11 replies to this topic

#1 88whitestarion

88whitestarion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Interests:Keep the turbo spooled!

Posted 22 January 2020 - 09:44 PM

I purchased KYB's from Rockauto. The only strut cartridges they offer are for non adjustable struts. I have adjustable struts that were previously modified to accept a Tokico cartridge. When I put the KYB cartridge in the strut and tighten the cap there is about a 1/4 inch of play. One option, I guess, would be to find a spacer to put in the bottom of the strut to eliminate the play. It's a little tricky because of the varying shape at the bottom of the strut.

I also noticed when both the Tokico's and the KYB's are both fully extended the KYB's are about an inch shorter. I guess the inch would just reduce the range a little. Not ideal, but I guess it would work.

If anyone has converted their adjustables to accept a cartridge, let me know what you used.

Thanks,

Dave

#2 87redcat

87redcat

10 years and counting...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,016 posts
  • Interests:Aircraft Mechanic, having the wife tell you its about time you finished MY car...
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 23 January 2020 - 04:45 AM

KYB made front inserts for both the flatty and fatty models. Sounds like you got a set for the flatty which are a little shorter
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

#3 techboy

techboy

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,508 posts
  • Interests:80's & 90's turbo charged cars.
  • Model:Starion

Posted 23 January 2020 - 08:24 AM

Hmm ... I have a brand new set of KYB inserts sitting at home I never got around to installing.  Pretty sure they are from RA as well, I've probably had them 3 years.  Hopefully I didn't get the shorter ones too.  I'll take a pic of the part number and report back, maybe we can compare.
1988 Starion ESi-R ... crushed by a tree 10/31/11 - back from the dead 8/2016
1988 Conquest TSi ... current driver - sold to Bigjoe 6/2016
1987 Conquest Flatty ... F/S thread - sold 8/2014
1987 Conquest TSi ... parts car - sold to Coldscrip 12/2011
1999 Eclipse 4G63 ... heavily modified.
Feeback Thread | Motor rebuild thread | Restoration thread

Posted Image

#4 psu_Crash

psu_Crash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,246 posts
  • Interests:400+ WHP 450+ WTQ!!... and curves with green eyes

Posted 23 January 2020 - 09:29 AM

If the other guys don't come through with a part number I may be able to help out.
'86 Starion, MPI with MS2extra, Ebay To4E 57 Trim (in testing), P&P head, OS SS Valves, Wiseco +.030, ARP head/rod, RPW Roller Cam, Crower Rods,AEM H2O/Meth Injection, Mighty Max CAS 4 Direct Fire Wasted Spark, BSE, Tial 38mm, JDL exhaust mani, HKS turbo timer and EVC3, AEM UEGO, 3" DP into 2 1/2" Dual Exhaust, 85# Delphi's, Magna modded by Chad, Accufab FPR, Walbro 255, D2 Coilovers, GNT Poly Bushings and mounts, Autopower 4 point cage, Funk-Lock, LED Tails and Dome ... etc^4
2016, 17, 19 SCCA Solo, Glen Region Season Champion in Street Modified
The Valencia Project
http://www.starquest...+golden +dreams
My Feedback Link
Posted Image

#5 pcristquester

pcristquester

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • Interests:Family, fishing, Starquests and other unique cars. IPA and IIPA

Posted 23 January 2020 - 11:25 AM

widebody KYB front strut inserts 365060. I just installed a pair on my non-shp 88 with no play that i could feel
Posted Image

#6 88whitestarion

88whitestarion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 11:41 AM

The KYB's I received from Rockauto are 365060. They are about 1/4 short in the adjustable strut housing. Maybe they fit fine in the non adjustable housing, don't know.

The body of the KYB is longer than the Tokico but the overall extended length is about an inch shorter than the Tokico. Consequently the range of motion is a little shorter. Not sure that matters, but I would prefer the extra range the Tokico's offer.

#7 markhansenconquest

markhansenconquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 01:53 PM

They don't make kybs to fit the non adjustable struts or put a 1/4 inch shim on top only !!!! Bottom of shock has to fit in round pocket to hold strut in place or it will move around while U are driving (no good)Your problem is u cant get what  U want ,,So u have to find a way to make it work ...I made front kybs fit in the stock rear housings and u loose 5/8 of travel ,but the front struts  are 3 times as strong as rears..( Modify  IT ) If u take measurements of what u have now and compare to what u make the new ones ..u will know what the difference is before u put them on car !!!...I have stock housings and my car is stock in front and rears came out 3/8 higher in back ..it took a  while to figure out how to do it ,but it can be done..(measuring at front side skirt where it meets the fender and rear at back of skirt where it meets the rear fender ..) u have to find out what the difference is before U mod it or U might end up with  low rider.....Like we say in the Tool Room   U cant get to what U want Unless U know what u have ..Measure it all out before u start ,So u know what u will end up with   IMO...

Edited by markhansenconquest, 23 January 2020 - 05:36 PM.

#8 88whitestarion

88whitestarion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 06:07 PM

Thanks for the input. I would prefer to shim the bottom, though, because the overall height is a little shorter to begin with. Shimming at the top would only make it worse. I'll need to have a spacer made for the bottom that fits properly to prevent it from moving around(Thanks Mark for the input on that part). If I had a lathe it would be an easy spacer to make. Unfortunately I'll have to find a local shop to make one for me.

#9 87redcat

87redcat

10 years and counting...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,016 posts
  • Interests:Aircraft Mechanic, having the wife tell you its about time you finished MY car...

Posted 23 January 2020 - 08:47 PM

Ive seen tokicos on ebay lately. You should check there
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

#10 techboy

techboy

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,508 posts
  • Interests:80's & 90's turbo charged cars.

Posted 23 January 2020 - 09:12 PM

Pretty sure Tokicos are long discontinued for these cars. I'd be very skeptical of any eBay ads saying they are for these cars. Triple check part numbers before you buy.
1988 Starion ESi-R ... crushed by a tree 10/31/11 - back from the dead 8/2016
1988 Conquest TSi ... current driver - sold to Bigjoe 6/2016
1987 Conquest Flatty ... F/S thread - sold 8/2014
1987 Conquest TSi ... parts car - sold to Coldscrip 12/2011
1999 Eclipse 4G63 ... heavily modified.
Feeback Thread | Motor rebuild thread | Restoration thread

Posted Image

#11 88whitestarion

88whitestarion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 09:40 PM

The Tokico's on Ebay are HZ 3079. The Tokico's I had from ten years ago that fit are HZ3079A. I think the "A" s are 1/4 inch longer than the one's selling on Ebay. Having said that, I think they would work if you were willing to make a 1/4" spacer.

#12 markhansenconquest

markhansenconquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 01:11 PM

Put  a steel 1/4 spacer on bottom and sleave the shock with plastic water pipe or something.. It only to hold shock in center of housing ……..I used the round pocket in bottom of housing and made a sleave out of my swing set pipe  I had from when I was a kid  to sleave the top to keep it centered in housing  ...I looked everywhere to find the right pipe and it was in the back yard ...hhahaha ..The inside of the pipe was just right and out side I grinded with a pedestal grind in the garage …..U don't need a machine shop to do it ...U just have to think about it...…….if U have measurements of housing I have some more of the pipe I used …I have some more pipe if U need ??

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users