3800 V6 L67 Turbo

pagemo

Well I stumbled on my next motor while getting parts to fix my sons car. I bought a 99 Buick regal GS with the 3800 SC motor (l67) with 90K miles(very clean!) I have been doing some research and it appears I can use a R154,AX15, W58 or T5 behind this motor depending on the bell housing I select. I will use the Flywheel and clutch from a 97-03 F-body camaro, If I stay Supercharged I will have to cut off the back of the SC and weld on a elbow and remount the throttle body so that it clears the firewall. A single or even Twin turbos would be easier to make power so I am leaning toward ditching the SC and making a sheet metal intake. These V6’s are very strong and stock bottom ends have held well over 400Hp. I plan to add ARP fasteners and the 2005 up model rods($250 a set) which should make it safe to 500 or so.

This is going in the gullwing Project and I think I can do the swap fairly inexpensive and even keeping the stock GM computer and MAS to start. I will post details and pictures as I go.

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg1/pagemo/2011-02-16_21-04-41_744.jpg

I should have it out of the doner car this weekend...But i have to swap transmissions in my sons car before i can start fitting it in the conquest.

Edited by pagemo

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how similar is this motor to the original gnx motor? is it even the sdame or just a later model/version of the same motor. i may be thinking wrong here but it seems to me like this motor has the plastic intake, if so go ahead and give it a new set of intake gaskets. i think this was in the early years of dex cool when it was eating up the intake gaskets. not hard to do and not much money either. whole lots easier to do with the motor out of the car.

otherwise, i think its a pretty cool swap. glad to see your getting back to the gullwing car.

how similar is this motor to the original gnx motor? is it even the sdame or just a later model/version of the same motor. i may be thinking wrong here but it seems to me like this motor has the plastic intake, if so go ahead and give it a new set of intake gaskets. i think this was in the early years of dex cool when it was eating up the intake gaskets. not hard to do and not much money either. whole lots easier to do with the motor out of the car.

otherwise, i think its a pretty cool swap. glad to see your getting back to the gullwing car.

Its actually not the same as the GN motor at all, the good news is that its the next generation and actually been improved in several areas.

From Wiki:

L67 Supercharged

A 3800 Series II L67 Supercharged engine in a 1998 Buick Regal GS.The L67 is the supercharged version of the Series II L36 and appeared in 1996, one year after the normally-aspirated version. It uses the Eaton Generation III M90 supercharger with a 3.8" pulley, a different throttle body, fuel injectors, cylinder heads, and lower intake manifold than the L36 uses. Both engines share the same engine blocks, but compression is reduced from 9.4:1 in the L36 to 8.5:1 for the L67. Power is up to 240 hp (180 kW) and 280 lb·ft (380 N·m) of torque. Final drive ratios are reduced in most applications, for better fuel economy and more use of the engine's torque in the low range. The engine was built in Flint, Michigan. The engine was certified LEV in 2001.

This engine is or was used in the following cars:

1996–2005 Buick Park Avenue Ultra

1997.5–2004 Buick Regal GS / GSX (SLP)

1996–1999 Buick Riviera (optional 1996-97, std. 1998-99)

2004–2005 Chevrolet Impala SS

2004–2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS Supercharged/Intimidator SS

1996–1999 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight LSS (limited)

1996–2003 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi

1997–2003 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

The NA version uses the plastic mainfold, This one has a aluminum lower plenum that the SC mounts to, Also the heads are slightly different and the injector boss is in the head. So to make a Turbo Version A sheet metal intake is all thats required.

But since you mention it i may swap the intake gasket on my sons while the motor is out!

I have been doing some research and it appears I can use a R154,AX15, W58 or T5 behind this motor depending on the bell housing I select. I will use the Flywheel and clutch from a 97-03 F-body camaro,

is this the bellhousing from the aussies ?

why not use the f-body 5speed also ?

we have a corolla clubmember in orlando with a supercharged 3800/5 spd, powered 1974 corolla.

got some pictures on my cpu of a 3800 powered starquest, from austarion

yeah, 3800 is better than the older gn 3.8.

I would still like to build a "hot rod" using the 3800. I'm not counting my buick v6 days over just yet.... as I got my eye on a clean 2 door chevy chevette sittin in a friends garage.

I told him "you know you really not ever gonna do anything with that chevette - stop kiddin yourself. Call me whenever you're ready".

I'll build a nice turbo 3800 5 speed, with some deep 18s out back.... slammed, glass paint job, etc.... ac too :)

Looked into this swap for my car based on low cost and large availability of parts but decided against it because of weight issues.

What was the issue? As far as I remember our g54b with turbo and manifold weight close to 450lbs the 3800 with Accessories and sc is 475. I would love to swap a set of aluminum heads on but it kind of kills the low cost swap theme for a 35lb savings. Besides I think by the time I dump the SC and build a aluminum sheet metal intake drop all of the unnessary brackets I should be able to match the stock weight?

is this the bellhousing from the aussies ?

why not use the f-body 5speed also ?

we have a corolla clubmember in orlando with a supercharged 3800/5 spd, powered 1974 corolla.

got some pictures on my cpu of a 3800 powered starquest, from austarion

yeah, 3800 is better than the older gn 3.8.

