34 replies to this topic

#1 Ptracy262

Ptracy262

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Model:Other

Posted 24 September 2018 - 09:23 PM

I've been posted a lot lately,  as I'm in the middle of the latest rebuild.

I'm going MPI,  

My builder,  aka "Adrenaline Performance" wanted me to go with a K20 rebuild.  (if anything LS1 for me - ?)

But I held to the G54b,  as that's important to me and this car and I'm stoke to show the finish very soon.

what do you think,  K20 possible?  I'm sure with no limit,  but car's too heavy?  or maybe K20 aspirated.   Just curious,  as I want to give him feed back  ( I may buy another backup and try it ).

a hah

Edited by Ptracy262, 24 September 2018 - 09:25 PM.

#2 Bradrock

Bradrock

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • Interests:Guns, metal working, guns, wrenching, guns,wood working, Gold mining, guns & cool cars.
  • Model:Starion

Posted 24 September 2018 - 09:35 PM

Number one rule here:  http://www.starquest...showtopic=38630

No rule against a Ford Ecoboost though.
Run's with scizzor's

#3 Ptracy262

Ptracy262

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 09:38 PM

That's awesome,  but again I'm staying true to the G54B as I have many dollars in it now.   But that freaking guy keeps talking K20,   I've you tubed that stuff,   bee in a jar?  but 11k rpm????

Again ,  why this post is Just BS,  or opinons are like b-holes,  eveyone's got one.

Edited by Ptracy262, 24 September 2018 - 09:40 PM.

#4 jinx

jinx

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts
  • Interests:I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Posted 25 September 2018 - 02:19 AM

if u crave the robust tq curve of an LS, you'd hate the top heavy honda tq band
For 3000 pounds of street car, a screamin 11000 rpm 2.0L is pointless.....  garbage imo

I personally enjoy seeing any mitsu powered starquest. 2.0/2.4, 2.6 or 3.0 V6, will provide any level of power you're after
...some cheaper than others, and no butchering up the car to swap the cousins (with ac), as they're relatively compact

#5 croquest87

croquest87

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts
  • Interests:all things mechanical
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 25 September 2018 - 05:42 AM

Ford Ecoboost 6 cyl twin all the way if it fits! Amazing engine especially with good catch can system to keep valves clean due to direct injection. Not sure if new design has extra injection  to spray onto the valves here and there to keep valves clean. That was a problem for boosted Ford's few years back. I drive a van w this motor it will do burnouts all day lol and pull a loaded trailer like it's not even there.

Edited by croquest87, 25 September 2018 - 06:07 AM.

#6 Turbo Cary

Turbo Cary

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 09:18 AM

K20 is possible. There is a place that sells K series RWD kits. You use either a Miata trans or BMW trans. I would run a BMW trans. The K series kits are for Miata chassis but I'm sure you could buy the adapter plate and either send them factory mounts to modify or make your own subframe and drive shaft.

Don't let these guys dog you for considering a Honda engine swap. You'll make more consistent power with a K swap versus building a G54 and trying to make everything work with parts from random cars or custom parts.

I got out of the Conquest game cause I hated the lack of parts support and options. Another swap to consider would be the J series Honda V6. Honda engines are cheap and readily available. Why swap an expensive Ecoboost ford v6 when you can get a Honda v6 for 500 bucks?

Another swap most don't think of is the Chevy Ecotec engine. I work for GM and they are stout motors. There are 6 speed RWD configurations already out there to pull and displacement ranges from 2.0 to 2.5 liter. The newer ones make 250-300 Hp on a dinky factory turbo.

Edited by Turbo Cary, 25 September 2018 - 09:21 AM.

#7 Turbo Cary

Turbo Cary

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 10:29 AM

https://kmiata.com

#8 SFBMX88

SFBMX88

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
  • Interests:WE LIKE THE MOON!!!!!

Posted 25 September 2018 - 10:59 AM

Lets not forget the K-series can also be had in 2.4 liters(K24).  Lets be real, the K series has 20+ years of advancements over the G54.  Just look at head flow.  Power potential is great with them.  It all depends on what your goals are with the car...

Posted Image

Edited by SFBMX88, 25 September 2018 - 12:40 PM.

#9 jinx

jinx

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 08:08 PM

You'll make more consistent power with a K swap versus building a G54
what does that even mean ?

