Redline gear oil.

SQF

Ilber sent this info to me.  The reply is direct from Redline and the answer is specific to our manual tranny cars.  

Hello.

I am   seeking  advice  on what  Redline  Manual Transmission  Oil,  which one  is  the best fit  for me?

I  have an 88  Chrysler  conquest  with  freshly rebuilt  5 speed transmission and  ³race  prepared²  engine.  My service manual  suggests a  80w-90w  gear oil.  What is the equivalent to  it, MT90  or  redline  MTL?

Ilya B.

In your Conquest transmission I would recommend a blend of Red Line MTL and MT-90. My guide calls for either an 80W or a 75W85 GL-4. The MTL is a 70W80, the MT-90 is a 75W90.

Thank you for your interest in Red Line Oil.

So there you have it, mix 1/2 and 1/2 for the correct weight.

Yeah, just about anything Red-Line makes is top quality stuff.  They told me who my local distributor is, and I went over there.  This guy is very eccentric, and won't open his shop door unless he knows you!  He designed the Holley Dial-A-Jet, and makes the fastest Harley engines available, but dude won't answer his door!  Plus, his kid is a spoiled brat who is living to train for the Olympics in skiing, so this dude is always at Crested Butte with his kid.  He collects residuals from Holley. My machinist knows him.  

racerwholesale sells Red Line Products

Tim C.

• 2 months later...
I am running amsoil synthetic 80-90 which i switched to while in minnesota where i couldn't shift when starting in subzero weather, great product! I also use the redline products in other cars and it is great stuff. I can't remember if their gear oil is synthetic or not. I run completely synthetic products in my cars and bikes and have for 20 years Plus. when my oil pump failed in my conquest that is probably what saved the engine..

• 8 months later...

hmmm, I strongly recommend staying away from putting redline in the tranny. I used it and after driving it for 2 weeks, it messed up my syncros and the tranny was noisier overall.

if you follow up any DSM or 3000GT sites, or any other import site, you will find plenty of people pissed off people who used redline and ended up with a messed up tranny.

what is the best tranny oil to use? 'BG syncroshift II" synthetic tranny fluid (its a 75W90. do a search on the net and you will not find anyone having a bad experience with it. it costs about $10 a quart and is usually sold in a package of 3.

you can get it either here:

http://www.machv.com/bgsynchroshift.html

or

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/eclfluids.htm

DO NOT USE THIS IN THE REAREND. it does not contain any limited slip addetives and it will mess it up. For the rearend, the best thing is redline 75W90, or Amsoil

note, do not use the redline Shockproof products in the rearend. they are meant strickly for racing. They are supposed to be drained at the end of a race day because they do not have the chemicals necessary to handle the contamination created by daily driving over long periods (according to redline).

• 5 weeks later...
"BG syncroshift II"  Destroyed my DSMs tranny.  Back in 2000 i was test driving a new Z/28.  The sales guy smiled and asked if i street race.  I told him that this car *might* end up in a few street races.  He laughed and said that it would hold it's own...but if i were going to be driving it hard that i should drain the "sycrofart" outa her as soon as she was broken in.  Everyone i know has or does use Redline.  Not once have i heard anything bad about it.

tells you what kind of idiot he was to use synthetic oil for the breakin process. synthatics due to their low friction cause a glazing of parts and prevent a proper breakin. how exactly did you the trace your distroyed tranny to be caused by the oil.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

FYI:

Redline, Ii dont recommend for normal daily driving. Esters break down and have a short shelve life.(Racing only) ..I lost my Tranny in my 87 Buick Turbo T to it and $1700 to get that fixed....NEVER AGAIN...

PAO Polyalpha-Olifins like AMSOIL (100%) MOREstable and offer better performance..  All of my cars run AMSOIL ATF, 75w90 and 10w30 Synthetic oils...

The stuff really works expect a 2-4% increase in HP, 30-40' drop in head temps and smother acceleration.switching to AMSOIL..

Contact me via email for more info and purchasing AMSOIL

FYI

Redline is for race cars only, track use....off road because of the diester base which has a short use life and is unstable long term..

Lost my Buick Tranny to it and cost $1700 to fix...never again.

Go with AMSOIL, PAO Poyalpha Olifin  the the best oil you will ever use...

All of my cars are on the AMSOIL power trail    10w-30, 75w-90, ATF,

If your interested send me a thread:  JPguru@aol.com

FYI

Redline is for race cars only, track use....off road because of the diester base which has a short use life and is unstable long term..

Lost my Buick Tranny to it and cost $1700 to fix...never again.

Go with AMSOIL, PAO Poyalpha Olifin  the the best oil you will ever use...

All of my cars are on the AMSOIL power trail    10w-30, 75w-90, ATF,

If your interested send me a thread:  JPguru@aol.com

Last I checked Redline was PAO based...  As far as its life expectancy...  I have been using Redline for years and never had a problem.  Same with Mobil's gear lube.

I did use AmsOil's gear lube way back in the 80's ..  Put it in three trany's and all three developed noisey bearings within 5000 miles.

Kein C

Yes,

AMSOL was initially a Diester (Alcohol + Acid) based Synthetic oil, like Redline but in 1988 they revised their formulation and developed a stable PAO ;D. Which Redline and Motul did not :'(.

PS  Just did my 88 TSI  Differential with AMSOIL Gear oil and loving it...Tranny is next on my list

Check out Urbanracer.com Tech talk-Tech experts April 11, 02 post... or

http://urbanracer.com/articles/anmviewer.asp?a=233&z=11

I really get into the technical stuff.

Your welcome to contact me directly ..

Best regards...

• 1 month later...
Yeah, just about anything Red-Line makes is top quality stuff.  They told me who my local distributor is, and I went over there.  This guy is very eccentric, and won't open his shop door unless he knows you!  He designed the Holley Dial-A-Jet, and makes the fastest Harley engines available, but dude won't answer his door!  Plus, his kid is a spoiled brat who is living to train for the Olympics in skiing, so this dude is always at Crested Butte with his kid.  He collects residuals from Holley. My machinist knows him.  

racerwholesale sells Red Line Products

Tim C.

Tim is your distributors name Ralph Johnson?

• 4 weeks later...

today i dropped the chevron gear oil outta my 5 speed. put in amsoil 75w-90 synthecic gear oil,and wow what a diiference it made in the shift effort on my stadebani short shifter.

now back when i was a newby i got a reply to my s/shifter post about using ATF in it to reduce shift effort..anyone heard of this? sounds like a sure way to ruin something.

amsoil= ;D

price= $9.00 per quart :o