tux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,228 posts
  • Model:Starion

Posted 03 December 2018 - 01:55 PM

Hey guys,

I'm trying to put the transmission back in.  Everything seems to be aligned (clutch/pilot bearing) and I can feel the transmission slide into the teeth of the clutch.

When wiggling around the tranny I can feel some kind of light feedback (i'm assuming grazing over the hole for the pilot bearing).

But I can't get her in there.  I've tried for a few hours.  Tried jacking up the engine from the pulley a bit.  all kinds of wiggling and so, but I can't get her in.

Anyone have any tips?

#2 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,983 posts
  • Interests:bmx, cars, computers

Posted 03 December 2018 - 02:02 PM

I'll ask a few of the standard questions just because someone else will and we might as well get it out of the way right now.

1) Did you use an alignment tool?
2) Did you try using the bolts to force the transmission and engine together? If so you could have damaged something
3) Have you checked the condition of both the pilot bearing and the transmissions input shaft?

Otherwise I'd say one of the biggest things it to take your time, focus on trying to get the transmission and engine parallel with eachother, and if you can get some help.

Edited by speedyquest, 03 December 2018 - 02:02 PM.

1987 Flatty Starion -- Widebody Conversion -- V-Mount Setup --  JDL Tubular Manifold  --  MX-6 Intake -- MS3-Pro -- AEM FPR  --  ARP head studs -- 3" hood exit exhaust -- Hahn Racecraft 16g --  Tial F38 Wastegate -- Tial Q Bov -- Short route piping -- 5 lug & LSD conversion -- Tubular Front End -- Manual Steering Rack Conversion -- Manual Brake Conversion -- Stack Digital Dash -- AEM UEGO -- D2 coilovers -- full GNT poly bushings & mounts -- four 8" rears -- car lightened significantly...  More to come!

Posted Image

Build Thread --->  http://www.starquest...opic=143564&hl=

#3 tux

tux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 02:44 PM

1) Yes, I used the plastic exedy alignment tool and double checked with a metal universal tool I had
2) No, I haven't use the bolts to force it together.
3) The pilot bearing is brand new and I "test fit" it on the input shaft prior to pressing the bearing into the flywheel.

#4 pcristquester

pcristquester

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,238 posts
  • Interests:Family, fishing, Starquests and other unique cars. IPA and IIPA
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 03 December 2018 - 03:59 PM

Maybe check the alignment dowels for damage
Posted Image

#5 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,983 posts
  • Interests:bmx, cars, computers

Posted 03 December 2018 - 04:39 PM

View Posttux, on 03 December 2018 - 02:44 PM, said:

1) Yes, I used the plastic exedy alignment tool and double checked with a metal universal tool I had
2) No, I haven't use the bolts to force it together.
3) The pilot bearing is brand new and I "test fit" it on the input shaft prior to pressing the bearing into the flywheel.

Then I've got no idea, you've done everything you should do.

1987 Flatty Starion -- Widebody Conversion -- V-Mount Setup --  JDL Tubular Manifold  --  MX-6 Intake -- MS3-Pro -- AEM FPR  --  ARP head studs -- 3" hood exit exhaust -- Hahn Racecraft 16g --  Tial F38 Wastegate -- Tial Q Bov -- Short route piping -- 5 lug & LSD conversion -- Tubular Front End -- Manual Steering Rack Conversion -- Manual Brake Conversion -- Stack Digital Dash -- AEM UEGO -- D2 coilovers -- full GNT poly bushings & mounts -- four 8" rears -- car lightened significantly...  More to come!

Posted Image

Build Thread --->  http://www.starquest...opic=143564&hl=

#6 tux

tux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 06:08 PM

Brand new alignment dowels, freshly ground flywheel

#7 croquest87

croquest87

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts
  • Interests:all things mechanical

Posted 04 December 2018 - 06:11 AM

Just a thought   By any chance did your pilot bearing get pinched or go sideways or nicked your input shaft on small diameter? Sucks to take it off but maybe slide that flywheel and clutch on outside the car and see how it all fits. Also l would make sure that the holes that dowel bushings slip into are clean and burr /nick free as they are soft and easily get messed up. If dowel bushings are sitting at on angle for any reason things will not go smoothly. I prefer to put smooth radius on them instead of that 15 deg chamfer.Small amount of grease on mating surfaces sure makes things slide in easier lol.

Edited by croquest87, 04 December 2018 - 06:14 AM.

#8 psu_Crash

psu_Crash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,050 posts
  • Interests:400+ WHP 450+ WTQ!!... and curves with green eyes

Posted 04 December 2018 - 02:54 PM

Been there before!!
I had an install take me hours to get the dam thing to slide back together a couple years back. I've since created alignment pins by cutting the head off of some bolts and threading them into the block. Once things slide together I take them out one at a time and replace with the proper bolt.
Saves a serious amount of headache
'86 Starion, MPI with MS2extra, Ebay To4E 57 Trim (in testing), P&P head, OS SS Valves, Wiseco +.030, ARP head/rod, RPW Roller Cam, Crower Rods,AEM H2O/Meth Injection, Mighty Max CAS 4 Direct Fire Wasted Spark, BSE, Tial 38mm, JDL exhaust mani, HKS turbo timer and EVC3, AEM UEGO, 3" DP into 2 1/2" Dual Exhaust, 85# Delphi's, Magna modded by Chad, Accufab FPR, Walbro 255, D2 Coilovers, GNT Poly Bushings and mounts, Funk-Lock, LED Tails and Dome ... etc^4
2016-17 SCCA Solo Glen Region Champion in Street Modified. Going for a 3-peat this year ;)
87 Valencia Gold TSI, The new Project
My Feedback Link
Posted Image

#9 tux

tux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 04:11 PM

Great idea!

