• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 TxStig

TxStig

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 12:45 PM

This may be an already deemed to be too difficult endeavor but has anybody ever tried or know someone who has tried to use the Macpherson Strut setup from the EVO's in the front of the Starion. I like most am struggling to accept that the D2 Coilover solution is pretty much the only way for anybody wanting to upgrade to a "track" suspension. Most of the reviews I have read say that they are still probably a little too soft for the track.

Surely it would not be too much work to make brackets to make use of an EVO upright. Hubs are pretty common it doesn't have to have to have a drive spline internally. Then at least struts that bolt on instead of being welded would be able to be used?

I just think this would open up TONS of suspension and brake options...but as i said maybe it's already been looked at and maybe I am way off base?

https://wisefabusa.c...ront-track-kit/

http://www.jdmaster....ab-front-track/

I realize these kits are also tremendous money - but just trying to find a solution I will be happy with.

#2 Preludedude

Preludedude

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,596 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 02 July 2018 - 12:48 PM

View PostTxStig, on 02 July 2018 - 12:45 PM, said:

This may be an already deemed to be too difficult endeavor but has anybody ever tried or know someone who has tried to use the Macpherson Strut setup from the EVO's in the front of the Starion. I like most am struggling to accept that the D2 Coilover solution is pretty much the only way for anybody wanting to upgrade to a "track" suspension. Most of the reviews I have read say that they are still probably a little too soft for the track.

Surely it would not be too much work to make brackets to make use of an EVO upright. Hubs are pretty common it doesn't have to have to have a drive spline internally. Then at least struts that bolt on instead of being welded would be able to be used?

I just think this would open up TONS of suspension and brake options...but as i said maybe it's already been looked at and maybe I am way off base?

https://wisefabusa.c...ront-track-kit/

http://www.jdmaster....ab-front-track/

I realize these kits are also tremendous money - but just trying to find a solution I will be happy with.

I've never seen anyone here on SQC review the D2s as "soft"

#3 tsi_tom

tsi_tom

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,225 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 01:18 PM

Mine are bouncy
Engine
20 over forged pistons
Stock injection system

My restoration project: The Missouri Project

#4 TxStig

TxStig

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 03:24 PM

Just going by what i saw in a couple of reviews when reading about them.

Again I just like to have more choices. the possibility of remote reserviors would be awesome. It would open up a bunch of choices for brakes too. You could put EVO Brembos or aftermarkets....just don't see why nobody has tried it? They are both Macpherson strut. I think I may be able to make something that works with EVO uprights and bolts into our standard cross member.

I think it's the direction I am going to try and go. Just wanted to see if anybody had already done it

#5 aconro

aconro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 03:52 PM

For the front suspension, I know a few people that have converted to s13 parts: coilovers, uprights, and brakes.  They just require extending/ modifying the LCA.

I am also very interested in more information on an alternative setup.  Mainly for gaining better parts availability and aftermarket support.

My D2's also feel bouncy but I feel some of that might have had something to due with them being on set to the hardest stiffness and me not checking them for ~10,000 miles.  I have heard that you can wear out coilovers quickly if you leave them on the hardest damping setting for too long.  However, I am not sure of the validity of that claim.
1988 Chrysler Conquest TSI Auto (Sold)
1987 Chrysler Conquest TSI 1JZ Swap
1997 Honda CBR F3 600 (Sold)
2004 Volkswagen Golf GTI VR6 (Sold)
2008 Dodge Caliber SRT-4

#6 TexasQuest

TexasQuest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,642 posts
  • Interests:TSi's & VR4's

Posted 02 July 2018 - 03:59 PM

I'm sure you can get stiffer spring rates for the D2's & KSport coil overs if you feel the need. That's the purpose of full body coil overs.
88 Fiji Blue -Tsi
Zoom clutch, Fidanza flywheel, Stedebani shifter, KSport coilovers, ST swaybars, abs delete, a/c delete, cruise delete, JVE, BSEK, TEP steel brake lines, LSP braided cooler lines, CX Racing radiator,  MK1 silicone hoses, MK1 pullies, *DM hard pipes & intercooler,14G turbo, ported exh. manifold, MAF Translator, 3.5" GM maf, Turbo XS RFL bov, *DM 3" exhaust, Cusco front strut bar, TEP rear strut bar, Enkei 92's, HKS turbo timer, AEM wideband, AEM boost gauge, AEM oil pressure gauge, Hallman boost controller
Posted Image

View PostJohnnyWadd, on 04 March 2010 - 10:01 PM, said:

my shaft was big i dont know what your talking about.

#7 BC_99

BC_99

Plays in traffic

• Vendors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,169 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 06:10 PM

Convette is on D2s. That is more racing than anyone else recently has or will be doing with a starion. My D2s are stiffer than I care for. I have softened the dampeners about 70% of the way and they are still way stiff enough for a street car.

