#61 CaptainSlow

CaptainSlow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Interests:Stuff
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 03 May 2018 - 08:42 PM

Bit of an update. Not that much going on.

Since I've determined spark is a non-issue, I'm chasing fueling issues. It's likely everything is crudded up due to how nasty the tank was when I refurbed it, and there never being an in-tank filter.

First I decided to replace the injector clips, mainly because they were cheap, and likely needed to be replaced anyway. Wasn't expecting a real fix and never got one. Pics anyway -

Definitely need to be soldered instead, but this'll do for the time being.
Posted Image

These were the old ones. Not factory but not new by any means either. They were wired in beautifully as with everything else on this car.
Posted Image

Next I ran and picked up a generic Wix fuel filter. Was able to get it locally, otherwise I would have ordered an OEM one. It's the same kind that was on the car already so I doubt it'll be a problem.

Needless to say it needed a change.

This was only tapping it a couple times on the concrete. Didn't keep trying to clean it out for fear of staining the driveway lol.
Posted Image

New filter in
Posted Image

As necessary as that was, it didn't really help with the issue at hand. The FPR was still showing extremely low pressure, and almost zero when the car warmed up. It was still running with the gauge resting at 0 so I'm not sure if the pump or the FPR is bad.
I'm leaning towards the pump, at least at first, since it's probably terribly gunked up just like the filter was, and it'll be cheaper to replace than getting a new rising rate FPR. That'll likely happen in the near future, but I gotta take this one step at a time.

Well, at least the car is running. Not happily, but running. So I didn't totally screw it up yet.

Side note - I may or may not be having to trade in the daily (Golf R) due to financial reasons, but if I do hopefully it would finally allow a little bit more money to flow into this project. That's been the main thing slowing progress as of late. I won't bother trying to sell the Conquest, I WAY overpaid for it when I got it, and in the condition it's in, I won't be able to make most of that money back. As they say, hindsight is 20/20, but I still love this thing.

<_<
'17 Golf R Daily :: '87 Conquest Racekar
@TheRealCaptainSlow

#62 CaptainSlow

CaptainSlow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 06:02 PM

Took her to a show and got at least 1 decent picture.

Posted Image

And that's about it. I'm waiting on a fuel pump while the car continues to be a moody b!tch. Same as always.

:excl:
@TheRealCaptainSlow

#63 tsi_tom

tsi_tom

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,219 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 06:32 PM

What I would have done is to run the fuel pump with the test connector and see if any junk comes out and how fast the gas is coming out when you had the fuel filter off.
Engine
20 over forged pistons
Stock injection system

My restoration project: The Missouri Project

#64 CaptainSlow

CaptainSlow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 09:40 PM

Haven't updated this much but I have been working on the car quite a bit. Sadly to no avail.

I was chasing fueling issues for a while and only after wasting money on that fuel pump (among other things) I realize the regulator was only way out of adjustment.

However, after figuring out the fuel pressure issue, a new (worse) problem showed up. Any time the car hits boost it cuts out HARD and won't rev over 3k. Take a look at this video.

Since that's right when the secondary injector is supposed to kick in, I took out the injectors and had them serviced. That was easy and cheap enough and they are working great now, however it didn't fix my issue. I confirmed both injectors are working by switching the plugs and it ran.

Looks like it's not an injector issue. But this is pretty much the point where my knowledge stops. Only thing I can think of left to test is the coolant temp sensor.

I hate to do it but at this point I may just give in a take it to somebody. I think I need a second set of eyes looking at it and I'm getting burnt out on trying to fix it myself. I honestly expected to be able to drive this car more but it is a project, after all.

As usual, and and all suggestions or help is appreciated greatly.

:wacko:

Edited by CaptainSlow, 15 June 2018 - 09:41 PM.

@TheRealCaptainSlow

#65 croquest87

croquest87

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 856 posts
  • Interests:all things mechanical

Posted 15 June 2018 - 10:34 PM

If you have a fuel gage on your car? Watch it as you rev to the max let me know if that pressure drops?

Edited by croquest87, 15 June 2018 - 10:39 PM.

#66 CaptainSlow

CaptainSlow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 10:39 PM

View Postcroquest87, on 15 June 2018 - 10:34 PM, said:

If you have a fuel gage on your car? Watch it as you rev your car from idle to max see if your fuel pressure is dropping. Fuel filter in that picture is telling me you have rust in that tank! Maybe it's clogged again and also has contaminated everything else.

I do, but it's in the engine bay and hard to test that with any actual load on the motor. As far as the tank, I've already thoroughly cleaned it, the filter was just the same one from before.
@TheRealCaptainSlow

#67 croquest87

croquest87

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 856 posts
  • Interests:all things mechanical

Posted 15 June 2018 - 10:41 PM

Pmd you

#68 Preludedude

Preludedude

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 06:46 AM

May be the vacuum advance on the dizzy.  If it doesn't work, it won't adjust timing correctly under boost and it will buck and kick when trying to boost

See if it will hold vacuum.  Suck on the vacuum hose and see if it will stick to your tongue. If it doesn't, you need a new one.   Part # VC-269

#69 CaptainSlow

CaptainSlow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 11:13 AM

View PostPreludedude, on 16 June 2018 - 06:46 AM, said:

May be the vacuum advance on the dizzy.  If it doesn't work, it won't adjust timing correctly under boost and it will buck and kick when trying to boost

See if it will hold vacuum.  Suck on the vacuum hose and see if it will stick to your tongue. If it doesn't, you need a new one.   Part # VC-269

You know what, I tried that on the hose going to the regulator and there wasn't any resistance. Its felt like it was pushing air at idle and I could easily suck back on it. Think that could be it?
@TheRealCaptainSlow

#70 Preludedude

Preludedude

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 06:03 PM

If you were sucking on the hose that goes to the vacuum advance and there wasn't resistance, then the advance is bad and needs to be replaced

It should hold suction and not bleed away which is why it should stick to your tongue and stay there.

Edited by Preludedude, 16 June 2018 - 06:03 PM.

#71 CaptainSlow

CaptainSlow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 06:43 PM

View PostPreludedude, on 16 June 2018 - 06:03 PM, said:

If you were sucking on the hose that goes to the vacuum advance and there wasn't resistance, then the advance is bad and needs to be replaced

It should hold suction and not bleed away which is why it should stick to your tongue and stay there.

I take it back. I sucked on the line from the vac advance itself and it held vacuum. The line at the fpr pulls vac with throttle. Seems like that's ok to me
@TheRealCaptainSlow

#72 Xtreme Industries

Xtreme Industries

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  • Interests:cars

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:38 PM

do you have the stock exhaust on it? I have read in the past that a plugged cat can cause issues with reving past 3000.
2010 Camaro RS - long tube headers, intake isolator, injen intake, ported throtle body, eibach lowering springs, eibach sway bars, pypes cat back exhaust, rx catch can, transformers decals.
1987 Conquest TSI, 5 spd, B71- 3" *DM Exhaust, Hooker ACM, Hood Struts, Taylor wires, silicone vac lines, fidanza, ACT Extreme, MK1 hard pipes, mbc (13psi), MK1 Shifter, MK1 steering wheel, silicone rad hoses, shp wheels - RIP
1991 BMW 318i - RIP

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users