???? for swaped guys

j-hanson

i posted this in the BS section not seeing that we now have a swap secton!! oops

ive been getting a slow start on my swap (a 3.8 supercharged v6 from a super coupe) and i have some ???s for those who have done a swap. did you encounter any clearance issues with the steering box, and the main arm?

my engine is a rear sump, and i am moving back my firewall a few inches for some extra clearance. my motor is very far back in the engine bay--like the block almost hits the stock firewall and the way it looks my headers gonna need to do some magic to even clear the steering box and my oilpan touches the steering bar..... any insight on what your problems were/are, and how you solved your problems would be great to get some ideas from.

josh

Can't help you on the SQ end, but years ago I put a 327 in an '80 checvy monza. I had to fab my own oil pan from a set of instructions. Just had to cut out the clearance problem section and rework it. Wasn't pretty, but worked just fine. You may also have to just buy header flanges and have headers custom made. Have you looked into any high-flow manifolds?

sounds like you need to take some more measurements to get that engine to fit forward some.not sure the rear sump will work,be easier to go to front sump.

ever seen this:

http://www.kabamus.com/garage/motorswap/invent.html

might help you in figuring some things out.

this may help also.

http://www.mmatkosky.homestead.com/

got my firewall cut over the weekend and the oil pan now clears the steering arm... looking at everyones pics of the v8 swaps it looks like the engines sit very high and forward in the engine bay....isnt this a bad thing?? the top of my supercharger now sits right where the seam line is in the firewall just beneeth the washer lines.

the rear of the engine sits 3.5 inches behind the stock firewall. the clearance at this point is VERY tight for the drivers side ehaust space.

does anyone have experience with moving the motor back that far?? my thinking is more that moving back and down is better than up and forward??

im not after a drag car, more road car..

i could modify the oil pan and set up for a dry sump, but im still not sure if it would be of any benifit...

ill take some pics tmrw..

'josh