I got out of the Conquest game cause I hated the lack of parts support and options
TBI G54s gone hi 12s: stock fuel, ecu, motor with bolt ons.... explain your challenges & parts support needed

why spend thousands rwd-adapting a $500 honda v6, when nissan z & tacoma already have oem rwd boxes hanging off them ?
is that what 'great parts support' is about ?

this (and other builds) say their K swap cost em $8-9000!
https://www.enginesw...pot.com/?p=2832&

https://www.youtube....h?v=yR4a7On7B3k
so u really want that in your way heavier street starquest ?
give it a week, you'll be stoning that pos on your driveway with a bucket of rocks... wife probably help u

so lets see:
u get 20+ years better technology
spend thosands of dollars more
tremendous aftermarket support (for whoever meeds that)
...just to wind up with an obnoxious loud peaky tq band, that won't ET within two seconds of tbi 2.6s mentioned above.Gee
headflow & peak hp mean nothing for a street car... thats why a g54 making almost twice the tq is way quicker
only needs under 6000rpm to do it, quietly, with ac & no swap

#10 croquest87

croquest87

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 10:22 PM

Very expensive  No matter which direction you go w this. Very cool?  Absolutely!

Both of my cars are G54b one mpi and one stock.Probably not going to beat anyone racing.LOL
If you have time money and lots of dedication? I want to see your build.

Go for it friend you only live once!

Edited by croquest87, 25 September 2018 - 11:06 PM.

#11 Ptracy262

Ptracy262

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 03:34 PM

http://lazorackmotor...s.com/services/

#12 croquest87

croquest87

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 05:20 PM

View PostPtracy262, on 26 September 2018 - 03:34 PM, said:

That car looks awesome.

#13 Ptracy262

Ptracy262

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 06:01 PM

I think they sell those flares 2300.00,  the red one you see on youtube at the Hoonigan shop I think that's his company.  (if you google that,  that's a good one to check out)  I'm sure he was or still is a member here too

#14 Bradrock

Bradrock

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • Interests:Guns, metal working, guns, wrenching, guns,wood working, Gold mining, guns & cool cars.

Posted 26 September 2018 - 06:43 PM

Years ago my Dad bought a 4cyl Fiero & swapped in one of those Buick all Aluminum 215 V8's.
I've had my eye out for one to play with, but they are getting pretty thin. Lots of go fast parts available. ( Without a nest of tubes & wires!)

Edit; I'm looking for an engine, NOT a Fiero.

Edited by Bradrock, 26 September 2018 - 06:44 PM.

Run's with scizzor's

#15 SFBMX88

SFBMX88

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
  • Interests:WE LIKE THE MOON!!!!!

Posted 27 September 2018 - 10:57 AM

If you can fix the sleeve dropping issue, Land Rovers had their own version of the 215 as a 4.6 up to 2004.

Posted Image

PS, K24 turbo all the way! :D

#16 jinx

jinx

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 03:18 AM

PS, K24 turbo all the way! :D
only hurdle I can c is... b 4 "turbo" K24, comes K24
I'd think Miata cats would know more about the cost of K20/24 swapping, than any of us
..and IF that $8-9000 price tag is real, that would qualify the K as the dumbest swap choice I've seen around here
That's aaalloottof cheese just to make a starquest slower than the average TBI = a turd (with great head flow tho)
Half that into a g54 or a 4g63/64 swap, and you can actually end up with a fast starquest

sure u can throw, what? ...another $4000 turbo stuff at the K, then it becomes 'turd polishing'?
Almost anything else out there would be a better option... at least for the money. Nothing at all special about a K
Remember, the 4g63 2.0L has wiped out an entire field of monster 3.0L 2JZs.
Last thing a fast street starquest would need is help from a Honda :D

#17 Turbo Cary

Turbo Cary

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 06:01 AM

The 8-9000 price tag is for swapping a K series into a Miata not a SQ. But you're also forgetting how much it comes with for that price. Everything bolts right in too. Very little fab work needed.

I simply linked the page as a reference to people doing RWD K swaps.

