• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 JoeyLeet2

JoeyLeet2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 11:23 PM

Finally getting the 88 back in order. Will be upgrading the turbo this summer if she stays strong. But I'm a noob so here's my plan

https://www.ebay.com...4.c100891.m5206

Can i "bolt on upgrade" my turbo with that kit and probably a rebuild kit?

Rebuild my 12a with quality parts using the ebay compressor housing and wheel + the Starion exhaust housing and wheel.

They even sell ones with rebuild kits and/or wastegates.

No machining needed right?

All input welcome.

#2 ucw458

ucw458

This will mean the extinction of all life forms on this planet.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,611 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 18 May 2019 - 11:28 PM

That might work.  You may have some small issues getting the wastegate actuator to work.  Turbo inlet/outlet may be a different size than stock so stock tubing may not connect to it.  But those are standard issues when upgrading turbos.

The kit you posted though will likely not work.  That kit is for a TD04 hotside.  Stock SQ has a TD05 hotside.  Not 100% sure but the turbine shaft the compressor connects to may be thicker.
My 87
Posted Image

#3 JoeyLeet2

JoeyLeet2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 12:09 AM

I think you're right. Check this out.

https://www.ebay.com...GUAAOSwXY5ZORqM

Thoughts? Can't be that "easy"

#4 ucw458

ucw458

This will mean the extinction of all life forms on this planet.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,611 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 12:35 AM

You could upgrade just the compressor housing.  But...... you will get more benefit from upgrading the exhaust side too.

A TD05 is a small housing.  A TD05h 16g is a pretty good turbo for mild mods.  Some say a TD06 or TD06sl2 works good on TBI.  Never tried that so idk.  If going MPI then you're in a different ballpark turbo wise.

What would really help is knowing what you want out of the car.  What are your plans?  For example if you wanted to stay mostly stock I would say 2.5" exhaust with no cats is your best bolt on mod.
My 87
Posted Image

#5 JoeyLeet2

JoeyLeet2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 01:58 AM

The car has 3 inch downpipe and full 2.5 exhaust. Drilled/slotted rotors, 4 new calipers with ceramic pads, NJV head, bsek, TEP cam, ARP head studs. 12a on stock boost lol.

I'm doing it all myself and learning as I go. So I cannot really machine parts. I like to get creative but get it done right. It's a budget fun street car that I can take to the strip some time and not be embarassed.

#6 87redcat

87redcat

10 years and counting...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,940 posts
  • Interests:Aircraft Mechanic, having the wife tell you its about time you finished MY car...

Posted 19 May 2019 - 09:37 AM

Save your money and wait to buy a complete bolt on turbo that will fit your down pipe and ex mani. IE., a mitsu turbo. Theres plenty involved in switching it out without the hassle of trying to piece together a turbo.
Or send your 12A out to be upgraded
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

#7 JoeyLeet2

JoeyLeet2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 03:34 PM

Any suggestions on a place to send it? All the threads say turbolab is now unresponsive

#8 markhansenconquest

markhansenconquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,491 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 03:37 PM

upgrade your stock 12a to 16g  so  everything fits the same .........

#9 JoeyLeet2

JoeyLeet2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 03:44 PM

You offering to take on the job? Lol

#10 croquest87

croquest87

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts
  • Interests:all things mechanical

Posted 19 May 2019 - 04:37 PM

Tdo5h w 9 blade shaft. Purchase a 16 g wheel for the front. Have a local machinist bore out your hot and cold side housings for the larger wheels. Install a new $35 rebuild kit w seals bearings and all. Very important! Prime it w oil and have it balanced. You are looking at around $250 in parts +machining and balance. If you own a lathe or have a friend w one?  Shouldn't take more than 10 min for the hot side.Probably 30 min for the cold side. All you are doing is making clearance to accommodate the larger wheels.CNC  machine?  Simple program  half hr and should be ready for assembly.Enjoy a cold beverage while looking at the fruit of your labor.LOL

Edited by croquest87, 19 May 2019 - 04:45 PM.

#11 JoeyLeet2

JoeyLeet2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 06:19 PM

I like where you're going but the closest machine shop is about 60 minutes away and I can guarantee they don't regularly machine turbos. Will they know how to do it just by looking?

Also how would I balance it?

