Walbro GSL392 pump...PICTURES!!!

Professor Quest

IT'S DONE! Pictures of the installed pump and some tips are on my web site.         You need the GSL392 pump and the "INSTALL KIT" 400-952. Ron Gregory from http://www.autoperformanceengineering.com/   (866) 383-5786  $151 for both parts. Your Conical filter will not fit this fuel pump. The Wix filter is a better replacement. Wix p/n 33278 Carquest p/n 86278 Napa p/n 3278 about $7.00 How about a new gasket for the fuel tank drain? MB129662 $.97  In tank fuel filter MB129890 $5.79  High pressure fuel filter (engine compartment) MB504732 $19.97   Thanks Justpaus for the picture!! You're just like Bob Crane............in more ways than one. ;D

Greetings,

The Professor called me today, to get some information.  He said that members of this forum are being told they can get a Walbro fuel pump kit for their Starion/Conquest.  When then get the kit, they find that the kit is not a bolt-in replacement.  Please don't blame Walbro.  blame your vendor.

The Professor asked me to do my best to clear things up.  I am NOT here to sell you something.  I am only here to provide you information.

A few years ago Walbro saw the need for an external fuel pump line that would replace Bosch and Denso pumps.   They created the GSL39x pumps.  They are all the same size and have 10mm x 1.0 threads at each end.

Walbro then created some kits that would be OE replacements for certain vehicles.  Those kits contain the GSL39x pump that is closest to OE specs and a plastic bag with any other parts an owner would need to do the swap.  Those kits have part numbers GCL6xx.  For example, the Starion/Conquest OE replacement kit is GCL616.  That kit contains the GSL393 pump and the installation bag-o-bits 400-952.

http://apeusa.com/pics/gcl616.jpg

The installation bag-o-bits contains a 12mm inlet fitting [128-3025] along with a 12mm threaded fitting [128-3075] that is sorta like a banjo fitting [but different].  The kit also contains the wiring terminals and nuts, and a foam sleeve.  Plus, there are a couple unique aluminum washers that are only used in the 400-952 kit.  They are used with your OE fittings to connect the outlet.

Since most of you are looking for performance upgrade pumps, you can't just order the GCL616 kit.  If you call a vendor that doesn't deal with these pumps all the time, and ask for a kit that contains the high pressure 255 pump [GSL392], you'll probably end up with the wrong installation bag-o-bit.  You really need to get the 400-952.

Summary

-----------

Get the 400-952 installation bag-o-bits and then whatever external pump you'll need to support your power level.

You can find flow graphs for all the GSL39x pumps on the "External" page of http://apeusa.com

Thanks,

Ron Gregory

Auto Performance Engineering

Oh yeah here we go.  The perfect kit!  This kit requires no modification at all to the fuel lines.  Good thing I didn't cut that banjo fitting yet.  Saturdays headache was worth all this Professor.

THANKS

BuGG

http://www.autoperformanceengineering.com/pics/gsl392.jpg

Here's the flow chart from the 255lph pump...

http://2.6liter.com/userfiles/JustPaus/Walbro%20Fuel%20Pump.jpg

^^^Installed^^^

I have a small question...  Aren't these fittings available somewhere?  Just the fittings.. Like in Bugg's case, he has the pump already but needs the correct fittings..

I'm sure that buying just the pump(without install kit) and then buying the correct fittings($3-4 a piece?) would be cheaper in the long run... I mean. they're just fittings ???  Right?

So, places like importpowerwhatever.com could still be used.. The guy who runs importpower has been on the forums before..  I'm sure he could setup the right fittings..

Its all vendor prefrence.  I got the pump at Importpoweronline but I will be getting the install kit from APE.  I prefer APE for the same reason Professor said in an earlier post.  They do fuel pumps only.  Fuel pumps isn't one of many things they do so APE specializes in pumps.  I think there should be a group buy for this as well.  Call them up and ask for Ron.  Very cool guy to speak with.  

BuGG  

I'm going to attempt to avoid all the paperwork nightmare that a Group Purchase generates.   I'm going to offer a June Special.