#10 mikec

mikec

not around much any more

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,307 posts
  • Interests:Finish line at the Pikes Peak "Race to the Clouds"

Posted 05 December 2018 - 12:42 AM

Another thing is to put the transmission in gear and rotate the output shaft back-n-forth so the input shaft splines rotate a bit.  That helps them seat into the clutch disk.

The transmission and engine have to be VERY closely aligned for things to work.  Just a degree or two of vertical and/or horizontal mismatch is enough to keep the transmission input shaft from even trying to fit into the clutch disk.  One thing I suggest to folks before the remove the transmission is to draw straight lines on one side and on the bottom of the transmission and matching lines on the engine.  Something you can see to verify the alignment before you resort to brute force.  Another way is to run strings from fixed points underneath the car: one string running front to back under the engine and transmission, another along the sides.  Site along those strings and draw lines on the transmission body.  Too late for you though.  What I'd do in your situation: I assume you've got the transmission on a jack or some sort of support, hopefully near the center of the transmission.  Put one hand on the bottom of the bellhousing and the other on the output shaft of the transmission.  While twisting the output shaft back-n-forth again (transmission in gear, I'd suggest 4th) lift/twist/wiggle the bellhousing end.

mike c.

#11 Dad

Dad

Advanced Member

• Vendors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,130 posts
  • Interests:One stock and one not!
    87 White Quest
    87 Shetland
    83 Starion- Chevy powered

Posted 05 December 2018 - 05:43 AM

If you force it and there is still pressure against the crank, it will destroy your crank thrust bearing, after it is all bolted just check the crank end play to be sure it still floats forward and back.  Also we are assuming this is all original parts except clutch and flywheel of course.   If you still have the pilot bushing from an automatic in your crank that will give you grief

Dad

#12 tsi_tom

tsi_tom

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 07:05 AM

Donít forget the plate between the engine and transmission.  Not sure if you took that off, but it still should align with it removed.
Engine
20 over forged pistons
Stock injection system

My restoration project: The Missouri Project

#13 tux

tux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 09:43 AM

View PostDad, on 05 December 2018 - 05:43 AM, said:

If you force it and there is still pressure against the crank, it will destroy your crank thrust bearing, after it is all bolted just check the crank end play to be sure it still floats forward and back.  Also we are assuming this is all original parts except clutch and flywheel of course.   If you still have the pilot bushing from an automatic in your crank that will give you grief

Dad

Shouldn't be any automatic pilot bushing!  The bushing fit on the input shaft before (I'm assuming it's just not able to get the right alignment)

I've got her 1-2mm from reaching the alignment dowels on the lower part of the transmission.  Just can't get it really any closer.

#14 psu_Crash

psu_Crash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,050 posts
  • Interests:400+ WHP 450+ WTQ!!... and curves with green eyes

Posted 05 December 2018 - 09:48 AM

Sounds like the pilot bearing isn't cooperating. Perhaps the pilot isn't centered up perfect. Some of those alignment tools leave a good bit of slop.

Wiggle, push, wiggle, push ... repeat. It can be a real PITA! Sometimes they fall together. Other times...
Is it close enough to get the bolts started? That might help get things lined up

Edited by psu_Crash, 05 December 2018 - 09:50 AM.

'86 Starion, MPI with MS2extra, Ebay To4E 57 Trim (in testing), P&P head, OS SS Valves, Wiseco +.030, ARP head/rod, RPW Roller Cam, Crower Rods,AEM H2O/Meth Injection, Mighty Max CAS 4 Direct Fire Wasted Spark, BSE, Tial 38mm, JDL exhaust mani, HKS turbo timer and EVC3, AEM UEGO, 3" DP into 2 1/2" Dual Exhaust, 85# Delphi's, Magna modded by Chad, Accufab FPR, Walbro 255, D2 Coilovers, GNT Poly Bushings and mounts, Funk-Lock, LED Tails and Dome ... etc^4
2016-17 SCCA Solo Glen Region Champion in Street Modified. Going for a 3-peat this year ;)
87 Valencia Gold TSI, The new Project
My Feedback Link
Posted Image

#15 tux

tux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 04:20 PM

i'm about 1-2mm from the alignment dowels on the block

#16 DSMracespeed

DSMracespeed

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
  • Interests:STARQUEST...CARS,CARS,CARS

Posted 10 December 2018 - 07:47 AM

Is the release bearing installed correctly?
I usually put a ratchet on the crank pulley bolt and rotate the engine to help allign the clutch disk splines to the input shaft...make sure to rotate the engine in the correct direction or you could jump a tooth on your timimg chain.

Jerry
'87 Starion
'88 Conquest TSI...4G63 swap
'86 Lotus Esprit Turbo...Restoring
'08 Evo X MR
'03 Evolution VIII
'03 350z
'95 Eclipse GSX
'00 Celica GTS
'02 Protege5
'88 CRX Si
'04 RX-8

#17 tux

tux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,228 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:12 PM

Just an update, I got the flu so I am giving up until I am no longer sick.

#18 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,922 posts
  • Model:Other

Posted Yesterday, 02:58 PM

I had a little bit of issue stabbing mine after rebuild.  I installed new alignment bushings on the block (the two bottom bolt holes for the tranny).  They had some slight interference with the mating holes on the transmission.   I deburred the holes but it was still tight.  Ended up using longer hardware to reach the thread and carefully pulled the tranny onto the bushings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users