#21 Funky Phil

Funky Phil

Super Pooper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,446 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 28 December 2018 - 04:12 AM

It could be you afraid of being struck with reality on the dyno...

Edited by Funky Phil, 28 December 2018 - 04:12 AM.

10.95@120mph  https://m.youtube.co...h?v=8Q01UKt5q4U
Built G54B, S364, R154, stock 6-bolt, fireballs

#22 Preludedude

Preludedude

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,167 posts

Posted 28 December 2018 - 06:02 AM

View PostFunky Phil, on 28 December 2018 - 04:12 AM, said:

It could be you afraid of being struck with reality on the dyno...

Boom! Reality check :)   I keep reading about this "beast" and no dyno numbers yet.....

#23 SSG_CARTER

SSG_CARTER

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Interests:Fast cars bikes and speed.

Posted 28 December 2018 - 06:41 AM

I believe youíre right. Torque is there HP ummm not so sure. Itíll probably pop  on the the dyno. Iím ok with not making the big number. Iím still trying to learn about all the timing and fuel maps. Read the manual front to back and thereís always something there Iíve missed. I get it , get a tuner. Roger that working on it . Maybe iíll Do a go fund me and get a professional tune and dyno lol. Until then I rarely venture more than half mile from the house. All of you are right though. Reality sucks.

#24 Turbo Cary

Turbo Cary

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 28 December 2018 - 01:11 PM

Making big numbers isn't as important as drivability and efficiency. If you make 250-300 wheel horsepower, get good fuel economy, and hardly break down then consider it a success.

Chances are you'll make 50 to 100 more torque than horsepower anyways with a G54B engine. That is how it always seemed to me every time I ran mine on a dyno. Also some dyno machines read differently than others.

#25 Funky Phil

Funky Phil

Super Pooper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,446 posts

Posted 29 December 2018 - 12:30 AM

Yeah im just messin with ya
10.95@120mph  https://m.youtube.co...h?v=8Q01UKt5q4U
Built G54B, S364, R154, stock 6-bolt, fireballs

#26 SSG_CARTER

SSG_CARTER

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 29 December 2018 - 08:13 AM

Haha you are right though, I will get this done, Praying for no boom and checking and double checking. Its still the most fun for a car i have ever had. i got rid of my CBR100rr and modded 07 Mustang GT because of this car. It's just that fast and fun to me. i read every post about me and love it. I am the kind of person that needs this constructive criticism. Again thank you all please continue, and I truly believe its making more than i think. The dyno will tell the truth. i Just Love the TORQUE Hahaha.

#27 jinx

jinx

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts
  • Interests:I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Posted 30 December 2018 - 04:08 AM

overwhelming majority of G54 dynos show that characteristic torque nosedive, resulting in a higher peak tq number than hp
A handful of setups has proven that u can keep the natural strong early tq swell and fight off the nosedive = higher hp
Cam grind and valvespring quality + cam timimg, seems to unlock that path to 500hp/500tq... and beyond, like Funky has iirc.
The 'standouts' posted some very interesting camshaft details
Quest tsi/Chris Viper, Tainter, Bluecook?/his dad vs Schnieder, the blue EIP(stock cam) and the red car, Rollo, etc.
Unlikely to get there with an off the shelf schnieder & springs... from my observations
I think 88white hp/tq was up there, from way back in the day. He ran whatever cam TEP offered + an old t3/T04B turbo

#28 SSG_CARTER

SSG_CARTER

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 30 December 2018 - 02:17 PM

Iíve had help along the way and I am appreciative. My cam timing could be off as well as the locked distributor and or the software timing. Itís like Phil said ď basing my results on something I have no knowledge ofĒ that got me to reading more and the more I check I realize itís the small things that seem to add up to better drive ability and power. I still err on the side of rich and change oil regularly. And run premium + race, car isnít driven over 15 miles on any given time haha. All I need is the every so often blast down the block so to speak and highway jount to keep me happy. I feel if I ever learned to launch this thing I would be paying dearly for a tranny and axles. Goal is 120mph in a 1/4mile. To me thatís the ultimate street beast. 400+ Hp and tq, or bust . Not literally guys but itís going to be nice.

#29 Woody

Woody

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:Starions

Posted 30 December 2018 - 09:15 PM

I'm running a GT35 turbo with a smaller exhaust housing so it spools up quicker. Magna MPI with 660cc injectors and VL turbo fuel pump. Had it tuned by a mob and it came back running really rough, wouldn't idle and kept surging and leaning out in normal driving. Discovered the #1 lead was shorting out on the AC. Also found the BOV was almost falling off. Tune was way off and spark plugs were badly fowled up. All this aside, the dyno was at 250hp.

