Electromotive TEC tips and tricks

I know there are a few of us here who are using these. I think we should pull our resource together to be able to get the most out of these things so I thought I start a thread on it.

any tips you guys want to share? anyone using an air mass sensor with it? I heard there is a 2nd generation mag. pickup sensor which is more reliable, any info on this?

willl the "bolt-on Eclipse Trigger Wheel" fit our car? I have the wheel installed but I want to get the non-AC crank pully so i have to remount the trigger wheel.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The main thing is that its centered with very little run out.  As long as the wheel has the proper number of teeth, I don't think it matters what its from.

• 2 months later...

Heefner, have you thought about seperating the coils from the computer and mounting the TEC in the interior?

by the way, no one at electromotive with say if its ok to do this or if it has been done before. its stupid, its just a couple of wires for a coil, what can possible happen? i guess we will find out.

plus I am also getting some GM metripak connectors to connect to the TEC and seal the TEC computer so i dont have to mess with the crappy plastic ends. this thing is way to sensative to water and I dont want the car to get stuck(it has happened before)

Hey art, you know a good source for those GM connectors?  I'm going to need a bunch of connectors for under hood and want something weather proof.  Also, do those require a special crimping tool?  Hope I don't pull your thread too off topic.  Thanks.

Josh

Art, thats the way the Tec III is configured, the brain is mounted inside and the coils of course are out under the hood.  I just sealed my connections up with some silicone but I agree its a pretty poor choice for connectors.  <Knock on wood> I haven`t had any electrical problem with the Tec yet.  I take that back I did have a pickup short out on me which caused me to scratch my head along side of the road for a while.  

• 5 months later...

guys, I rewired my TECII over the weekend. I removed the coils from the brain and installed them where the original knock box is and installed the brain in the glovebox.

took many hours to finish and make all the connections bulletproof.

I have yet to do the final wiring for the injectors. i have something now but its more for practicality than looks.

i have a questions. mine is now wired so it fires the two outside injectors and then the two center injectors and it works fine. but looking at the TEC diagram it shows to wire two injectors next to each other so the 1st pair fire, then the 2nd pair. how do you guys have yours?

• 2 weeks later...

ya some of these newer computers dont come with one. first make sure the cable is good and if possible test it with another computer.

then i would say either get an old laptop or upgrade your tec software. i bought my upgrade over a month ago but i will probably instal it next week.

also call them to see if they have any suggestions, they may know of a way of getting the converter to work.

I called Electromotive and they basically said, Sorry just keep trying to get something to work.

I don't think they will set up for a USB connection for a long time as from what I've read, puting a USB cabability into a device like the TEC3 requires a lot of code as compared to a serial port.

I believe that the DOS version bypasses the OS and goes straight to the hardware which would explain why the converter won't work. I was hoping that by upgrading to the WinTec Bios and software that it will go through the OS and then be able to work with the converter.

If anyone could test this I would really appreciate it.

Thanx, Dave.

Negative Dave,

I went through the same crap.  The only thing you get from Win tec is a "windows" based program rather than DOS and a few tune on the fly parameters.  It has a nice graphical display for the advance and VE tables also.  The only way you will be able t get it to work is with a windows 98 or earlier notebook and ture  9 or 25 pin serial port.  Last spring I had to buy a used laptop off of ebay just to use for the Tec.  

i just got off the phone with them on a different subject.

I still dont have an o2 connected and i wanted to connect my one wire o2 sensor and i didnt know which port to use. the diagram only shows a 4wire o2.

they said, connet the sensor wire to the EGO+ and run a grounded wire(on the intake manifold) and  connect it to the  EGO-

i also want to get the stock Tachometer to work with this so I asked them and he said try using a signal booster from MSD part# 8920

its a part called "Magnetic pickup tachometer adapter" $45 from summit

has anyone tried this?

I had the stock tach running directly from the Tec and it would drop out at 5000 RPM.  I wanted to use both the Autometer and stock tach but they recomend using one or the other.  So I'm just using my big "mustang" tach. :-/  Nobody ever said anything about a signal amplifier to me.

• 1 month later...

where did you guys pick up the "switched power" to turn on the TEC? I am using the positive coil wire but I want to change it possibly.

i was told we could one of the wires from the front windshield wiper motor.

• 2 weeks later...

I made a visit to Welderwiz. he does awsome work. after a bit of designing and redesigning, he came up with this great new bracket for mounting the crank pick-up sensor. it mounts to the oil pan using two screws and is very solid and completely out of the way. the main reason i wanted a new bracket was to get rid of that big ugly thing i have now to make room for a big radiator fan. we rotated the wheel and had to carefully align the new bracket to keep the placement of the teeth and the sensor in the same ratio.

my trigger wheel is mounted using a spacer and 3 screws to a factory non-AC pulley which already has 6 nice and evenly drilled and tapped holes which make the job of installing a trigger wheel a lot easier.

here is the old bracket:

http://home.earthlink.net/~artinist/images/misc/crankpuold.jpg

and the new one:

http://home.earthlink.net/~artinist/images/misc/crankpunew1.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~artinist/images/misc/crankpunew2.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~artinist/images/misc/crankpunew3.jpg

Whats the diameter of your 60 -2 wheel?

What sensor is used, the 1/2 or 3/8"?

How much for a replica of that bracket? I can weld up my own, but wouldn't mind a quote.

Joel

mine is the older style, i think the newer ones have different number of teeth. mine is using the 3/8" sensor and the 120 teeth wheel. its 6" round. you will have to ask welderwiz for the price though

Thanks. Diameter is something I was interested in. Haven't been under the hood to measure what I would need so your info saved me the trouble.

I'm gonna order one, the SDS trigger I'm using is a PITA. Can't quite get a mount that'll line up exactly how I want and be removable without re-alignment when I'm changing parts. Always takes about an hour to re-align :(

...Tired of it and this is my resolution. Thanks!

Joel

Joel do you still need pics and measurments from me?  I'm really not as lazy as it seems.  I started working part time at Total Performance with Bill_TSG and I barely have time to do anything other than sleep and eat outside of 2 jobs.  

YOU LAZY SLOB!  :o ;D

Nah, I don't need them from you. Art here showed me exactly what I needed in these pics, and answered the other question I had. Thanks for trying though, I do know how finding time can get out of hand. I know how it is trying to balance the whole car forum thing, 2 kids (one thats only 4 months old), etc... Amongst everyone that knows me coming over and asking me to do things while im trying to get other things done. I swear I spend more time on damned RX7s these days then any other car...  ::)

Joel

GOOD NEWS GOOOOD NEWWWS! I put some new plugs in and it started right up! I read another members post saying he was having the same problems, put new plugs in and problem solved, I also had a similar problem when oil got on the plugs of my bike and when I put new plugs in (even though it would run but poorly) and the problem went away. So I decided what the heck, I've checked about everything else, and it started on the first crank and ran great!

I've still got some other little things to square away and I will be working all weekend but it should be on the road in no time flat.

As for the TEC2 stuff, I have about ten different programs that I received with my used TEC2 and I will be making a web page to post them with various comments. I anyone wants to send be there programs (TEC, Hawk, SDS, whatever) with comments, I will post them also. Please be descriptive as to how it runs, what hardware/software/bios it is from, and what the intake components are.

Dave.