33 replies to this topic

#1 Hairyion

Hairyion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Model:Starion

Posted 22 May 2018 - 01:17 AM

Here starts the tale of the 1987 Mitsubishi Starion and the mess I have gotten myself into...

#2 importwarrior

importwarrior

6 Quests and Counting......

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,310 posts
  • Interests:Boost = 2KWIK4U
    Starquests
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 22 May 2018 - 08:12 AM

well if you posted a pic I don't see it. like to know more if possible.

B-71 87 TSI ~ RIP

Black 87 Starion ~ Mess SOLD!!!

Proud New 89 slightly Rusted Fiji Owner !!!

#3 Hairyion

Hairyion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 11:13 AM

View Postimportwarrior, on 22 May 2018 - 08:12 AM, said:

well if you posted a pic I don't see it. like to know more if possible.

oh the whole story is coming.

#4 aknorthstar

aknorthstar

FarNorth Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 08:19 PM

Here is how it started....with a craigslist ad, Daren beat me to it.Posted Image

Edited by aknorthstar, 22 May 2018 - 08:20 PM.

#5 Hairyion

Hairyion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 11:43 PM

Last year about this time the weather was finally getting nice and I had a few dollars in my savings, that should have been better well spent, and I was looking for a cool old car. Normal thing for me as I usually don't go longer than 8 months owning a car which is always a $500 wonder. Looked at a '78 Camaro that was a lot more work than craigslist made it out to be. Being my 2nd year in Alaska I still was new to the ways of searching for cars. Oh and don't let me forget that EVERYTHING here is more expensive. Busted up 250k mile nissan truck, hey the 4wd works so $3500.

On to the Starion. Came across this ad that said Mitsubishi for sale, that's it. Think it had one pic of the "good" side. Called and messaged the guy with no response. Then the guy finally got back to me and I was telling the guy I have cash and really want to look at it. Took a good week. Told me where the car was so I could drive by and get a look at it.I drove by and was in awe. Exactly what I wanted. It screamed 80's and that is exactly what I am into. Had the spare on the front BTW. Finally get the guy to let me look at it and I noticed he had the original tire on it but it had a slow leak. Guy said he'd been working on cars forever. Had an Opel? fiberglass shell in the mix of the crap in his yard that was up on a conex ( shipping containers that are on barges, huge thing to have here in AK ). Ran started and idled like crap. He was just rambling on like I am now about his story of this car and kept bringing negative things up like if you don't shut up you're going to loose a buyer.

As far as I was told it was the guy's buddy's car and something about he had to sell it to the guy and if he were ever to sell it he had to sell it back to the guy. Well I guess the guy wouldn't answer his phone so he posted it online. Said the front end damage was from the previous guy. Also went on about a spark plug was stuck in the head and got a new head from a local machine shop (Alaska Drag Bike) and how he put it on. In his weird old guy on drugs rambling he said something about maybe the timing was wrong like a tooth off or something??? I thought no way... the thing wouldn't run at all or would be dead from valves crashing into pistons... HA!!!

I kept thinking whatever man lets roll and I have money. We took off him driving and we hit the highway real quick and he took off like a nut case bobbing and weaving traffic. Was like whoa this thing is actually cool. pulled off and I got in the cockpit and drove the mile home thru some side streets. Barely got onto boost because I've never driven a forced induction engine but it seemed to drive as good as any other old POS car I've had. Told the guy I'd get the money and come back in a few days. He was STILL being sketchy.

Got the cash, homie Mike Crumdawg dropping me off with his rape van and lets roll. Get out to the main street and need to take a left and start rolling slow then mid turn jab the clutch and gas to take off a little and i felt the 7psi of boost hit for the first time and sideways I went into the far lane. Grins for days. We parted ways and off to the lady's place I went. Knew the tire had a sow leak so I stopped at orielys to grab some Slime. Yea I hate the stuff, get it all over the place regularly when changing moto tires at work. Put it in and it pumped up a bit so I had in mind I'd just go get her and then go fill it somewhere. Pick her up and the front right tire is about flat. Poop. Get to the gas station, on the ground and holey crap the valve stem is about to fall off. ALL the valves stems where about to fall off and a few of them were HELD ON WITH ORANGE RTV. uhhhh. Fill up flat tire and of course it starts leaking more. Backside of the tire had a crack in the sidewall and WAS COVERED UP WITH ORANGE RTV. Long part of this chapter short I found that Sears had some OEM sized Cooper touring tires in stock for a good price and picked them up the next day. Already more than what I wanted to spend. Mounted and balanced them at the motorcycle shop I work at the next day, even did a little vacuuming and cleaning of the ancient crud build up on the interior.

This is just the first chapter...

Posted Image

#6 Hairyion

Hairyion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 11:45 PM

View Postaknorthstar, on 22 May 2018 - 08:19 PM, said:

Here is how it started....with a craigslist ad, Daren beat me to it.