#18 Fuze

Fuze

AKA @Battlemagnet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts
  • Interests:Chess Boxing

Posted 03 October 2018 - 09:24 AM

No swap is an easy affair, nor cheap no matter what ppl say. If you have the skills to do the swap, you probably have the ability to do anything on the car so your options open up. Going with a Toyota JZ series engine like a 1.5JZ or 1JZ is a tried and tested option, just heavy. Unlimited power potential. Sub-$3000 price tag if you hunt around. There's always LS motors that can be had for $300, use a Nissan Z trans and adapter and you're still under $1500. That's why drifters put these motors into everything, they're durable.There's no denying that you can easily buy millions pf parts for those platforms from a hundred vendors, the sky's the limit. G54B parts come from literally a couple of vendors and forum group buys, if you're quick/patient and lucky.

View PostPtracy262, on 24 September 2018 - 09:38 PM, said:

That's awesome,  but again I'm staying true to the G54B as I have many dollars in it now.   But that freaking guy keeps talking K20,   I've you tubed that stuff,   bee in a jar?  but 11k rpm????
Again ,  why this post is Just BS,  or opinons are like b-holes,  eveyone's got one.

Pay no attention to the purists. It's 2018 and people are swapping all kinds of motors these days, the K series is a solid platform with tons of options. People should be honest, yes there's a handful of fast G54B's, but it's still a buzzy, non-revving motor prone to overheat. It's 1970's tech, and once you've done spending money to make real power you'll realize that same money could have funded a couple swaps. I've gone through half a dozen of them, I have a 1UZ in my car now looking to build a reliable Starion.

View PostPtracy262, on 26 September 2018 - 06:01 PM, said:

I think they sell those flares 2300.00,  the red one you see on youtube at the Hoonigan shop I think that's his company.  (if you google that,  that's a good one to check out)  I'm sure he was or still is a member here too

$2800 plus shipping, trust me I know I installed the LMS kit last year lol. We all know John here, he's a great dude.

Edited by Fuze, 03 October 2018 - 09:38 AM.

Insta = @battlemagnet

Posted Image

#19 Ptracy262

Ptracy262

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 04:51 PM

Send me a pic if you can of you LMS body adds,  either post or member email post me.  I'm ready to purchase kit, and john emailed me,  but thinking of other areas tire/rims (have to upgrade) and what does that mean to HP/Tq lag.
moving from 16 245/45 to a 18 315/30x11 ,  again my end build on a g54b will be 350-400hp. planning/dreaming.  (kit, plus new tire/rim package, plus paint/install hmmmm + 6k-8k???? sound about right???).

I guess what i'm asking overall, is going bigger tire/rims affect pull/fee/HP/TQ numbers or just better grip on the road.  In the end even with the engine build that look I'm going for is BAD ASK insert "S" agree/dis-agree

#20 jinx

jinx

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 02:50 AM

the K series is a solid platform with tons of options
Name them! Seriously, who needs that ?

Nothing to do with "purists".... more about making sensible choices
K20 'purist' recommend an $8000 swap, with a weak cheety tq curve, to move a street starquest. Ya... take that advice then.
sure it checks all the boxes that getcha all wet = peak hp + head flow + hi rev + new tech. End result still a pos

Not all swaps are 'expensive'. Nonsense

People should be honest, yes there's a handful of fast G54B's, but it's still a buzzy, non-revving motor prone to overheat. It's 1970's tech, and once you've done spending money to make real power you'll realize that same money could have funded a couple swaps. I've gone through half a dozen of them, I have a 1UZ in my car now looking to build a reliable Starion.
How many is a handful of 54s... and define fast ?
...and what u call "real power"?

If G54 were so unreliable.... who in their right mind would pump $1 into a MPI conversion ? Think... then look around
MPI conversions far outnumber swaps... while TBI trumps em all, @ What....10:1 at least? Yep, in 2018 still
Impossible for an "unreliable motor, prone to overheat". 54s would've all but dried up, years ago
your reality is just that... yours. The sheer numbers contradict your honesty
Maybe u roll harder than most... also, if the intent is to fly around some track as a wanabe racer, the 54 ain't the medicine imo

A buick GN 5psi brake stand launch, ET streets on asphalt, can lift a front tire, leaves pinning you ridiculously hard in the seat
You'd have to be insane to hold that pedal down on the street
That V6 checks none of the boxes; peak hp + crappy head flow + low rev(~5600 redline, worse than a 54) + 60s tech. So what ?
Smarter folks have gotten any of these old donks, to rip it up & stay together

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users