Boost guage in stock location?

Jody1

Trying to mount an autometer boost guage in stock location, but the guage is to deep. The only active write-up I can find is the TEP one, and the pics are to blurry.

Not sure about puncturing the circuit board, etc.

Any link with photos would be great.

Thanks

Bore a hole the size of the provided fitting through the plastic backing(Not the circuit board). It is soft

Grind the 2 little threaded rods down/off

Fit that up and it will be obvious.

You can cut the clear part of the plastic circuit board.

Edited by lionbull

What would you bore through the plastic with?

I guess you have to remove the circuit board before boring?

What do you cut the circuit board with?

I remember reading a long time members post on this topic, with photos, but I haven't been able to find it. It seemed as though there were a few finer points to consider. Especially for an amateur.

Thanks lionbull

it will be a rough cut if you dont take out the circuit board.

If i was not in a hurry when i did mine i would have removed the board and done it alot nicer. I am alot more patient these days

Take your time and remove the board and use a step drill to make a nice circular hole in the plastic backing(not the circuit board).

You will notice a gap in the board where you drill. Take a razor blade and cut the plastic carefully.

As you start doing this you will get comfortable. it is not a hard mod. You took art and crafts?

The gauge should be 2 1/16 btw

Edited by lionbull

I think home economics was right after, so arts and crafts never stuck. Lol.

Removing that circuit board looks like a bear but it is what it is.

Thanks.

If there were any pics, that would be great.

It was Indiana who had posted the thread I was referring to but his pic hosting has expired.

looking at the back of the gauge, there is a blue connector, bottom left. look for a black yellow and a green white wire.

The BY is a variable ground and the GW is your positive.

I have a spare cluster picks pending

Edited by lionbull

option 1 stuff both wires in a bulb socket.

option 2 ground wire on boost gauge bulb spliced into BY wire and positive boost gauge bulb wire in GW wire

the circuit board is not hard to remove. just take your time

fit up thd gauge befor you remove thr circuit board. you may be able to use a razor blade right where the clear plastic is, and save time, instead of removing the board.

Edited by lionbull

Thanks Lionbull.

Since I got this cluster drug out.....are the 8? Big bulbs, and the 8? Smaller bulbs? Generally available at local stores?

May change them.

I appreciate you walking me through this.

I catch myself thinking about screwing up the electronics and what would be involved in replacing them and I start to shake.lol.

Looked up a UCW post on dashboard light bulbs. His post was accurate for me.

Big bulbs are 158's or 194's for more wattage.

74 for the small.

Approx $2 per light if you buy the packs in the front of the store.

Approx $2 per 10 lights if you buy the packs for mechanics in the back of the store.

The LED option sounded appealing but I didn't try it for fear of shortened longevity. Once again, the thought of having to mess with this old circuit board frequently, outweighed the value of LED lights. My decision was based entirely on secondhand info. though, and the LED's may work fabulously.

The LED option sounded appealing but I didn't try it for fear of shortened longevity.

?? LED's last forever, that is one of the selling points besides the almost perfect efficiency. You'd never have to change a bulb again.

Man there's some nice led lit clusters on that thread link Jody.

There was a guy about 5 years ago putting led lights in the ac controls.

I payed him to do mine. I'd do my own if I was gonna customize my dash and ac controls now though.

I'll be putting a boost gauge in stock location in the next week or so..I'll take a lot of pics and maybe share.

Did the original.thread maker guy here ever get the gauge installed?

No doubt. The clusters look awesome.

I stopped short of the LEDs though. If I were prepared to condition the voltage on the printed circuit board I'd do it.

But I don't want to solely put LEDs in the sockets and call it done right now. If could operate a soldering iron with any precision life would be easier. Lol.

As far as putting in the aftermarket boost guage- no, I haven't installed one yet. I've got an autometer boost guage now, but it is just too big for my liking, due to space constraints in the dash. Looking into lower profile guages right now.

I've got it figured out though-finally. Many thanks to Lionbull. Trying to be extra careful with the dash circuitry.