4 replies to this topic

#1 Hightops76

Hightops76

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Model:Other

Posted 07 April 2021 - 07:11 PM

I noticed my 87 starting to crank over a lot at the end of last season, we’ll just got her out, and it starts right up, but after I drive it and shut it off it cranks and cranks, what do you think it is?

#2 croquest87

croquest87

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Interests:all things mechanical
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 07 April 2021 - 08:43 PM

Leaking primary injector? Bad temperature sensor?(to much fuel) See if it cranks less  if you hold the pedal to the floor while starting. Could be other things but this would be a good start for troubleshooting. If injector leaks it floods your engine and takes a while to get rid of that fuel as now hot engine dont need it. If temp sensor is bad or wiring to it  Ecu has no clue what amount of fuel to send to the engine(stuck in basically chocke position).

Edited by croquest87, 07 April 2021 - 08:49 PM.

#3 Hightops76

Hightops76

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Model:Other

Posted 09 April 2021 - 08:27 PM

Went for a ride tonight, again started after 3 or 4 cranks, then stopped and cranks a lot. I tried holding petal to floor, but no change. It seems to be running hot, gauge is in middle, but when I open the hood up, it feels real hot, does not feel right. turned the air on to see if all fans worked, the two in back of rad were on, the one in front was on but had stopped, so all good there right. Injectors were changed 2 seasons ago.

#4 Jody1

Jody1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 03:39 PM

Tim C., from the board, recommends a Ford remote starter coil.  Sends voltage directly to the starter, instead of though the 30 year old, key circuit, etc.

the other, more difficult option, is to clean up the 30 year old key circuit connections.  Kev, from the boards, has a write up on this.

#5 Jody1

Jody1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 03:46 PM

http://www.starquest...howtopic=158491

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users