Possible rb25det swap

starion1991

Hello guys, been tossing around the idea of throwing a rb25det in a starion. I bought a 240sx with the swap already installed in it a little over a year ago, the swap has a blown automatic tranny but seems to run great. I got to test drive it before I damaged the transmission by towing it on a dolly without disconnecting the driveshaft (yea I know, stupid move) I got the car super cheap, only paid 1500 for it and was planning to use the swap with a manual tranny in a starion. I really want a 2j swap instead because it's a much better platform and the exhaust is on the correct side for a starion, but I think I can make it work. I do have a few questions for all you guys that have motor swaps though.

I am mainly concerned about issues I may run into with the steering box being on the drivers side with the motors exhaust/down pipe being on the same side. Im planning on running a aftermarket turbo and manafold if I have the funds to do so after the swap is all said and done. So I may be able to get some of my minor clearance issues resolved that way. I also would like to do a 240sx or r33 steering rack or possibly front subframe if I can make it all work together with minimal issues.

I'm just wondering what issues you swapped guys have run into with the stock steering setup, and what are the issues with converting to a steering rack setup. Dose anyone have pictures after a rack convertionhas been installed with a swap?

One last thing, I did a little search and found a guy that swapped a rb in a starion, anyone have more pics/info on that cars setup?

the nature of ur questions suggest skilz r lacking.

front rack.... with the front sump RB? Why complicate things?

Cool 2 b different, but I'd suggest the "beaten bath" in this case. 4g63/4, jz etc.

Couldn't u replace the auto tranny and bump it up, so it has a chance at surviving ?

inline 6s fit a 240 better than a starion (longer inhood), it s a lighter and better all around platform, drag racing, etc..

Edited by jinx

The rack setup would be rear mounted on the front subframe, so I would have no problems with oil pan clearance. I defenently want a 2jz, and I've got the rb240 up for sale locally but all the interest is from kids dreaming to own a 240. So the reality may be me getting stuck with it. So I my just work with what I've got

i towed by 240sx with ca18det and auto tranny and it works fine. No hwy or 60+mph, so maybe thats the difference?

My ca18 auto tranny 'looks' just like the ka24, rb and 300zx.... so u may just need to swap the bell

A friend never got his s13 rb25det auto tranny to ever shift solid like oem, so he shifted manually n never punished it

Towed it 200 or so miles doing 80, all highway, yea your correct, rb20 tranny's are essentially the same as sr, ka, ca, with minor differences. Just swap to the bell housing for your application. They are good to about 400 horsepower, I'd prefer a rb25 tranny but the price is kinda high due to the demand that they have from the rb26 guys that want a rwd trans.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd approach it by trying to narrow the chassis mounts on the 180sx crossmember, and fit the entire crossmember into the Starion.

That way you get your motor mounts and steering rack mounts in place. I'd use the S13 lower suspension arms, uprights and hubs too. You get access to the lego-interchangeability of nissan brake packages then too. S13 suspension all the way up to the top hats, which will need to be Starion to interface with the chassis.

• Like 1