Auto to 5-spd: What to do about the pedals?

Jeremy_C

So the last thread on the swap is going on a year old, and I'm not a big fan of resurrecting (zombies can be a real pain, ya know?).

I did this years ago, and shortly afterwards my engine popped, and I've let the car sit since. With me bringing the car out of the mothballs to start working on it, I realize that I have a serious issue with my pedal placement. Clutch pedal is where it should be, but my brake pedal is way too far to the right. I cannot touch my gas pedal without touching the brake. This is not an optimal placement.

How did you other swappers get around this? I'm using the 5-spd pedals, and did not move any brackets for the gas or brake. Any help would be appreciated. :)

If I could get the proper spacing I would be happier. The major issue I see is that I don't think the 5-spd gas pedal will fit in the auto car due to the trans tunnel. I'd have to beat it in a bit for proper clearance. I might do that once I know how much space I need for the T-56, but I still don't know if that will give me the space needed or not.

the 5 speed brake pedal will fit best, but you have to bend it over about 3/4-1". It's easy to do, just install it, grab a good hold of it and pull, it will move. I've done 2 auto --> 5 speed swaps, worked great on both of them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
the 5 speed brake pedal will fit best, but you have to bend it over about 3/4-1". It's easy to do, just install it, grab a good hold of it and pull, it will move. I've done 2 auto --> 5 speed swaps, worked great on both of them.

Bend the brake or gas pedal over? I bent the gas pedal towards the transmission tunnel. Perfect spacing.