1989 Chrysler Conquest TSi

mbruneaux

Goal: A quick, great handling and comfortable GT car that I can track day and maybe autocross. I wanted a manual transmission, 4 wheel Disc brakes and 4 wheel independent suspension, leather interior in a relatively light and inexpensive package. And it had to look good.

History: Bought the Conquest about 18 months ago from a guy who had done a ton of work on it but it still didn’t run or drive right. Tires were flat and it ran like crap, it was cold and snowy so I didn’t get a good look underneath. A few owners ago had done body work on the nose to make it look like a Supra or something and changed the color to Black from Red. Until this spring I didn’t have a garage or a lot of time to work on it so I collected a ton of parts along with a ton of spares I got from the PO. I think I have sold the car twice since but backed out, not out of lack of interest but frustration with lack of time. It’s really been a conflict with everything else going on. Both of our daily drivers are older and high mileage so they almost always need something.

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae322/mbruneaux/Conquest/nosephoto4smaller_zpsa9a80c6e.jpg

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae322/mbruneaux/Conquest/nosephoto3smaller_zpsb0554192.jpg

Currently: With the garage I can make time to attack the Conquest much more often and repairs are much quicker. I am in the process of installing all the parts I have been purchasing and getting it running correctly. All maintenance is being done as well as a lot of seals and gaskets.

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae322/mbruneaux/Conquest/Garage%203_zpsyvsrpscm.jpg

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae322/mbruneaux/Conquest/Conquest%20with%208s%20smaller_zps7ufara32.jpg

Future plans: It will be a long journey but I bought it for that, I have two sons that are 12 and 9 and would like them to work on it also but my 9 year old just wants to sit behind the wheel and pretend he’s Sebastian Vettel with a 5 speed. I should have all the parts installed by the end of the summer and maybe start the body work this winter, I would like to have something nice enough to go to car shows. The rarity would be a big draw but it has to be nice. I want to keep the A/C and everything else, it would be simpler to ditch it all but I want to be comfortable.

I would be really happy with 250 to 300 reliable horsepower. I plan on learning to tune it once everything is up to date to squeeze horsepower safely. MPI might be in the cards a few years from now but I’m not focusing on that right now.

I have been on the Starquest sites for a four or five years but I’m always learning something new. My wrenching experience is 15 years old and on digital ignition GM and lately Land Rover. I love the simplicity of the design and can’t get over how small the car is. I had contemplated getting another Trans Am instead but am very happy with my decision to get a Conquest.

I need to take more pictures for the log book and documentation.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a solid plan.

Make sure radiator is up to par.

Make sure fans flow good and are strong.

The heads are known to crack. So be sure fuel and injectors are functioning properly. And coolant is flowing nice through the radiator.

It's running now well enough to let it idle and check the fans, I have a UEGO I need to install to watch the A/F for lean. One of the original running issues was a primary injector stuck open dumping fuel so I replaced them with a known good set but then I thought I was having issues with those, they are 25 years old. I bought a set FIC injectors and adaptors and while waiting for those I took another look at the newer clips and found a fault. So now I have a backup set of injectors.

It has a new non-JV head with mechanical valve-train but I'm getting blue smoke at idle. The PO rebuild the engine and turbo but I plan on replacing the chains and BSE kit for piece of mind.

Took two days off to install all four calipers, parking brake cables, SS brake hoses and improve the way it runs only to find they send me two left hand front calipers and a right rear that doesn't belong on the car. So I cut and split wood this afternoon instead of driving it for the first time in months. Edited by mbruneaux

oh man, thats never any fun. Well good luck getting it back on the road and buttoned up. I know it sucks when the car is down and your not flying down a road somewhere. Edited by speedyquest

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae322/mbruneaux/Conquest%20left%20rear_zps3gbhcamj.jpg It was dark and camera was too low. Drove it to the, as we say here in New England, package store, I have my priorities straight.

It's alive! It drives so much better with brakes and tires! Next is the steering, the PO but PS fluid instead of ATF and I have the steering coupler upgrade to install. Also,

1, I'm only getting about 7psi boost but I think it has to do with the vacuum lines on the actuator. I have a Manual boost valve I need to install.

