86 converted to 89 ecu

GhostStar

if your doing it expecting a lot more power for get it, esp if you can't do the work your self,,theres pages of material on swaping the harness's and ecu's take some time and do a little reading

know a bit more about what your gona have to be doing

• 2 weeks later...

The swap directions are located in FAQ's. You have to either swap the harness or mod it. Also you have to change the igniter box, computer, TPS, and MAS air (which is a perfect time to get a 1G-MAS). This alone will help, but add to it a DSM translator and GM MAS and you'll be smiling ear to ear.

I myself am about to do this very thing. I have everything except the injectors. I just cannot get a 1G-MAS to work on my '86. I've tried and tried but with no luck. If I could get a 1G-MAS to work, I wouldn't do the whole swap, but...

if your doing it expecting a lot more power for get it, esp if you can't do the work your self,,theres pages of material on swaping the harness's and ecu's take some time and do a little reading

know a bit more about what your gona have to be doing

you don't have to change the TPS or the ignitor...ECU ISC MAS and injectors...Good luck...

you don't have to change the TPS or the ignitor...ECU ISC MAS and injectors...Good luck...

To put it another way, go standalone if you own an 86 and want more than stock performance with the easiest conversion that is also fully tune-able.

Jimmy

To put it another way, go standalone if you own an 86 and want more than stock performance with the easiest conversion that is also fully tune-able.

Jimmy

I converted my 86 to an 88 by modifying my 86 harness and a 1-g MAS. I skipped the ISC portion and set my idle with the throttle stop screw. It wasnt' perfect and cold start/running was an issue. It ran very well, up to 19 PSI on a T-4, but the idle/cold starts prompted me to go MPI.

That was 6+ years ago and I've not looked back B)

I never got more than 13 PSI with that T-4 on the 86 ECU, even with the FCD and hacking on the MAS etc. The 86 ECU just won't make much power.

If I were to do it agan, I'd do MPI if I wnated lots of power or planned future mods. I'd do a full harness/sensor swap if I planned a tame street setup with mild mods (for which an 88 ECU is fine).

Chad, exactly. I bought an '86 modded ECU off EBAY proly 6 years ago with a JETPeformance chip in it. It said on the cover "25 psi boost cut" Still had a 13.5 psi cut. Hmmm. So I went to Radio Shack and grabbed a 10K Pot.. It worked... Basically, I came to the conclusion that the only way I'm evr going to see 15-18 psi on my 20g w/o fuel problems that is to change over to a '88+ set-up. All I need still is some decent Pri/Sec injectors. I've already got everything else for the (upgrade).

The swap is a definate improvement.

i could get 23 PSI on a stock 12A turbo, but the bigger turbos flow more at lower pressures than that. It's not a boost cut, it's and air flow limit.