTLY...

I am working with the HIGH POSSIBILITY of making this a reality.

We all know that the StarQuest's 5th gear is ONLY 300 or 400 RPM less than 4th gear, making it rather useless for top end speed and for Fuel Efficiency.

So getting a taller 5th gear will increase the RPM gap between 4th and 5th WITHOUT AFFECTING the other gears or "In Town" Drivability. This part is ALREADY available for the Eclipse so reliability and practicality is NOT an issue.

So...What will YOU do with an EXTRA +/- 1000 USEABLE RPM's ?

The price is NOT yet determined as the part DOES NOT YET EXIST but with aprox 50 gears spoken for it can be in the $160.00 to $190.00 range. I will find out wether this will work ONLY with the 5 Speed model trany or will work with the Auto's as well.

I will keep info comming as I get it.

Once I get confirmation that it can be done I will like to collect a DEPOSIT NOT YET DETERMINED to get production going.

If you are interested in this and price looks good to you PLEASE e-mail me oscardortega@yahoo.com AND Post here and I will add you to the mailing list so you can be keeped updated of ANY and ALL changes as they happen.

NEW INFO bellow in RED

This from the POSSIBLE future manufacturer...

The 5th gear for the Starion/Conquest could be straight cut or helical.  Only, helical gears almost double the price.  Straight cut gears can handle much, much more load, and are less taxing on the transmission.  (Helical gears want to "side" load the bearings withing the transmission... The more torque put through them, the more pressure is transferred to the bearings.)  This is not the case with straight cut gears.

NOTE: Straight Cut Gears are VERY similar to gears found in racing trany's so they WILL have a "Whine" to them (Similar to a Reverse Gear) so this may or may not be suitable for all applications.

The gear change could be made availabvle for the automatics, but would be a different part...thereby requiring another large quantity to keep the price close to reasonable.

The gear ratio can be whatever you'd like to make it.  The one on the Eclipse is .5:1.  This is the same ratio as the top gear in the 6 spd. Corvettes and some others.

As for NOW this is ALL the info I have so please no TECHNICAL Q's as I cannot answer them.

Thanks

Oscar

"Orte-Flex" Steel Braid Lines / Big Brakes / 180MPH Top Speed

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im sorry, but i dont think this will be possible for less than 500 each. we dont have a setup like a talon were the counter shaft has seperate replacable gear units on it, we have a big nasty solid heavy shaft, with the gears on it, you would have to make a pair of gears, and make it possible to replace the gear that is on the countershaft... If you can make it work i think a lot of people will be in, including myself, but that sounds like a big job, esspecialy remembering what all i went through to rebuild my 5 speed.... and anyone else who has been there knows what i mean.

Go for it though man, it would be worth 500 in my book.

Even if the price DOES go up to around $500, count me in! I was on the freeway last night, just thinking about this. I don't care too much about a top speed, I just want better freeway milage.

Jay

I'm definately interested!!! That is:

-if the final price is less than $200

-if the average person could do it theirself with basic tools

I've never liked the 5th gear in our cars, because on the interstate you're running the car at 3000+ rpms. This would be awesome dream come true!

Josh

Certainly would be a nice upgrade.  I think about having one all the time.

I think that the 88-89 might need a different part than the '87 trannies, since I've heard that they are heavier duty gears.  But I've never looked at them.

I would probably be interested even at $500, but I have a many other parts to buy before I would have that kind of $$ to spend on 5th gear.

Josh

Look in the yard for early truck five speeds and you may find a fifth that when fitted (if it can be made to fit) to a starion box will provide a  taller ratio....  I have seen the part but I have no idea what it came out of.  It had the same final ratio because the reduction to the counter shaft was steeper.....

The best i can promise is that there is a factory gear cut on the same sahft to sahft center line as your five speed with a taller ratio...  The rest of it needs to be figured out.

Kevin C  

Look in the yard for early truck five speeds and you may find a fifth that when fitted (if it can be made to fit) to a starion box will provide a  taller ratio....  I have seen the part but I have no idea what it came out of.  It had the same final ratio because the reduction to the counter shaft was steeper.....

