#61 CaptainSlow

CaptainSlow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Interests:Stuff
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 03 May 2018 - 08:42 PM

Bit of an update. Not that much going on.

Since I've determined spark is a non-issue, I'm chasing fueling issues. It's likely everything is crudded up due to how nasty the tank was when I refurbed it, and there never being an in-tank filter.

First I decided to replace the injector clips, mainly because they were cheap, and likely needed to be replaced anyway. Wasn't expecting a real fix and never got one. Pics anyway -

Definitely need to be soldered instead, but this'll do for the time being.
Posted Image

These were the old ones. Not factory but not new by any means either. They were wired in beautifully as with everything else on this car.
Posted Image

Next I ran and picked up a generic Wix fuel filter. Was able to get it locally, otherwise I would have ordered an OEM one. It's the same kind that was on the car already so I doubt it'll be a problem.

Needless to say it needed a change.

This was only tapping it a couple times on the concrete. Didn't keep trying to clean it out for fear of staining the driveway lol.
Posted Image

New filter in
Posted Image

As necessary as that was, it didn't really help with the issue at hand. The FPR was still showing extremely low pressure, and almost zero when the car warmed up. It was still running with the gauge resting at 0 so I'm not sure if the pump or the FPR is bad.
I'm leaning towards the pump, at least at first, since it's probably terribly gunked up just like the filter was, and it'll be cheaper to replace than getting a new rising rate FPR. That'll likely happen in the near future, but I gotta take this one step at a time.

Well, at least the car is running. Not happily, but running. So I didn't totally screw it up yet.

Side note - I may or may not be having to trade in the daily (Golf R) due to financial reasons, but if I do hopefully it would finally allow a little bit more money to flow into this project. That's been the main thing slowing progress as of late. I won't bother trying to sell the Conquest, I WAY overpaid for it when I got it, and in the condition it's in, I won't be able to make most of that money back. As they say, hindsight is 20/20, but I still love this thing.

<_<
@TheRealCaptainSlow

#62 CaptainSlow

CaptainSlow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 06:02 PM

Took her to a show and got at least 1 decent picture.

Posted Image

And that's about it. I'm waiting on a fuel pump while the car continues to be a moody b!tch. Same as always.

:excl:
@TheRealCaptainSlow

#63 tsi_tom

tsi_tom

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 06:32 PM

What I would have done is to run the fuel pump with the test connector and see if any junk comes out and how fast the gas is coming out when you had the fuel filter off.
Engine
20 over forged pistons
Stock injection system

My restoration project: The Missouri Project

#64 CaptainSlow

CaptainSlow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 09:40 PM

Haven't updated this much but I have been working on the car quite a bit. Sadly to no avail.

I was chasing fueling issues for a while and only after wasting money on that fuel pump (among other things) I realize the regulator was only way out of adjustment.

However, after figuring out the fuel pressure issue, a new (worse) problem showed up. Any time the car hits boost it cuts out HARD and won't rev over 3k. Take a look at this video.

Since that's right when the secondary injector is supposed to kick in, I took out the injectors and had them serviced. That was easy and cheap enough and they are working great now, however it didn't fix my issue. I confirmed both injectors are working by switching the plugs and it ran.

Looks like it's not an injector issue. But this is pretty much the point where my knowledge stops. Only thing I can think of left to test is the coolant temp sensor.

I hate to do it but at this point I may just give in a take it to somebody. I think I need a second set of eyes looking at it and I'm getting burnt out on trying to fix it myself. I honestly expected to be able to drive this car more but it is a project, after all.

As usual, and and all suggestions or help is appreciated greatly.

:wacko:

Edited by CaptainSlow, 15 June 2018 - 09:41 PM.

@TheRealCaptainSlow

#65 croquest87

croquest87

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts
  • Interests:all things mechanical

Posted 15 June 2018 - 10:34 PM

If you have a fuel gage on your car? Watch it as you rev to the max let me know if that pressure drops?

Edited by croquest87, 15 June 2018 - 10:39 PM.

#66 CaptainSlow

CaptainSlow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 10:39 PM

View Postcroquest87, on 15 June 2018 - 10:34 PM, said:

If you have a fuel gage on your car? Watch it as you rev your car from idle to max see if your fuel pressure is dropping. Fuel filter in that picture is telling me you have rust in that tank! Maybe it's clogged again and also has contaminated everything else.