Since then, I fixed the shorting lead, now run individual LS3 coils, secured the BOV, changed the ECU out for a Haltech E8 instead of the E6K. Retuned the entire thing myself and the thing flys now. Idles perfectly, more fuel economic and scares the crap out of me. Stock motor and only 15psi. I am not pushing it past that point until I build my second motor.

For now, my car runs at most 15psi (I hardly reach that on the streets). I lose traction all the time, it runs perfectly and is a beast on the street and runs reliably. Dial back your boost and check ALL of the fundamentals like Phil mentioned. I am probably more likely around the 300hp mark now, but I wouldn't care if it's only 250. It feels great and I'm more than happy with it. Aim for it staying on the road.
www.sweetfrostings.com.au

#30 SSG_CARTER

SSG_CARTER

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 30 December 2018 - 10:17 PM

Thanks Woody . How do you like the E8 in comparison to the E6k ? Tunability lots better? Thatís turbo is a little larger than the 25g. I am with you all on turning boost down till I get a tuner. Sounds like you have a nice quest. That K for sale?

#31 Woody

Woody

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 07:46 AM

The E8 was like day and night. I was lucky and was able to get one for the cost I could sell mine for. So it was basically a free swap. I wired it all up myself and tuned it myself so saved heaps there.

The E8 allows for full 3D map tuning and a HEAP of other settings. The E6K map when I imported it into the E8 had all the same issues including stalling when coming to an idle randomly. I was able to easily identify and fix the issues with the E8 because you can visualise it better in 3D. You can see where the map isn't smooth etc. Plus you can see where you are on the map in real time so much easier. It isn't as good as VE tuning like in the new Haltechs or the MegaSquirt. But I would never go back to an E6K.

Yeah the turbo is huge, but the small exhaust housing makes it really good. Comes on full boost around 3500k-4000k. I'm trying to make the car nice. I made the mistake of chasing too much power instead of drive ability because I was planning on racing it. But now I'm racing Go Karts which is cheaper so building this one to be quick that I can track now and then, and just enjoy.

#32 SSG_CARTER

SSG_CARTER

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 09:48 PM

I have a e6x which I believe is one step up. Once I get a handle on this 6k then I guess I will move on to it or just work on the wiring the other quest with it , who knows. I just want a nice strong well running car at this point. Strong is the operative work . That sounds like it a torque monster you got there.

#33 Woody

Woody

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 07:50 AM

Apparently you can plug the E6x into the E6K loom. You just need to change 1 or 2 wires over on the main plug. I think it's basically the same, only you can tune in 3D. You still can't really run 4 direct coils and 4 injectors. It's still 4 injectors and 1 ignition. (5 outputs). So you could run batched injectors 1&3, 2&4 and do similar for ignition...

#34 SSG_CARTER

SSG_CARTER

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 03:29 PM

Roger that. I think once I get the tuning down I will poney up the money for the E8. I drove today and Iím in love with my car lol. 1st boost blows tires off. 2nd boost blows tires off 3rd shocking blows tires off. At this point if it makes 300 horse and 400 tqu Iím happy.

#35 TopDawg_43

TopDawg_43

Ignorant Know-It-All

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,267 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 03:32 PM

Well well well...

Floating around the boards and I found this.  Good to see the car I that I built and stayed with me longer then my first wife is still shredding tires.  Sgt, I haven't heard from you in a while, but I knew you'd keep going, but I didn't expect this.  Keep up the good work and let the Loud-N-Proud Quest live on.  Or did you change out the gauge cluster (removing my name) as well?......lol

Wanna Race?
https://www.youtube....h?v=od5YY6hvQjY
Posted Image

Hated by many, Loved by few, Respected by ALL!!
When we do right nobody remembers, When we do wrong nobody forgets.

#36 SSG_CARTER

SSG_CARTER

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 09:54 AM

Well well Ď just saw this . That Monster is ridiculous 604 on pump? Nah Iím good for now. Tore the motor down after I lifted the head. I know I know it was bound to happen with that much boost . Thought I spun a bearing or head gasket let go but it was a lifted head. Put another head on from my other car and changed over the cam. Decided Iím going to go with the fidanza as well for even faster revving and boost onset. In need of a set of 850-1000cc injs. Good to see you trolling brother come on back . I got one for you to work on. Lol 😂

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users