Holy crap! I thought you said you saw it online before, didn't think you actually saw it around when I got it. That license plate is so stupid.

Edited by Hairyion, 22 May 2018 - 11:47 PM.

#7 Hairyion

Hairyion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 02:52 AM

First MOD was taking the plate off the middle off the fascia and wood-screwing it down low for better downforce.

Got about 10hp from that I'm guessing since when I took it out on the highway for the first time getting up to time-travelling speed (88), something went flying in front of the windshield then I watched from the rearview mirror as is smacked down onto the road behind me. A bird? Nope. 8 inch circle of Bondo on the front of the car that couldn't handle time travel.

Blows my mind why anyone even bothered with the bondo...

Posted Image

#8 Hairyion

Hairyion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 02:53 AM

Another beauty shot...  the "good side"

Posted Image

#9 Preludedude

Preludedude

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,969 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 05:20 AM

Proper thread title.   :)

#10 Hairyion

Hairyion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 02:43 AM

Posted Image

No more orange rtv but still rockin' the dents.

#11 Hairyion

Hairyion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 03:11 AM

It's been almost a year so a the order of events might be a little off but it's not like any of you are going to know anyways...

Pic up above of the car sitting with all the cool kids was my first outing with it at the local Sam's club parking lot that we like to call the "BroBell" meet. Tacobell is connected to the parking lot. Every Friday in the summer people with there whips come out and fill up a few rows usually of the parking lot and sometimes a food truck will be present. Normal yay-hoos but there will be some cool guys with serious cars to show off. I see a guy I know with his bruhs and he knew what the car was surprisingly. One of the very few that did. We b.s.'ed and he said there is a guy with another one of these cars around and asked if I knew him. No i do not but I probably should. Well he told me the guys name and of course I forgot but did remember the restaurant he worked at. Car was the same old stuff I had been driving for years and I hadn't been introduced to the Starion problematic nightmare yet so I didn't really go out of my way to get a hold of the dude.

I'm going to throw out some more early problems I started to find with the car.

-Front end smashed, front end support crumpled and "straightened" mainly on left side
-I believe the hood and bumper are off of a white '85? sticker is still on hood, always forget to look at it.
-headlights don't go up and down. Looked like one had different plugs? 85? sealed beams work so whatever.
-Air dam was destroyed, had flares on bottom so it was a newer model i guess.
-moldy moss in cracks and crevasses of body.
-windshield washer tube super ghetto-fied.
-various parts tired to front of car with wires. Electrical wires.
- fusable link boxes all fudged up. Taped up twisted wires here and there going to battery and box
-busted and dirt filled tail lights.
-most ghetto exhaust EVER. It's hard to even describe how rigged up it was from the midpipe back. I thing it was ran above? the rear support or one of the axles, lost the pics :(
- Windshield wipers have this weird old freezing then starting thing going on when on the low setting.
I'm sure there's more but worst of all it ran like poopoo and I didn't exactly realize what was happening...

#12 Hairyion

Hairyion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 01:48 AM

Back to it. Started driving it the whole 2 miles to work everyday and around town a bit but nothing very far at all. It would run good on and off but with dirt biking and summer being so rushed here I didn't really look into it a whole lot. Changed the oil, got some oem NGK spark plus, K&N filter and that's about it. was leaking a little oil but whatevs.

I think I said before I've never had a turbo car. This thing had a funky idle and before 2500rpm it would barely move under its own weight. It was a real TURD. I just thought hey this is what turbo lag is I guess. Ha.

Went to another "BroBell" car meet and here some Accord dweebs talking about racing or something and a pilot light lit under my seat. A crew of 3 or 4 cars rolled out of the parking lot so I jumped in the Stah-ryan but got caught at the light needing to take a right turn. They were gone. I drove down to the edge of town and lost them. Next week comes along and I have Sara with me. Well it seemed to actually be running ok ( I think I may have fixed the injector wires by now) and saw a few rides leaving out the parking lot. As soon as I saw a few more people heading to their cars I knew it was time to shine baby. Hopped in and followed the hoodies not even a mile down the road to a side road that cut thru a shopping area with Cabelas, Target and whatnot. Big parking lot. A bunch of cars sitting at the edge of the lot and I see people out at the edge. We stop and walk out and there is a good 30 some people standing in the grass watching as people are racing down the 4 lane C Street (2 lanes each way split by a divider). Oh it was on. I ran back to the car and hopped in ready to git some. I knew there was a side street that cut over to the road close by. I got over and then rolled over and bam 2 cars are lined up in the street ready to launch. They're gone. I park on the shoulder waiting for a Honda or something. It was a good quarter mile to a light then another of not much. Not much traffic at all.