The best i can promise is that there is a factory gear cut on the same sahft to sahft center line as your five speed with a taller ratio...  The rest of it needs to be figured out.

Kevin C  

Hey Kevin

You are talking about the FINAL DRIVE ( Gear and Pinion GEar set ) Yest a Raider and or montero will have the gears BUT that will change ALL of your gears ratio. No other Mitsubishi vehicle besides the Montero and the Raider/Mighty max use the same trany and the TRUCKS will have a lower gear, THEY ARE TRUCKS.

Oscar

For the rest of you guys I will get as much info as I can and I was assured it could be done for less than $250.00 and possibly in the price range mentioned above. BUT I will have to MAKE sure it will happen before I even COMMIT My OWN MONEY .

Just for the record I AM NOT a mechanic NOR I pretend to be one. But I know the difference between a Carburator and a Batery !

I am a Photographer so I am relying on the opinion of the shop that has made it happen before for another application. So as of NOW they know MORE than I DO !

Stay Tuned

Oscar

This from the POSSIBLE future manufacturer...

The 5th gear for the Starion/Conquest could be straight cut or helical.  Only, helical gears almost double the price.  Straight cut gears can handle much, much more load, and are less taxing on the transmission.  (Helical gears want to "side" load the bearings withing the transmission... The more torque put through them, the more pressure is transferred to the bearings.)  This is not the case with straight cut gears.

NOTE: Straight Cut Gears are VERY similar to gears found in racing trany's so they WILL have a "Whine" to them (Similar to a Reverse Gear) so this may or may not be suitable for all applications.

Im sorry, but i dont think this will be possible for less than 500 each. we dont have a setup like a talon were the counter shaft has seperate replacable gear units on it, we have a big nasty solid heavy shaft, with the gears on it, you would have to make a pair of gears, and make it possible to replace the gear that is on the countershaft... Go for it though man, it would be worth 500 in my book.

Hey John

Thanks for the insight on this, I have forwarded this and the other questions and concerns to the manufacturer. So we'll see what they have to say about it.

Thanks for your imput.

Oscar

Hey TSI-Tom

I Hear you man I have the SAME Problem....

But I rather hear the Hi-Perf. Trany than my GF's Whine "N-E-Time"

Man I am Glad she does NOT look at this board !  ;D

But seriously, the only way out of that is a HELICAl Cut Gear and that will double the price EASY. I guess we'll see how this things goes and I will take it from there. I know we will NOT have enough guys to make TWO styles a STRAIGHT CUT and a HELICAL Cut Gear set.

I'll keep you posted.

I'll also add you to the mailing list for future updates.

Oscar

If you get it done, I would definately go with Helical gears.  The stock gears are, and the transmission shafts are designed for the axial load produced by helical gears- they have a thrust bearing to take that load.  Also, helical gears actually handle slightly higher torques than straight-cut gears of the same size.  

If the 4th and 5th gear ratios are so close, why not swap the 5th, into the 5th position, and make a higher 5th?

just a thought...

Wish it was that SIMPLE ! The fourth and fith gears are TOTALLY different in size and shape and they DO NOT interchange.

Now HONESTLY.... if it would have been THAT simple do you think someone would have done it by now ?

Oscar

Actually Oscar I don't think it would've been done by now. Not to say that it wouldn't have been thought of. But considering the price of doing such things it's not on a priority list if you know what I mean. People tend to do things the hard way, and don't look at the simplicity of somethings. Just my thought, oh and by the way i'm still in.

I'll be sure to worry about the whining in the tranny as I busting 140 mph down the highway  ;D.

I have a spare 5-speed sitting in my garage that I need to do something with with.  I'll use it to install the gears, and of course have it rebuilt.  That way I'll know I have a freash tranny in the woo-ride.  :) ;)

Can't wait to get this!!!

I'll be sure to worry about the whining in the tranny as I busting 140 mph down the highway  ;D. the woo-ride.  :) ;)

LOL The woo-ride, that's pimp man, Yeah I don't think I'm goin got be minding the whine as well, I sure as hell won't be minding the 8's and Euro car drivers faces as I'm passing them..... :o :o >:(, ah hahahahaha ;D