Wideband, what to go with?

natallica

I've been tossing around the idea of purchasing a wideband. I know, I know...I've been in the game long enough to have bought one of these already. But my primary concern was getting the car "stable", using my cash for that at first. Now I think I'm to the point where I need to know whats going on when stumbling and poor idling etc. occurs.

I've been searching around for the last 3 hours or so trying to decide which system to go with. I'm not worried about modding, and MAF translators and all of that stuff any time soon at all. Just a quality, nice looking easy to understand system that I can get a handle on AFR for troubleshooting.

Innovate

AEM

PLX

Prosport EVO

Any Input would be great guys. I've searched through the threads, but didn't really find what I was looking for

Thanks

-N8

Edited by natallica

ive had great success with the prosport evo, same price as the aem but with a newer bosch sensor i believe. no stutter and works like a real digital guage should. going to be ordering an egt guage and fuel pressure guage from them aswell.

I was browsing around amazon tonight looking at tools

and I came across a OBD2 scanner that uses wireless.

I was like for 14.99?

it was just the port tranciever but I thoughty that is getting cheap.

Why don't they have a wide band that is wireless?

I did a search and it is coming but it won't be for a while,

but when it does the price of wideband wired products

IMHO are going to take a major drop.

I take that back they're here but it will be a coulple years before that wired prices go down

So get something 1/2 priced or used if you can or just wait a year or two.

Or go wireless now

Edited by Metric-man

being your not worried about modding, no MAF trans ect how do you expect to make corrections if you do detect / log something?

If your just looking at it for the idea of keeping an eye on stuff to watch if something is out of spec and then making the repairs... I can see that. That being said it sounds like you don't have other logging abilities so chose one you can log with also. Most of those will allow you to feed other sensors too. This is nice because you can then also add things like EGT, oil presure, water temp, air temp ECT ECT.... but again. without a way to make adjustments kind of pointless. And if your not thinking about modding it, or turning up boost / pushing it.... what do you really need to keep an eye on?

And by your list I would choose the AEM.

Edited by jszucs

being your not worried about modding, no MAF trans ect how do you expect to make corrections if you do detect / log something?

In all reality, I said that because I know nothing about it... I have a hard enough time making the car run properly with mostly all stock parts. I keep chasing my tail as far as TPS/ISC, CTS, LSP Injectors yada, yada, yada.

Everyone asks "What are your AFR readings during sputter", then says "WHAT, you don't have a wideband, there's the problem...step 1 get a wideband!"(or at least a narrowband) so you know what it's doing and when it goes rich/lean. That will help immensely"

So I figured, I'd look into one. For troubleshooting purposes.

If I have to, I'll do some research and learn some things and maybe add some of the other items if needed, but as of right now... She doesn't run 100% and I'd like to have some idea as to what to look into.

-N8

I've had experience with 3 different Innovate Lc-1 units and had nothing but trouble with all 3 on different cars, multiple free air calibrations that lasted an hour or less, errors and one complete failure two weeks in. I ran an AEM on my personal daily driver for nearly two years and never had one single stutter, error, delay or issue. I then resold it for 15 less than I paid new on Ebay. I was skeptical given that some of AEMs parts in the past were more show than go but the electronics/guages are stellar. I've also had experience with the truboost and two other AEM widebands (one digital, one analog face) on a car I have tuned and they were solid too.

Does the AEM have a 0-1v scaled output for a stock computer? My PLX does, though my ecu reads wideband, so I don't need it, but for a stock car, I'd definitely use one with this feature. The PLX hasn't ever had a problem either.

I use an Innovative LC1 and the only issue I ever had was my own fault due to a poor ground. It has the ability to be recalibrated witch is a big plus in my opinion.With a couple add ons it can also be used to log if u ever decide to do so.

gig out

Edited by DMNDSTAR87

AEM UEGO here, been using it for 4 years with the same sensor and it still works as well as the day I got it, no issues. On my MPI'd starion it's my only O2 sensor.

Zeitronix. If you can live without the factory clock you can do this.

http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j442/creakyjoints/Zeitronix%20wideband%20install/IMAG0213.jpg

I got an aem. I got the analog style and its nice and I herd nothing but good things about them.

But I must admit creaky's looks bad tail!

Put an MTXL into a friends skyline, easy install, works perfectly so far... I went out and bought an LC1 after this, as i was quite impressed, but I didn't want the gauge, just the 0-5v output. Havent installed it yet.

I've heard good thing about the AEM units from heaps of people too.

I went with the innovative LC-1 years ago. I've been happy with it and it's been trouble free for me. One of the reasons I went with it was the cost of a new WBo2. It uses a common WBo2 that can be purchased cheaper than a new NBo2 (at least last I looked). Also it has dual outputs. So I used the second output to simulate a NB signal and stayed with my NB-AFR gauge. Only it reads accurate versus NB.

Shawn

Yeah, the AEM one also uses a Bosch O2 sensor which I believe last I checked was about $60 for the replacement.