I would still like to build a "hot rod" using the 3800. I'm not counting my buick v6 days over just yet.... as I got my eye on a clean 2 door chevy chevette sittin in a friends garage.

I told him "you know you really not ever gonna do anything with that chevette - stop kiddin yourself. Call me whenever you're ready".

I'll build a nice turbo 3800 5 speed, with some deep 18s out back.... slammed, glass paint job, etc.... ac too :)

It depends on the transmission I pick. I am leaning towards the T5 since it can be built to handle 550ftlbs. The stock f body t 5 is very weak. It was rated at like 245ftlbs and the bell housing is tilted so that the stick leans toward the driver. I would use a bellfrom a 93 s-10. And a T5 from a early 90's mustang

The chevette would be a sweet project :)

If you can I would love to see the pictures of the 3800 swaped station.

these probably 6 to 7 years ago

http://i53.tinypic.com/1z374uf.jpg

http://i55.tinypic.com/2yoe2p5.jpg

3800 plucked from holdens is a popular oz/nz corolla swap choice too.... especially for their freestyle burnout competitions. Impressive videos on youtube of the l'il V6 liten em up for days

• 1 month later...
I build a GTP that a drag raced and i bought EVERYTHING from ZZP! they are the best, when it was all said and done my GTP ran 12 seconds flat and it had potential for so much more! I built the motor myself, so if you have any questions let me know. I actually was trying to sell my conquest to get a FIERO. Guys do the L67 swap in FIEROs a lot and they are crazy fast cuz they are so light! However i couldnt find a fiero body i liked, so i decided to do the Quest. Good Luck!

• 6 months later...

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg1/pagemo/2011-06-11_17-55-10_99.jpg

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg1/pagemo/2011-06-11_17-54-51_841.jpg

The motor is mounted and I went with a TKO 600, it rated to 600ftlbs. Im using a spec 3+ clutch good for close to 500 ftlbs to start.

I haven't decided yet if I should use the forged motor,stage 3 cam,billet roller rockers and all or just stay with the factory motor I have mounted until its tuned to start and run?

Anyway here's some pictures.

Thanks boho! Hope that 1jzI is running good for you. I am just trying to make sure this car gets completed soon. I have a ton of money on parts in the last few weeks now I just need some serious labor to get it on the road.

Which TKO 600 bell housing bolt pattern did you use to fit the 3800?

I am using a bell from a 94 s10 with a T5, I will have to add the 4th bolt hole that sticks out out on the TKO but that's it as far as I know. The trans should be here tomorrow so I will have a better idea then. I know several of the f body camaro crowd are doing the same.

Pictures when I get it ready to install. Not sure how it will fit in the trans tunnel either.

Have you decided on if your going twin or single yet?.

Yeah...im kind of sad to say i am going single large turbo. Main reason is cost and complexity. I have to just get it completed and on the road maybe one day in the future i can take the time to twin turbo it??

I am using a bell from a 94 s10 with a T5, I will have to add the 4th bolt hole that sticks out out on the TKO but that's it as far as I know. The trans should be here tomorrow so I will have a better idea then. I know several of the f body camaro crowd are doing the same.

Pictures when I get it ready to install. Not sure how it will fit in the trans tunnel either.

I was wrong on the bell housing bolt pattern, the TKO has a wide 4 bolt pattern and im going to have to make a adapter plate or redrill the bell housing?? Not sure yet but i will update when i come up with my final plan.

• 2 weeks later...

The plan at this point is to open up the center hole on the S10 bellhousing then weld on to the bell some "ears" on three of the bolts and on one add a boss to the inside to drill and tap. My main worry is the s10 bell may not have the overall strength so im going to add some ribs as well while im welding the ears on.

Started building the headers today, they would be so simple if not for the steering box on the drivers side, i will need to make the back cylinder actually point down to clear it then turn it back up. I am doing a basic log style header pointing forward.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey just wanted to say I think this is a sweet swap! I actually thought about doing this. I had a 99 Pontiac GTP everything was purchased from ZZP ( zzperformance.com) that I rebuilt myself and got 350hp to the wheels. It ran 12 seconds flat on the 1/4 mile which was sweet, cuz it was a total sleeper! LOVE THE L67! GOOD LUCK!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so i finally finished the engine to trans issues. I mounted a ford TKO 600 to the 3800 using a modified 94 S10 bell housing. I had to open up the hole in the bell for the input shaft bearing(which i indicated and bored) then i made mounting tabs from 1" 6061 bar stock. I then welded these mounting ears to the bell housing to mate to the wider bolt pattern of the TKO.

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg1/pagemo/2011-12-18_15-33-51_606.jpg

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg1/pagemo/2011-12-18_15-34-17_499.jpg

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg1/pagemo/2011-12-18_15-35-03_293.jpg

so now it time to get measurments to have a driveshaft made. :-)