87 Harness in 88 problem

All, I recently had to change out my main wiring harness in my 88 Conquest. I've run into this problem near the end of getting everything in. The main harness plugs into the interior harness, but the 87 and 88 are different. Notice...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3220/2306298804_dcf2246d2d_o.jpg

The 87 harness plug only has 9 pins were the 88 has 11.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2201/2306298656_fd9eed4194_o.jpg

And even though most of the wires match up on both harness', you'll notice that the 2 wires on the 88 that are missing on the 87 are red with a black strip indication power to something.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3272/2306298724_f60f015740_o.jpg

Anybody have experience with this and know what needs to be done to make this work? I don't have an 88 main harness, so I need to make this work. Much thanks.

if the ol brain is working i think the extra red/blk is the ecu keep alive mem power,,the 87 harness had it connect'd to the main power feed for the main relay, in 88 they add'd a wire for it all by it's self

also some time in 88 they start'd useing the 89 harness connectors along with the smaller wires ,, same useage just smaller dia wires ,,the ecu will need you to add a power feed to the red/blk on the 88 harness straight from the fuse links, always after a fuse link not befor

• 2 weeks later...

may i ask why if your runing a FIP ecu you bother'd with the harness swap at all

one thing i for got to mention in the earlier post ,,the out put to the in dash boost gauge is also in the B38 connector along with the a/c signal, oil pressure gauge and indash temp gauge signal wire

and starter engauge power

may i ask why if your runing a FIP ecu you bother'd with the harness swap at all

one thing i for got to mention in the earlier post ,,the out put to the in dash boost gauge is also in the B38 connector along with the a/c signal, oil pressure gauge and indash temp gauge signal wire

and starter engauge power

Shelby, are you sure about the starter going through the b38? I know it's in the same harness if you remove it, but I don't think it goes through the b38. When I did mine, the starter wire ran from the starter, into that harness on the drivers side, then back out by the battery to the harness that runs down the drivers side fender. This is on an 88. I didn't check on the gauges to the dash, I will run all different gauges anyway.

You're making me very nervous here, but I gotta disagree with ya Shelby. The starter wire doesn't go through b-38, it does go through b-48, which is the connector at the ignition switch. But it doesn't go through b-38 anywhere that i can find. On a manual trans car, it goes from b-48 to a-37 to a-40 (starter relay) back to a-37 to a-31 to a-73 (which is the starter itself.) On an auto car, it goes from b-48 to a-20 (neutral switch) to a-37 then follows the same path as a manual car.

If i'm wrong here, please correct me and accept my apoligies.

EDIT: all of this is per the 88 wiring diagram....

Edited by slowquest

your realy gona make me work for this aren't you :)

ok your partly right but if you check the diagrams close enought you'l see they did not finesh the start circirt wireing , they show the start signal going from ign swt to the starter lock out relay,,and thats all it is, cause it has no funtion in operateing the starter it's only job is to open the circirt if the alarm is activate'd ,but from the relay back to the starter it is all mess'd up , as you and i both know all inside car wireing that has anything to do with the fuel system harness has to connect thru B38, and thats the only connector in the harnnes that conects to the cars system and the starter .

the same signal wire that triggers the ecu and main relay is the only start signal wire in the system, it branches off to to main relay and the ecu,,and continues to the starter solonid , but first it does travel thru the starter loc out relay from the ign swt

if you don't beleave me unplug the B38 and try the starter ;)

now i didn't go completely thru the alarm system diagrams it may well id the proper path way in that one but the others are not complete

Edited by Shelby

I just tried it on the 88 with the megasquirt, cranks over fine, but won't start with b38 unplugged. I've only got the main relay, for fuel pump and power to the ms, running through the b38 (only 3 wires left coming out of that plug, blue, black w/yellow trace, and black)

as a matter of fact, the entire harness that ran along the inside of the pass wheel well has been removed, and the ms wire loom took it's place. I did have to remove the single wire that ran inside that harness that was for the starter. but the wire that was in that harness for the starter didn't go through b38, i just removed that one wire from the harness, and left it plugged in to the starter solenoid, and the connector by the igniter box.

wires also in the fuel harness that do not go to the ecu and fuel system are the indash temp gauge,,the oil pressure sender,, and of course the start signal,, there are two wires for the a/c but they only run a short distance in the fuel harness and tie in by the coil , very easy to extend them to the swts and sensors from the connector

if you realy want'd to get the indash boost gauge to work after going to a MS or FIP ecu you can wire in a pre 87 map/boost sensor and feed a wire to the indash gauge , the pre 87 map/boost sensor is a lot more acurate then the 87 up as it's s not a guess but a true pressure sensor

wires also in the fuel harness that do not go to the ecu and fuel system are the indash temp gauge,,the oil pressure sender,, and of course the start signal,, there are two wires for the a/c but they only run a short distance in the fuel harness and tie in by the coil , very easy to extend them to the swts and sensors from the connector

if you realy want'd to get the indash boost gauge to work after going to a MS or FIP ecu you can wire in a pre 87 map/boost sensor and feed a wire to the indash gauge , the pre 87 map/boost sensor is a lot more acurate then the 87 up as it's s not a guess but a true pressure sensor

All this sounds fine and all, but whats the deal with the two red wires then? :D I still haven't addressed this issue, since I have been working under the hood.

whats the connector number, many years ago there was a manual on line in gif format,, turns out it was for an 87 not an 88 car,, maybe i can tell you whats what with the connector number

and yes i took a month or so to down load it pic by pic ;)