400+HP Dyno Run

MotoCam360

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done vid. Why do you say bad headgasket / cracked head? Was there a leak? I had this happen during my 350+hp dyno where the coolant overflow tank got pressurized by slight leak in headgasket.

Either way, great work so far on relatively low boost. What turbo & EMS is running here?

Well done vid. Why do you say bad headgasket / cracked head? Was there a leak? I had this happen during my 350+hp dyno where the coolant overflow tank got pressurized by slight leak in headgasket.

Either way, great work so far on relatively low boost. What turbo & EMS is running here?

Blown head gasket in the #3 cylinder. Cracked head between the valve seats in the #2 cylinder. GT35R turbo and AEM EMS.

Beautiful! I hope to make a vid of mine soon. Just waiting for my trany swap to be ready. How do you like the turbo? I'm planning on doing something similar.

Tae

what are the pros and cons of going EDIS compared to keeping it with a dist.

I've been thinking about going that route with the Ford EDIS that is sold and supported by Emerald (ECU). I know I'll have complete control over my spark, but is it worth the money and installation?

Very nice! Good job! What kind of spool up do you have? The graph looks like don't really get full boost till 5200rpm or so. Is their controled to do that (possibly for traction)or just poor spool up?

That's sick for 16 psi. LOL

Nice car!

Don't forget 16# is not the same CFM between turbos @ 16#'s a 12A might struggle to hit IDK (could figure it out but this is just a guess) 220-250CFM. Where as a large turbo @ 16#'s might flow 600, 7, 800 CFM. It's not just about the #'s of boost but the volume of air it can flow.

so thats where ivans car went. what trans did you put in there?

You must know the car? I got it with no transmission. I put the same set up he had in it before he decided to go to an automatic but never did. T56 transmission,chads adapter plate and the SPEC STAGE 3+ clutch. Got it all back together and the dyno run posted above shows the results with the T56 with a 4.22 rear end. The guy tuning the car is a AEM certified tuner. He was building the map slowly adding boost and fuel in the right places. After the 405whp run he said it developed a hesitation. He shut it down and pulled the spark plugs. The #3 spark plug has a water droplet on the spark plug. Trailered it home removed the head and the head gasket was blown in the #3 cylinder and starting to blow in the #2. took the head to the machine shop and the head was cracked in the #2 cylinder between the valve seats. I wanted to put the best cylinder head that I could so I contacted kelly and he recommended the CNC ported head that he sold awhile back. Just so happened he knew someone who had on I could buy. Thanks Papermaker!! So he overnighted me the head and I assembled it and put in on the car. Changed all fluids and took it out for the day. This car is fun to drive!! Even though the map was good for 20psi and 405whp I decided to only boost it to 10 pounds. My thoughts were that if this head flowed better there would be more air and not enough fuel. so I didnt want to lean the car out. especially after putting a 1500 dollar head on it. Even at 10psi the tires were spinning from 1 thru 3rd gear. Thanks to kelly and papermaker I was back on the road in less than a week. We were back on the dyno exactly a week after I trailered it home from the dyno. The tuner gets to work building the map. The horsepower keeps going up. Until at 25psi and 458whp the SPEC stage 3+ clutch explodes shredding the bellhousing. Really lucky no one was hurt. Back on the trailer.Thanks Brett for the use of the trailer. I contacted Horsepowerfreaks who I purchased the clutch from and his reply was"why am I not surprised" when I asked him what he meant by that he said " In the last 6 months they have had an abnormal amount of people call with the same problem" A claim has been filed and hopefully they will give me my 620.00 back. So a new bell housing is on the way and im researching on what clutch to buy. Also, the custom fidanza fly wheel is a little beat up so hopefully I will be able to re-use it.Even though this is a little discouraging and my motivation level is a lot lower than it was 4 weeks ago I've decided to give it one more try. Thanks to Tim at MOTO CAM 360 round 2 video of the dyno run will be edited and posted for your viewing pleasure. He even has footage of the clutch explosion. hopefully after round 3 on the dyno I will be able to actually drive the car home.

Now with the new owner we can see it getting some run time. Not collecting dust. Good to see your doing something with it. Lets kick some 2JZ beep!

4cylFury. You got any ideas on what clutch I should try next? Want something streetable. Althought I will take this car to the track its really mainly gonna be a street car.

^^Pretty impressive story there. I'd definitely stay away from spec clutches, not the first catastrophic failure I've heard of. I personally recommend clutchnet but don't have experience with how they perform on the SQ--I'll be getting a stage 4 or 5 for mine once my stage 2 or 3 starts slipping.

If you need a conversion fidanza flywheel, I have one brand new in box. I can run it over and have Kelly ship it out to you.

Thats funny you posted this because I just posted in the WTB section to see if anyone has one for sale. Do you know if you have a 1st run or 2nd run fidanza? ill also send you a PM.

^^Pretty impressive story there. I'd definitely stay away from spec clutches, not the first catastrophic failure I've heard of. I personally recommend clutchnet but don't have experience with how they perform on the SQ--I'll be getting a stage 4 or 5 for mine once my stage 2 or 3 starts slipping.

I would'nt need to know how they perform on a conquest. I would need to know how they perform on a LT1 T56 camaro.