Painting a valve cover?

Szester

The reason i ask is because i will be cleaning the valve cover on the FJ here pretty quick and would like to paint it as long as its off, so what would you guys recommend other then ceramic?

http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo225/szester/Picture060.jpg

Edited by Szester

Guest Kenmarrow

I have painted a valve cover on a starquest,, it seems to be holding up well enough to recommend it for you to try.. If your auto parts store carries " Duplicolor" Paints They will have an Anodized look paint that will hold up at 500 degrees and is recommended for V.C.'s it is a three part paint system,, an adhesion coat, a base coat then color coat. ya get all 3 for around $25.00. They did not have a lot of color options :(

But check it out it seems to be doing ok on my car.. Good luck Ken

Heres a shot of it

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd65/Kenmarrow/89%20TSI/Dec15008.jpg

With exhaust right there and no shields powder coating will burn off, it will start slowly and wrinkle then look like crap.

You can just high temp spray paint it and put your money into wrapping for that exhaust and eliminate the source of your problem.

Guest Kenmarrow
I still can't believe ken is actually driving a 4-banger.. . hahhaa lol wt.... :moped:

Yea well if the 4 banger did not respond to my attempt to make it go, it would have been gone. I have another 4 bolt 350 SBC sitting 5 feet away lurking from under the work bench, just wanting to jump into this figi. Besides it runs pretty well for a 4 banger maybe just a lilttle :nxsmile: add 10 psi of turbo boost It just might be enuf to make me smile..

Yea well if the 4 banger did not respond to my attempt to make it go, it would have been gone. I have another 4 bolt 350 SBC sitting 5 feet away lurking from under the work bench, just wanting to jump into this figi. Besides it runs pretty well for a 4 banger maybe just a lilttle :nxsmile: add 10 psi of turbo boost It just might be enuf to make me smile..

maybe once... :)

Edited by strang3majik

Most of the time, places that do poweder coating, will also do electrocote. If you have it electrocoted, it will never come off. When I worked for John Deere, we tested electrocote on iron parts, we coated it nad let it sit in a vat of salt water for 6 months. it was still coated and no rust, peeling or damage to the parts. electrocote black, has the look of trim paint, kinda satin look. very durable. Just my 2 cents worth on this

I just dropped my G54B valve cover and heat shields off for powder coating 15 minutes ago, should be done tomorrow or Monday. I'd say go with powder coating, it's def. more expensive but worth it. As far as what Indiana said about it wrinkling and coming off, I've never heard of that happening with powder coat, but I guess anything is possible...

I just dropped my G54B valve cover and heat shields off for powder coating 15 minutes ago, should be done tomorrow or Monday. I'd say go with powder coating, it's def. more expensive but worth it. As far as what Indiana said about it wrinkling and coming off, I've never heard of that happening with powder coat, but I guess anything is possible...

Pry a bad primer job, i think im gonna use high heat paint on it, or at least try.

Guest Kenmarrow
Pry a bad primer job, i think im gonna use high heat paint on it, or at least try.

Just do not use header, exhaust manifold paint.. it will not, NOT look good...Use engine paint if you are gonna go that way, and they have a better selection of colors.

If You are gonna paint it, sand it, or even better sandblast it, so that it has some texture, then use a self etching primer. then paint. I still say powdercoating is the way to go. $150 and I had my valvecover, oil pan, motormounts, all pulleys and harmonic balancer, battery tray, and hood latch assy, and some other misc. brackets all done in silver vein. And I will never have to mess with them again.

BC_99

Alright, so engine paint or powdercoat, im gonna call a few places and see what pricing will be.

Also, i had the chance to get it on the road yesterday. MY EYES! They hurt so bad i had to bring it back, i think i have some kind of exhaust leak...

Edited by Szester

ok, so I assume you are working on the FJ 60 in the pic, yes?

#1 sweet ride, those things are great and you could de-rail a train with it.

#2 exhaust leak....eyes hurt...? What kind of fuel are you runnin in that thing that it should hurt your eyes? Been welding anything lately? That could be another reason for unusual eye strain. Just speakin from experience, but if you have an exhaust leak bad enough that it hurts your eyes I should think you'd hear it as well. Also How rich is it running that it hurts your eyes?

BC_99

This was powder coated and it started to wrinkle at the bottom edge with that shield but the header was later coated with TurboX and wrapped. If you can wrap it great it not you will at least need some insulated shields

http://www.b2600turbo.com/BE1/IM003035.JPG

ALL the stock heat shields for a Conquest were aluminized just like your exhaust pipes and the one over the turbo has a fiber insulation inside of it, if you just plain POWDER COAT a heat shield you just WASTED MONEY it WILL BURN OFF. You might try header coating on a heat shield but unless its certain header coatings even they burn off eventually, first they start to peel. TurboX coating so far has lasted for us on headers with no peeling or cracking.

http://www.prokoteindy.com/

They did the last headers and downpipes for us, if you'll notice that header they show for turboX is on Kurts truck engine so if you want other views of what that TurboX coating looks like here's some:

http://www.b2600turbo.com/images/IM000749.JPG

http://www.b2600turbo.com/images/IM000750.JPG

http://www.b2600turbo.com/images/IM000751.JPG

ok, so I assume you are working on the FJ 60 in the pic, yes?

#1 sweet ride, those things are great and you could de-rail a train with it.

#2 exhaust leak....eyes hurt...? What kind of fuel are you runnin in that thing that it should hurt your eyes? Been welding anything lately? That could be another reason for unusual eye strain. Just speakin from experience, but if you have an exhaust leak bad enough that it hurts your eyes I should think you'd hear it as well. Also How rich is it running that it hurts your eyes?

BC_99

Alright, well, i think i might now part of the problem. My carbs fuel line was stuck wide open so it was running crazy rich, i had to replace the spark plugs because i fouled them out. New carb and fuel lines are going in this weekend...also the exhaust will be done. I think that should help.