A Wrx and corvette I think lined up and woosh were off. ONly been waiting a few minutes at most and few more rides roll behind me and I see them ready to line up. Ok, that white Honda 4 door is it. We're doing it. I roll up with him next to me and he looks over like wt.... is that thing? He was cool. He said at 3 you want to go? Yup. I've did a few quarter mile runs with my old NIssan Sentra and am not just some squid when it comes to driving but hadn't did a whole lot of wide open launches in this ride yet. I knew I had to be up in R's because of the turdbo but wasn't too worried because if it did spin a bunch second wouldn't. Count of 3 happened and I just straight dumped the clutch at probably 4k and really didn't have much wheel spin but he was ahead already. Second gear and he was pulling up halfway on my car. OH shiz, 3rd and close to 90 some his rear bumper was pulled away from my front. I. Lost. To. A. Honda. so we get up to the next light for a 180 to go back the other way, he stops and says we going again? Oh yeah. This time he was like what is that and is it turbo? He was impressed, ha. This time at 3 I had the thing redlining and took off scorching the tires getting a little sideways into his lane which surprisingly helped keep me on him and as we flew passed the next light rolled over 100 I was closer for sure. Rolled back to the parking lot ready to go home and cry myself to sleep but had to get a pic of the Starion crusher. Talk about a let down, this thing looked almost as hoodrat as my car. I guess it's what's under the hood that counts and the Vtec trumped the forklift engine this time. To make things worse this Nutty Nu local Instagram guru was taping for a a few minute Insta video...

Posted Image

#13 Hairyion

Hairyion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 02:02 PM

Ok... did I mention I have a terrible memory sometimes? Well I found the youtube video and the first race I got beat a lot more than I remember. My bad. But here is a link to the youtube vid where you see a short view of hargardness of my car at 3:18 and then me getting destroyed by the Honda towards the end.

https://youtu.be/qrcC8PTN0FA?t=4m40s

#14 croquest87

croquest87

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts
  • Interests:all things mechanical

Posted 03 July 2018 - 10:41 PM

Hey man Battle was lost but the war is not over yet! Sounds like that forklift motor needs some goodies and tuning that will put that Honda to shame permanently LOL.
Absolutely love reading stories like this.

#15 aknorthstar

aknorthstar

FarNorth Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 01:38 AM

11pm in AlaskaPosted Image

#16 importwarrior

importwarrior

6 Quests and Counting......

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,310 posts
  • Interests:Boost = 2KWIK4U
    Starquests

Posted 04 July 2018 - 07:16 AM

LOL. How do you sleep in daylight.
Amazing.

B-71 87 TSI ~ RIP

Black 87 Starion ~ Mess SOLD!!!

Proud New 89 slightly Rusted Fiji Owner !!!

#17 Turbo Cary

Turbo Cary

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,687 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 11:39 AM

View Postimportwarrior, on 04 July 2018 - 07:16 AM, said:

LOL. How do you sleep in daylight.
Amazing.

It has also gotta be crazy when it reverses and is dark/dusk all the time

#18 Hairyion

Hairyion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 01:37 AM

View Postcroquest87, on 03 July 2018 - 10:41 PM, said:

Hey man Battle was lost but the war is not over yet! Sounds like that forklift motor needs some goodies and tuning that will put that Honda to shame permanently LOL.
Absolutely love reading stories like this.

Haha I still have a a few chapters to go, a year behind! That pic was from blown head gasket 2 nights ago, fixing last night and 100 some miles today. Working on this car so much has got me not wanting anything to do with remembering and typing the BS I've put into this thing. :S

#19 mbruneaux

mbruneaux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts
  • Interests:Family, Strength Sports, Starquests, and Brewing Belgian Ale.

Posted 05 July 2018 - 03:18 PM

Everyone loves to follow others doing what we should be doing to our own cars!!!
Canterbury, CT
1989 Chrysler Conquest TSi (Project Race Car) Build thread http://www.starquest...opic=147910&hl=
2001 BMW 740iL - for the wife and children
2003 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 8.1  To tow the two hay burners
1998 BMW 528i manual  daily driver

Second place is S*** place , eh.  - Stéphane Peterhansel

#20 Hairyion

Hairyion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 01:06 AM

After the Honda let down (might have been before) I was driving the thing as my daily the whole 3 miles to work and close around town. It was working ok, not really a GOOD driving car but ok. Was a misty overcast afternoon one day and I noticed some steam coming from the exhaust while idling. UH OH I thought, burning coolant. I tried smelling the exhaust and well it just smelled like crap altogether with all the unburnt hydrocarbons and 30 year crappiness going on but I was worried about about it. Got the bright idea of trying out some of the hokus pokus head gasket fix potions at the auto parts stores. Can't hurt right? WRONG. Don't ever use the stuff, I repeat, don't ever use the stuff.

Blue Devil is what I bought because it looked like the good old school proven stuff to get...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users