I do, but it's in the engine bay and hard to test that with any actual load on the motor. As far as the tank, I've already thoroughly cleaned it, the filter was just the same one from before.
@TheRealCaptainSlow

#67 croquest87

croquest87

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts
  • Interests:all things mechanical

Posted 15 June 2018 - 10:41 PM

Pmd you

#68 Preludedude

Preludedude

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,687 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 06:46 AM

May be the vacuum advance on the dizzy.  If it doesn't work, it won't adjust timing correctly under boost and it will buck and kick when trying to boost

See if it will hold vacuum.  Suck on the vacuum hose and see if it will stick to your tongue. If it doesn't, you need a new one.   Part # VC-269

#69 CaptainSlow

CaptainSlow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 11:13 AM

View PostPreludedude, on 16 June 2018 - 06:46 AM, said:

May be the vacuum advance on the dizzy.  If it doesn't work, it won't adjust timing correctly under boost and it will buck and kick when trying to boost

See if it will hold vacuum.  Suck on the vacuum hose and see if it will stick to your tongue. If it doesn't, you need a new one.   Part # VC-269

You know what, I tried that on the hose going to the regulator and there wasn't any resistance. Its felt like it was pushing air at idle and I could easily suck back on it. Think that could be it?
@TheRealCaptainSlow

#70 Preludedude

Preludedude

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,687 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 06:03 PM

If you were sucking on the hose that goes to the vacuum advance and there wasn't resistance, then the advance is bad and needs to be replaced

It should hold suction and not bleed away which is why it should stick to your tongue and stay there.

Edited by Preludedude, 16 June 2018 - 06:03 PM.

#71 CaptainSlow

CaptainSlow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 06:43 PM

View PostPreludedude, on 16 June 2018 - 06:03 PM, said:

If you were sucking on the hose that goes to the vacuum advance and there wasn't resistance, then the advance is bad and needs to be replaced

It should hold suction and not bleed away which is why it should stick to your tongue and stay there.

I take it back. I sucked on the line from the vac advance itself and it held vacuum. The line at the fpr pulls vac with throttle. Seems like that's ok to me
@TheRealCaptainSlow

#72 Xtreme Industries

Xtreme Industries

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  • Interests:cars

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:38 PM

do you have the stock exhaust on it? I have read in the past that a plugged cat can cause issues with reving past 3000.
2010 Camaro RS - long tube headers, intake isolator, injen intake, ported throtle body, eibach lowering springs, eibach sway bars, pypes cat back exhaust, rx catch can, transformers decals.
1987 Conquest TSI, 5 spd, B71- 3" *DM Exhaust, Hooker ACM, Hood Struts, Taylor wires, silicone vac lines, fidanza, ACT Extreme, MK1 hard pipes, mbc (13psi), MK1 Shifter, MK1 steering wheel, silicone rad hoses, shp wheels - RIP
1991 BMW 318i - RIP

#73 CaptainSlow

CaptainSlow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 08:56 PM

It's been a minute.

And no changes lol.

Just dropped it off with a trusted friend that just happens to have a shop within walking distance of my house for an actual diagnosis. I hate to give in and take it somewhere but at this point I need another set of eyes on it. Should have it back in a week or so.

Posted Image

View PostXtreme Industries, on 11 July 2018 - 12:38 PM, said:

do you have the stock exhaust on it? I have read in the past that a plugged cat can cause issues with reving past 3000.

Car is catless at the moment.
@TheRealCaptainSlow

#74 CaptainSlow

CaptainSlow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 09:18 PM

Posted Image

Back in the garage for now.

I posted the car up for sale last week mainly just to gauge interest but shortly after, the guy that's been working on it called me and said he thinks the distributor is bad, but doesn't know for sure. That gave me enough hope to at least try to fix it again before I totally give up on it.

New distributor is in hand and I managed to stuff the car back in the garage. We have an abnormal amount of junk laying around nowadays, especially since I just recently inherited the 4-wheeler in the above pic, so space is at a premium.

The A/C is almost non-existent now but I was expecting that. New oil leak on the front of the motor but haven't bothered to investigate. But good news is that as of right now, the car idles and runs perfectly below 3k rpm, and the random misfire after warmed up seems to be gone. Acceleration is super hesitant but it's driveable. Also seems like all of my previous repairs are still holding up perfectly, so I guess I did those right.

I'll try to make time this week to install the distributor but I have little hope that it'll help. I've got a few ideas myself of what I can mess with but I'm sure as you can tell motivation to work on this thing is at an all-time low.

