• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MattG

MattG

• Newbies
  • PipPipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 03:08 PM

Hello everyone, Iíve lurked on here off and on for years and recently just joined. The starquest has been among my favorite cars of all time since I was in high school (mid 90s.) Iíve owned a ton of cars but for some reason never a Conquest/Starion. I recently started looking, I had my eye on an 89 in California that ended up on bring a trailer and brought way more than I expected and way more than the seller had previously been asking so I turned my attention to the black 87 listed on here and unfortunately he already has a buyer lined up.

Iím not necessarily looking to purchase immediately, but sometime in the next couple months when the weather starts to get nice and I have time to prep my 1989 SHO for sale. I live in PA but I will travel for the right car and right deal. The biggest must have is the car must be a manual, I wonít consider an automatic. Color isnít super important, year isnít either although I prefer 87-up, I would consider an 86 as well but nothing earlier as I want a fatty. Stock, lower mileage the better, no rust either. If anyone knows of any or has any leads send me a message. Thank you.

#2 Speedy2222

Speedy2222

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 06 March 2019 - 10:10 PM

They're going up in value quickly, not sure if it's a bubble or here to stay but clean low mileage examples are bringing big money. This red one forsale right now on BAT.com seems like a really really good deal considering the silver one ( second line) just sold for the price it did in IMO, way way worse condition. what's your budget like for buying, and what are you planning on doing with the car?

( red 88,   40k miles)
https://bringatraile...lZ4L8lOBjK4l92o

(silver 89 ,   35k miles)
https://bringatraile...cJjYYoVsJM_8cvg

#3 twoshady

twoshady

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 10:23 PM

the undercarriage on the red one is insane.  not a fan of red or i would pull out the checkbook

#4 MattG

MattG

• Newbies
  • PipPipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 11:50 AM

I follow all the enthusiast sites closely, Iím familiar with the two BaT auctions. I fear the silver one artificially inflated the market, now that the red one is much much nicer bidders will feel they have to pay well above what the silver one brought.

Itís unfortunate for those who arenít trying to play a gambling game and just want the car to enjoy it. I remember last year a semi local dealer (Twin Pines) had a red 89 with 40k that looked absolutely mint and they wanted $19,999. Everybody thought they were nuts, including me, and I read on here somebody called and the car was at the owners house. They didnít really want to sell it so it was listed at an insane price. Now that price seems like a reasonable deal given these past two auctions. I love BaT, but itís having an effect on the market of cool and once affordable cars.

#5 MattG

MattG

• Newbies
  • PipPipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 11:53 AM

If you read my post youíll see Iíve wanted one for many many years. Iím looking for a nice one to use as a summer toy, Iím not a flipper looking to make a buck. I might have to wait it out until the market corrects after these two auctions, I would say itís a bubble as most of us wouldnít pay $20k for one...a lot of deep pockets on BaT.

Edited by MattG, 07 March 2019 - 11:55 AM.

#6 Jay40245

Jay40245

• Vendors
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:cars

Posted 08 March 2019 - 05:52 AM

https://www.facebook...083933208364386

#7 93 GSX TURBO

93 GSX TURBO

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 01:46 PM

I think your wrong about the prices being inflated.  If you look at the older Import market prices have gone up everywhere.  Low quantity of quality-low mileage cars equals highly sought after.  If you look at the last 4 or 5 public sales of under 50k mike conquest/starions they all went for 15k plus.  If your looking for something under $10k in great condition youll probably need to start looking at 90k-100k plus mile examples.   Just my two cents

Edited by 93 GSX TURBO, 08 March 2019 - 02:04 PM.

93 ECLIPSE GSX - S16G, VRSF FRONT MOUNT, APEXi TURBO BACK, RC750s, DSM  LINK V3, HKS 272s, CROWER VALVES-SPRINGS-RETAINERS, ARP'S, EIBACHS ON KYB'S,HALLMAN MBC

88 CONQUEST TSI - 5 SPEED SWAP, REBUILT 12A, TEP DOWNPIPE, 2.5'' TURBO BACK, PORTED TURBO MANIFOLD & EXHAUST HOUSING, GFB BOOST CONTROLLER

89 CONQUEST TSI SHP -5SPD, STOCK

2010 JETTA 2.5 - DD

2005 SEQUOIA SR5 -Family Mover

88 CONQUEST TSI- 5SPD, LEATHER, SUNROOF, STOCK ---  SOLD

89 CONQUEST TSI - 5SPD, STOCK --- SOLD

89 Conquest TSI SHP -White, 83k Miles, Tan-Black leather --- SOLD

88 CONQUEST TSI SHP - 5SPD, STOCK ---- SOLD

Posted Image

#8 MattG

MattG

• Newbies
  • PipPipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 02:48 PM

I never said I wanted to spend under $10k. There was a black one that just sold on here with 54k miles in superb condition for $11k, thatís correct market value. Of course an 88 or 89 will bring a premium, but the silver one on bat brought more than it was worth given the condition. For $20k it would have to be one of the best ones remaining, most other ones on bat in really nice but not impeccable shape and with pretty reasonable miles were pulling under $10k.

#9 93 GSX TURBO

93 GSX TURBO

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 04:24 PM

Check the dates on those old BAT & eBay ads.  Going back to the same point that finding great condition conquest and starions is only getting harder so they are appreciating in value.  If you can find one with 50k miles for around10k jump all over it because now what they are actually worth has finally caught on.

The market has finally spoken and the last two years at least 5 public sales of low mileage ones went for 15k dollar plus sales has dictated that these cars are no longer budget tuner cars.  Those are facts and not an opinion.

Edited by 93 GSX TURBO, 13 March 2019 - 04:35 PM.

93 ECLIPSE GSX - S16G, VRSF FRONT MOUNT, APEXi TURBO BACK, RC750s, DSM  LINK V3, HKS 272s, CROWER VALVES-SPRINGS-RETAINERS, ARP'S, EIBACHS ON KYB'S,HALLMAN MBC

88 CONQUEST TSI - 5 SPEED SWAP, REBUILT 12A, TEP DOWNPIPE, 2.5'' TURBO BACK, PORTED TURBO MANIFOLD & EXHAUST HOUSING, GFB BOOST CONTROLLER

89 CONQUEST TSI SHP -5SPD, STOCK

2010 JETTA 2.5 - DD

2005 SEQUOIA SR5 -Family Mover

88 CONQUEST TSI- 5SPD, LEATHER, SUNROOF, STOCK ---  SOLD

89 CONQUEST TSI - 5SPD, STOCK --- SOLD

89 Conquest TSI SHP -White, 83k Miles, Tan-Black leather --- SOLD

88 CONQUEST TSI SHP - 5SPD, STOCK ---- SOLD

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users