BC
Steering coupler replacement U-Joints are available here...
http://www.starquest...howtopic=145280

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#8 importwarrior

importwarrior

6 Quests and Counting......

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,026 posts
  • Interests:Boost = 2KWIK4U
    Starquests

Posted 02 July 2018 - 07:30 PM

View Posttsi_tom, on 02 July 2018 - 01:18 PM, said:

Mine are bouncy

Mine are bouncy also. I need to check preload again on the spring.
I think my spring preload is not set properly possibly causing the bounce I feel.
I am set 15 clicks from soft.

Once you get the D2 lower threaded part welded up you can always get the D2ís
Rebuilt to your specs.
Different spring rates.
Thicker or thinner oil for the strut -shock.
Sky is the limit just contact nick and or D2 support. Tell them what you want.

B-71 87 TSI ~ RIP

Black 87 Starion ~ Mess SOLD!!!

Proud New 89 slightly Rusted Fiji Owner !!!

#9 Turbo Cary

Turbo Cary

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 08:59 PM

Is anyone properly corner balancing their suspension system? I feel most people just get their ride height close without actually dialing in the system. I'm sure if y'all went and obtained some scales to do the process, you'd be amazed at how much better the car will ride/handle.

#10 tsi_tom

tsi_tom

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,225 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 09:24 PM

View PostTurbo Cary, on 02 July 2018 - 08:59 PM, said:

Is anyone properly corner balancing their suspension system? I feel most people just get their ride height close without actually dialing in the system. I'm sure if y'all went and obtained some scales to do the process, you'd be amazed at how much better the car will ride/handle.

You are right and this is on my list. Mine bounces me out of the seat when going over a bump.   I did preload as suggested here so that may be my problem.
Engine
20 over forged pistons
Stock injection system

#11 importwarrior

importwarrior

6 Quests and Counting......

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,026 posts
  • Interests:Boost = 2KWIK4U
    Starquests

Posted 03 July 2018 - 07:46 AM

I took it to a place called P-Tuning.
They supposedly did but when measuring all 4 corners the front is with in a 1/4 inch of each other.
the rear is a 1/2 inch difference from side to side. Ride height.

but car handles great and drives straighter than any other car I ever had.

B-71 87 TSI ~ RIP

Black 87 Starion ~ Mess SOLD!!!

Proud New 89 slightly Rusted Fiji Owner !!!

#12 TxStig

TxStig

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 08:55 AM

This is to account for when you sit in the car - unless you measured those heights with weight in the front seat?

If you are only "setting the height" with coil overs you are not putting any pre-load into springs in order to induce pre-load you would have to actually use the collar to compress the spring while the car is unloaded. Otherwise the pre-load is the same.

I am going to go ahead and see about making the front suspension from an EVO work (again it is Macpherson Strut) plus it will keep it Mitsubishi - the idea of cutting up a front suspension and welding it up just seems janky.

This car will be pretty much track use only - possibly Time Attack.

As a side note (and not to brag too much) but I did I spend a couple of seasons working for RisiCompetizione in the American LeMans Series on the Ferrari F430 GT Car. Also have ten years of racing shifter karts under my belt so supreme adjust ability it what I am after.

I will be sure to document the results.

#13 Fuze

Fuze

AKA @Battlemagnet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,738 posts
  • Interests:Chess Boxing
  • Model:Starion

Posted 06 July 2018 - 04:13 PM

As for the front suspension swaps, I agree S13/S14 Nissan LCA/knuckle/brake/strut swaps are the absolute best option if your feel like you need more variety of compatible parts. You can probably do the whole swap and just change the strut tops, and the Nissan LCA's push the wheels out about another inch or so, no more 25mm wheel spacer! No car has more suspension options than a damn S13 Nissan Silvia/240, and the parts are similar in design to the Starion parts. The Evo is AWD, the knuckle is for AWD, the arms are different, doesn't make sense to adapt that when better options exist.

And my D2's don't bounce! But keep in mind, it's not always about off the shelf with these cars and plenty of parts from other cars can be adapted over. You can also swap springs and change rates on the D2's, or have them re-valved stiffer. IIRC John Lazorack's are a custom built/valved set.

Edited by Fuze, 06 July 2018 - 04:15 PM.

Insta = @battlemagnet

Posted Image

#14 Funky Phil

Funky Phil

Super Pooper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,378 posts
  • Interests:2 streaks of fire for 60ft when I leave.