:o
@TheRealCaptainSlow

#75 Fuze

Fuze

AKA @Battlemagnet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts
  • Interests:Chess Boxing
  • Model:Starion

Posted 07 September 2018 - 12:36 PM

View PostCaptainSlow, on 03 May 2018 - 08:42 PM, said:

New filter in
Posted Image

<_<

This is a little bit dangerous.... The clamps shouldn't make contact with the other lines, they'll rub on them and can cause a failure. Clamps are OK on the low pressure return line but really, -AN fittings are what should be on the pressure line.

For zero fuel pressure, I'd say either the pump is dead, meaning no fuel coming from it, or the reg is shot. Stock fuel regs are a dime a dozen, LMK if you need one I'll get you one cheap.

Insta = @battlemagnet

Posted Image

#76 CaptainSlow

CaptainSlow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 10:38 AM

View PostFuze, on 07 September 2018 - 12:36 PM, said:

This is a little bit dangerous.... The clamps shouldn't make contact with the other lines, they'll rub on them and can cause a failure. Clamps are OK on the low pressure return line but really, -AN fittings are what should be on the pressure line.

For zero fuel pressure, I'd say either the pump is dead, meaning no fuel coming from it, or the reg is shot. Stock fuel regs are a dime a dozen, LMK if you need one I'll get you one cheap.

Don't think any of them are actually rubbing despite it looking like that in the pic. The hose nightmare is yet another doing of the clueless PO's, and will eventually get sorted.
Fuel pressure is no longer an issue right now, turns out my regulator was just way out of adjustment. Currently thinking the ecu is bad and will swap it out soon.
@TheRealCaptainSlow

#77 CaptainSlow

CaptainSlow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 09:36 PM

I'm working on this car less and less but been making at least some progress. A couple updates since I last posted.

A game of throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks. Spending a lot of money on parts but the way I see it was that it could have used a new one either way. lol

I installed the new distributor a while back. Aside from being a pain to get in and out, it went smoothly. After a good amount of tweaking I got it adjusted well enough to drive around and, to no surprise anymore, it fixed nothing. Finally was able to borrow someone's timing light to fine tune it this weekend and was actually surprised I managed to nearly nail the timing by guessing. It was around 8 BTDC and ideally these's cars like 10 from what I've seen. On to the next fix.

Next I tried the ECU. I figured this could be a problem because it seems like the ECU could be cutting power to prevent overboosting, and things would change when the car loses battery power and the ECU has to re-learn. The car already had an '89 ecu in it and I decided to put in a stock '87 one in just to eliminate as many variables as I can. Guess what. No change. Next.

Fast forward a few weeks to now. Hadn't touched the Quest because I was focusing on the daily. Had to finally sell my Golf R (I still cry sometimes) and get into another Golf, albeit much cheaper. No car payment anymore so that should free up money to put towards the Conquest or whatever needs it. Won't be seeing those effects for a bit but once I can recover from straight up buying another car it'll be nice.

Anyway, the friend that let me borrow his timing light also lent me his compression tester. Finally got around to doing that yesterday and was pleasantly surprised. All of the numbers I got were actually really good, if a little high. Ranged from 142 psi to 165. That being said the tester I used had survived Harvey, and I think was reading about 20 or so psi high. Either way, I was surprised to see those numbers. I was putting that off for so long because, to be honest, I really didn't want to know. I thought it would have been bad. But despite the (pretty bad) blowby from the oil cap and occasional oil out of the exhaust it managed some half decent numbers.
Here's the exact numbers I recorded (2 test for each cyl) -
cyl 1 - 142 & 152
cyl 2 - 160 & 160
cyl 3 - 155 & 160
cyl 4 - 165 & 165

Keep in mind these figures are probably about ~20 psi high.

I told myself I'd sell the car as is if it had bad compression. I guess I need to keep working on it then. Who knows, I might sell it anyway.
Next I might try adding a cat to the exhaust. Part of me thinks that the turbo has no backpressure and the ECU is freaking out and cutting power. The entire exhaust is a mess on this thing anyway. However, this requires money. Not much of that floating around these days.

I'll continue this pattern and report back in like a year or so. :huh:
@TheRealCaptainSlow

#78 Turbo Cary

Turbo Cary

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 09:05 AM

Have you tested fuel pressure? When my pump and filter failed it felt like the car was dropping off and wouldn't boost. Dont throw parts at cars, do actual testing to determine failure

Your compression on one cylinder seems to be 10-15 psi less than the others. Get a good gauge and recheck. Then if one is low add some oil into it and see if it goes up. Then get a good leak down tester and perform a leak down test.

Check your vacuum advance in the distributor as well. If the distributor you installed is used and old check the pick up coil harness for failure in terms of chaffing or bad connection, fix the spade connectors inside it and clean/regrease the distributor.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users