Can you swap passenger and driver seats and brackets?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Matt888

Matt888

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Interests:Not breaking down in the TSi
  • Model:Other

Posted 28 February 2018 - 07:34 PM

I was about to get my front seats reupholestered on my 89 when I stumbled across another pair of 89 seats for $75.  Here's the kicker...  both passenger seats are in good condition (standard black leather).  Has anyone attempted to put a passenger seat on a driver's seat bracket?  Realizing the brackets are obviously different, anyone have any idea if it will work?  I've been quoted $1000 to upholster a pair of our front leather seats, so swapping brackets would be pretty sweet.

#2 ucw458

ucw458

This will mean the extinction of all life forms on this planet.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,636 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 28 February 2018 - 10:45 PM

The brackets are different and the seats are different.  The mechanical adjustments built into the seats are specific to which side they were meant to be on.  Even if you got it to work the seat would be shifted closer to the door and all the controls would be on the wrong sides.  You would be sitting farther away from the shifter and the steering wheel wouldn't be centered on the seat.  It would be odd looking and probably a little odd to operate.

Why not get them re-done in cloth.  Cloth seats were rare for these cars.  More comfortable and cheaper too.
My 87
Posted Image

#3 Matt888

Matt888

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Interests:Not breaking down in the TSi
  • Model:Other

Posted 01 March 2018 - 06:47 AM

Thanks for the feedback.  I figured the seat lumbar adjustments could potentially be on the wrong side, but having the levers to move or bend the seat on the wrong side is a definite no-go.  

Personally, I'm more of a leather guy.  Cloth is more "comfy", but I prefer the ease of cleaning leather and the aesthetics of it inside a clean Fiji.  :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users