#12 croquest87

croquest87

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts
  • Interests:all things mechanical

Posted 19 May 2019 - 06:58 PM

Good machinist will know what's needed as he will take measurements and look up specs for clearances.You have to find a place that balances turbos and such.Or just send it in some place thats specialized in buding turbos but that's not cheap. I switched to t3/t4 set up due to availability of parts along w many options and cheap parts . Switch is straight forward and simple. Weld on a t3/t4 flange or get on adapter   route your coolant and oil feed and return lines and have down pipe made by muffler shop. I made a simple mount for the turbo cold side to put the actuator in like stock location  or just go w external waste gate set up.  Many options there just have to choose what direction you wanna go.

Edited by croquest87, 19 May 2019 - 07:22 PM.

#13 jinx

jinx

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  • Interests:I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Posted 19 May 2019 - 07:38 PM

12A on stock boost is not even in the starting block yet. Upgrade for what ?

better know what you're doing when mix n match mitsu turbo bits.
Back plate, bearing housing, thrust washers all different and need to match. I'd leave 'upgrading' to a "pro"
http://www.starquest...howtopic=156876
I wouldn't dismantle a perfect 12A. Sell it, buy a junk 12 from classifieds and send it directly to turbo shop

doubt u can get any cheaper than bolt-on mitsu turbos..... especially not 'adapting' to t3/t4. External is an even bigger waste imo

#14 JoeyLeet2

JoeyLeet2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 07:49 PM

What do you mean by a 12a is not in the starting block?

#15 JoeyLeet2

JoeyLeet2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 07:59 PM

And can you recommend any turbo shops I can send mine too?

#16 JoeyLeet2

JoeyLeet2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 08:02 PM

I saw a couple in your link, the DSM guys and the shop Shelby recommended

#17 jinx

jinx

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  • Interests:I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Posted 20 May 2019 - 03:15 AM

What do you mean by a 12a is not in the starting block?
a 12 at stock boost, says u must've been happy with it ? Most crank 'em up, *then* decide to upgrade
A couple 'aggressive' 12A folks got their street starquests hi 13s 1/4s

As suggested, figure out your end game first and it will be your only turbo upgrade
Gotta plan your fueling to tune it also. A bunch of G54 combinations to copy. No need to guess

#18 JoeyLeet2

JoeyLeet2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 03:55 PM

You sound like you know what you're doing. You don't know if if I can rebuild my 12a with a 16g rebuild kit, 16g wheel, and 16g compressor housing?

#19 markhansenconquest

markhansenconquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,491 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 05:24 PM

Find a turbo shop and get it done..........U can rebuield a 12a with a turbo rebulld kit at home ,,but it will never take 14 plus pounds of boost with out blowing apart.....At 20,000 to 30,000 rpm any out of balance wants to make the bearings wear out bell mouthed(no good)..It will work for a while ,,but wont last..........When the balance is Right the shaft  and the bronze bearings spin together with out touching............look on e bay for a 12 a rebuild kit and get the phone # and call them and see what they say about getting it done........

Edited by markhansenconquest, 20 May 2019 - 05:26 PM.

#20 TexasQuest

TexasQuest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,978 posts
  • Interests:TSi's & VR4's

Posted 20 May 2019 - 09:49 PM

View PostJoeyLeet2, on 20 May 2019 - 03:55 PM, said:

You sound like you know what you're doing. You don't know if if I can rebuild my 12a with a 16g rebuild kit, 16g wheel, and 16g compressor housing?
Yes you can. The housing will have to be machined for a 16g
88 Fiji Blue -TSi
Zoom clutch, Fidanza flywheel, Stedebani shifter, KSport coilovers, ST swaybars, abs delete, a/c delete, cruise delete, JVE, BSEK, TEP steel brake lines, LSP braided cooler lines, CX Racing radiator,  MK1 silicone hoses, MK1 pullies, *DM hard pipes & intercooler,14G turbo, ported exh. manifold, MAF Translator, 3.5" GM maf, Turbo XS RFL bov, *DM 3" exhaust, Cusco front strut bar, TEP rear strut bar, Enkei 92's, HKS turbo timer, AEM wideband, AEM boost gauge, AEM oil pressure gauge, SPA fuel regulator, Hallman boost controller
Posted Image

View PostJohnnyWadd, on 04 March 2010 - 10:01 PM, said:

my shaft was big i dont know what your talking about.

<SOS> http://sosmanuals.minagera.org/
<SQ Garage> http://www.starquestgarage.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users