2. steering wheel isn't centered but that is an easy fix

3. Drivers seat doesn't feel level, there are several huge dents under the car but I think I can pound most of them out.

4. All but fuel gauge seem to work. I will have to put more fuel in this weekend to test it.

I also realized all three of our cars require premium fuel, one is a V8 and two are Boosted! We are a High Performance family.

Edited by mbruneaux

It will be a while before anything major but after doing some research I plan on keeping the silence shafts. I plan on this being my daily driver and with GNT mounts on everything I wonder if the vibration, if I had any, would drive me nuts on the 90 mile per day commute.

• 4 weeks later...

FINALLY received the Right front caliper and installed it. I had to order four times to get the "right" one instead of a "left" one in the box. I think my next priority is front end bushings, I noticed my sway bar bushing is missing and it dives hard to the right when breaking. I need to bleed everything again also. I might just replace the master cylinder, complete the ABS delete, proportioning valve and flush everything at once.

The paint and body work reminds me of the Original Mad Max movie so I think I will nickname it "the interceptor" If only it was as fast!

Re-installed the FIC injectors and LSP MBV and it runs so much better, needs a battery tray and a new battery then I can attack the front end probably in October......... :(

Ordered a new battery tray.

Edited by mbruneaux

• 4 weeks later...
Installed the battery tray and figured out he battery is too big to properly fasten down and hooked up the vacuum line for the HVAC and it all works! Started flushing the power steering fluid from the power steering. Found the oil pressure wire broken.

Pulled the rotors to have them resurfaced, I found a local place that will do them for $10 each if I drop them off. They look pretty meaty so I think I can use them without a problem, new ones are cheap enough if they are too thin. I am always amazed at how well things come apart on this car for sitting and untouched for so long. I will be picking up a new Interstate battery tomorrow and I'm bringing my spare battery tray to make sure it fits.

The wife took the four children to Six Flags for the day. I could do things I should do like train or cut and split wood but I decided to work on the Conquest, after I bought dinner.

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae322/mbruneaux/Dinner%20smaller_zpspnggc8rt.jpg

Now, I'm no lush, and gluttony is a sin so I only ate a few pieces of pizza. I really didn't need to get something to eat for dinner because Guinness is a meal and Guinness builds strength! That's why I didn't have to train .

I installed the rotors, installed the new Interstate battery and hold down, new flasher (didn't help), replaced the front sway bar links in anticipation of my GNT delivery tomorrow, and bleed the brakes again getting all the old fluid out.

And my temporary coolant overflow....

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae322/mbruneaux/Coolant%20overflow%20smaller_zpsqcbrdxa4.jpg

Edited by mbruneaux

Installed the GNT sway bar bushings and drove her a few miles, what a huge difference having a front sway bar that's mounted to the car! One of the old bushings was gone completely and the other was on it's way. There is still something amiss with the ignition. I'm going to start from scratch checking the TPS calibration, leak down test and all the other potentially faulty parts.

Got my first speed sticker, it's work at least 2 or 3 MPH top end.

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae322/mbruneaux/Speed%20sticker_zpspzupvbe7.jpg

This will take a while as I have little time to commit to it. As probably most people who buy 25 year old used cars I am finding more and more that needs to be done. But it will be worth it in the end. It will not be a show car for quite some time if ever. It WILL be a great driving car. Edited by mbruneaux

So, I did something unorthodox and some would say ground breaking, read the installation instructions for the Uego. I don't need the O2 sensor once I install the UEGO because it has a feed from the sensor itself. Thank you scott87star for pointing that out. I'm selling the 2.5" dual bung downpipe I bought to run the UEGO and will use those funds to buy some of the 3" exhaust pieces I should have waited to buy anyway. The UEGO will be 36" down from the turbo.

Dug through my pile of parts and found that my spare hot side has a bigger crack than the one one the car. Should I replace it or just get a bigger bolt on turbo, (14C)? I could port the manifold and I am upgrading to a 3" exhaust anyway.

Also found a crack in one of my spare exhaust manifolds, I do have one good one although I'm jealous of speedyquest and his new upgrade.

Edited by mbruneaux