Water on pass. side floor

Professor

I have an 85.5 Starion. I washed the car and went on a 275 mile trip and used the A/C. The next day I noticed I had about 1/2 gallon of water on the passenger side floor. I think it is coming from the A/C. I can't find the drain tube for the A/C. I looked under the car for the tube but I couldn't find it. I removed the glove box and the lower panel and still nothing. As a last resort, I even looked in the manual but could find nothing. Maybe the water didn't come from the A/C. When I removed the panel under the glove box. there was puddles of water on it. Is there a vent or something else that may leak from the cowl area? It must be coming from the A/C drain but where is it?

If you pull up the carpet on the passenger's side, you will see a tube coming from the a/c to a hole in the floor.  Disconnect it at the top, have something ready to catch the extra water.  Pull the tube out of the hole going through the floor pan.  You will have a rubber tube and a metal end.  Separate the two of them and blow both pieces out.  Put back together and re-install in car.

This should fix the problem.

Jimmy

I checked the cooling system and it is still full. I was hoping it wasn't the heater core. When I sponged the liquid up, it didn't feel or smell like anti-freeze. I think I lucked out!

Just to avoid further complications with this fix, the drain hose isn't always where it will get plugged.  As I learned through my own wet floor, if the hose seems clear already, and while you have the hose disconnected from the AC unit, gently take a tiny screwdriver or Allen head wrench (that's what I used), and push it up in the hole where the rubber hose attaches.  Be careful, cuz if there's H20 up there you better want to have something to catch it! ;D

although not likely, it may help to work from the very bottom of the hose under the car, and just blow it clear with an air hose.  That helped my cause.  This is pretty common.  Maybe Jeremy's post should be FAQ material for newbies?

It's fixed. The hose was plugged. When I disconnected the hose from the A/C, a lot of water came out. That's a dumb place to put the drain hose. If a passenger puts their foot on that spot, it would cut off the water flow. This hose had something in the end blocking the drain. I did as Band Y said and made sure nothing was blocking the water in the drain hole connection. I think what mstieg suggested would have worked but I didn't get that post until after the fact. The next time I will try it. This should be in the FAQ's if it's that common. Thanks for the help!

Been There!!! Done That!!!  It is listed as one of my Top 10 Maintenance Checks.

I would go one step farther and replace that rubber hose with a longer one.  I believe that the AC drain hose is the cause of our rusty passenger side frame rail problems.

http://home.earthlink.net/~rbrown23/indysw...tml#topten_02.0

11) A/C Drain Hose. If you hear gurgling sounds when running A/C, replace the a/c drain hose under your glove box. The water will short out the ECU in passenger's side kick panel. There is another drain hose between inside/floor rails of car. Check/Clean as needed. Better yet, extend this drain hose to prevent rust on passenger's side frame rail.

• 1 month later...

There was talk about the ECU being the first thing the water reaches.

What will happen to the ECU, and can it be replaced? Sorry if these are

dumb questions, but i only know what the abbreviation stands for,

i don't even know where it is exactly located, or how expensive it is,

or even what it looks like. Can someone fill me in, i'm tired of feeling

stupid about a car i OWN!! >:(

The ECU is located on the passenger side in back of the kick panel. It isn't as low as the floor. The water on my 85.5 was just on the floor and didn't get on the ECU at all. I suppose if one continued to use the air conditioner for many days it could fill up the floor area and get on the computer. I think before that happened the driver would notice the sloshing water and do something about it. The ECU can be replaced fairly easily but they usually sell for 80 to 100 bucks.

There was talk about the ECU being the first thing the water reaches.

What will happen to the ECU, and can it be replaced? Sorry if these are

dumb questions, but i only know what the abbreviation stands for,

i don't even know where it is exactly located, or how expensive it is,

or even what it looks like. Can someone fill me in, i'm tired of feeling

stupid about a car i OWN!! >:(

ECU = Engine Control Unit - the main computer controlling your fuel injection.  It's behind that squarish plastic cover panel by the passenger's right foot.  Normally a/c system floods don't get to it... but if your windshield gasket ever leaks the water runs inside the "A" pillar (bodywork along sides of windshield - the first post holding up your roof) through the dash and it dumps right onto the ECU.  Depending on the model year of your car the ECU connectors can be on the top of the ECU case or the bottom... when they're on top this water dumps right onto them causing corrosion... and the connectors let the water into the ECU guts.  Not good.

mike c.

• 2 weeks later...