Posted 20 July 2018 - 08:51 AM

View Posttsi_tom, on 02 July 2018 - 01:18 PM, said:

Mine are bouncy

Spring preload
10.95@122mph MoFuggin stickshift! https://m.youtube.co...h?v=8Q01UKt5q4U

Posted Image

#15 starquestJOE

starquestJOE

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,503 posts
  • Interests:buy one buy EM ALL!!!!!

Posted 22 July 2018 - 06:13 AM

Mine are not bouncy at all. In fact they is no give to them at were i have them set too. Smooth but firm

IM STARQUEST 4 LIFE ....
88 tsi-80k one owner bone stock R88 unicorn
87 tsi - red - sometimes mine sometimes ryans
89 tsi-46k-red but not for long!!!
88 esi-r-white-SOLD
88 tsi white 61k-SOLD
89 tsi-black-rip
87 tsi-black/red-SOLD
88 tsi yellow sold
89 tsi white parts car
88 esi-r-black-RIP
87 tsi-somewhere in MD....need to pick it up
                    88and 89parts car...need parts???
          lookin for  RHD starion and part to convert to RHD
Posted Image

#16 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,855 posts
  • Interests:bmx, cars, computers

Posted 22 July 2018 - 10:47 AM

View PoststarquestJOE, on 22 July 2018 - 06:13 AM, said:

Mine are not bouncy at all. In fact they is no give to them at were i have them set too. Smooth but firm

Mine are the same. I am very happy with them.

1987 Flatty Starion -- Widebody Conversion -- V-Mount Setup --  JDL Tubular Manifold  --  MX-6 Intake -- MS3-Pro -- AEM FPR  --  ARP head studs -- 3" hood exit exhaust -- Hahn Racecraft 16g --  Tial F38 Wastegate -- Tial Q Bov -- Short route piping -- 5 lug & LSD conversion -- Tubular Front End -- Manual Steering Rack Conversion -- Manual Brake Conversion -- Stack Digital Dash -- AEM UEGO -- D2 coilovers -- full GNT poly bushings & mounts -- four 8" rears -- car lightened significantly...  More to come!

Posted Image

Build Thread --->  http://www.starquest...opic=143564&hl=

#17 tsi_tom

tsi_tom

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,225 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 12:23 PM

I think I asked you guys this before what preload did you apply?
Engine
20 over forged pistons
Stock injection system

#18 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,855 posts
  • Interests:bmx, cars, computers

Posted 22 July 2018 - 03:03 PM

I did what they suggest in the instructions, zero preload.

1987 Flatty Starion -- Widebody Conversion -- V-Mount Setup --  JDL Tubular Manifold  --  MX-6 Intake -- MS3-Pro -- AEM FPR  --  ARP head studs -- 3" hood exit exhaust -- Hahn Racecraft 16g --  Tial F38 Wastegate -- Tial Q Bov -- Short route piping -- 5 lug & LSD conversion -- Tubular Front End -- Manual Steering Rack Conversion -- Manual Brake Conversion -- Stack Digital Dash -- AEM UEGO -- D2 coilovers -- full GNT poly bushings & mounts -- four 8" rears -- car lightened significantly...  More to come!

Posted Image

Build Thread --->  http://www.starquest...opic=143564&hl=

#19 starquestJOE

starquestJOE

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,503 posts
  • Interests:buy one buy EM ALL!!!!!

Posted 22 July 2018 - 07:32 PM

My preload is turn the collar til it touches the spring. Then one full turn. Lock it in place

IM STARQUEST 4 LIFE ....
88 tsi-80k one owner bone stock R88 unicorn
87 tsi - red - sometimes mine sometimes ryans
89 tsi-46k-red but not for long!!!
88 esi-r-white-SOLD
88 tsi white 61k-SOLD
89 tsi-black-rip
87 tsi-black/red-SOLD
88 tsi yellow sold
89 tsi white parts car
88 esi-r-black-RIP
87 tsi-somewhere in MD....need to pick it up
                    88and 89parts car...need parts???
          lookin for  RHD starion and part to convert to RHD
Posted Image

#20 Convette

Convette

I used to driftjunk

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,989 posts
  • Interests:Going faster

Posted 23 July 2018 - 06:31 PM

Not worth the time or money to try and use evo stuff...dont know why everyone wants to all the time.

D2s are nothing short of amazing. I've run them for the past 6 years, thousands of miles on the street and close to that on the track.  And no, I'm not saying this because of sponsorship,  they are not one of my sponsors.  

I've replaced all of them once, and prolly need to do so again soon.  The inserts are $100 a piece.   I have the "race versions"  very much like the street ones, just stiffer springs and slightly different valving.  I've beat cars with $10k suspension systems... doesn't mean that they are superior.  

That said, if your car is bouncy you have them setup wrong.  Watch Matt Farah's "One Take" review on my car, take note to ride quality.  

Spend time making your car not suck before re inventing far more issues than it already has.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users