Now through the end of June, APE is giving StarQuest members a fifteen percent discount when you order an external fuel pump and install kit for your car.

So, that means

GSL393 w/ 400-952 = $120 + 10.50 = 130.50 - 15% = 110.93

GSL391 w/ 400-952 = $130 + 10.50 = 140.50 - 15% = 119.43

GSL392 w/ 400-952 = $140 + 10.50 = 150.50 - 15% = 127.93

Just add the pump and installation parts to your shopping cart, then use the promotion code STARQUEST to get your discount.

I don't currently have any 400-952 kits in stock.  They don't move too quickly so I don't stock more than a couple.  You guys are going to change that.   I just ordered 25 more.  The warehouse has 7 that they are shipping tomorrow, and they'll have more from Walbro by the end of the week or early next week.  If you guys order more than 25, I'll get more.

If you have non credit card paypal funds you'd rather use, send 'em to my personal paypal account - ron@gregoryusa.net. Be sure to tell me what you want.

I'll fill all the orders that arrive through the end of June.  If I run out, I'll ship 'em as soon as I can.

Prices include shipping via USPS Priority Mail.  Orders that have to go outside the US will be shipped via USPS Global Express, and you'll need to pay a bit more to cover that... check http://ircalc.usps.gov/ for shipping details.   A single pump is two pounds when it's all packed-up.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Ron Gregory

Auto Performance Engineering

http://apeusa.com/

One call to Ron (toll free) and you get the pump OR the install kit.  ;D I'm not sure other vendors KNOW what kit we need, however. ??? I explained to Ron the fittings we needed. He knew EXACTLY the kit to supply with the RIGHT gaskets/washers. ;D

I have a small question...  Aren't these fittings available somewhere?  Just the fittings.. Like in Bugg's case, he has the pump already but needs the correct fittings.

I'm sure that buying just the pump(without install kit) and then buying the correct fittings($3-4 a piece?) would be cheaper in the long run... I mean. they're just fittings ???  Right?

The problem that most folks have is the fact that the Walbro pumps have 10mm x 1.0 threads.  You probably won't find fittings at AutoZone with those threads.  Most hydraulic shops don't carry metric fittings, either.  I haven't been able to find 'em in the aftermarket; I have to get mine from Walbro.

If you can find the fittings, you'll also need those special aluminum washers to get your outlet fitting to seal properly.  I don't know of anyone that carries those.

so what are the differences between the 3 pumps?

They are all physically the same size and shape.  The only differences are the flow characteristics.   Go to the "External" page of http://apeusa.com and click on the "flow graph" links under each part number.

For example - at 60 psi with a 12 volt source

GSL393 - ~29 gal/hr - enough for about 300 hp

GSL391 - ~33 gal/hr - enough for about 350 hp

GSL392 - ~52 gal/hr - enough for about 600 hp

If you send 13-14 volts to the pumps, you'll get even more fuel

I'm still confused.

I want to be able to support 350HP, so I will need:

pump GSL391 added to cart

install kit 400-952 no where to be found on site.

however, the price of the kit is exactly the same as the install kit GCL616.  BUT

Since most of you are looking for performance upgrade pumps, you can't just order the GCL616 kit.  If you call a vendor that doesn't deal with these pumps all the time, and ask for a kit that contains the high pressure 255 pump [GSL392], you'll probably end up with the wrong installation bag-o-bit.  You really need to get the 400-952.

That makes no sense.  First I'm told to get 400-952, but it's not on the website.  So I look for the closest thing, GCL616 kit.  But the quote above from Ron says taht's not it.  ??? ??? ???

Ok let me see if I can get this straight.  This FP is a direct replacement?  ... that is as long as you have the kit to go with the FP.  If that is the case IM IN!!!!  I have about 3wks left to get my megasquirt working and I need a FP and I was just about to look into the 2315 or what number for the vovlo unit that can be obtained through AutoZone.  But this sounds like a much better deal.  Any ways if someone could clear this up for me i'd be much apreciated :)

L8r

Zero