Engine overheating

sammi_curr72

I have an '88 TSI, and keep running hot. At first, I was only going halfway between half and 3/4 on the gauge. Today, after replacing coolant (correct ratio), and thermostat (didn't have one when it was opened up, and the one I put in is brand new), drove it home from the next town over, and it hit the 3/4 mark. When I pulled into the driveway, the engine had steam coming out from front. It wasn't the radiator, the was the other part above the intercooler. What is that thing, because the service manual makes no reference to it. I have a slight leak from the water pump, and the new part is ordered. Just wandering what that part is. To be more specific, it sits in front of the big radiator, right behind the front grille of the car. Any other ideas on what's happening to my car, and I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!!

Brett

First things first, heat is the biggest enemy of these motors. 3/4 on the guage means something is VERY wrong, and has probably caused damage internally, either gonna have a head gasket leaking, or a cracked head shortly. In front of the radiator is part of the AC. It shouldn't have anything emitting from it other than freeon if there's a leak of sorts in it's system. First thing to do is make sure your fans are operating correctly. Start the car from cold and let it idle. After a few minutes the larger fan shold kick on. If it cools enough it'll shut down. If it doesn't, the other fan will start. Fan motors die, so do their thermosensors in the bottom of the radiator. Either way, they're a neccessity to keep our cars cool. Update us what you find.

Oh comon guys, seriously.

When your engine boils over the place where you hear the bubling the most is in the Overflow Tank. The plastic overflow tank above the intercooler is what he is talking about.

First and foremost, stop driving the car until you fix the coolant leaks. Open your radiator cap and look at the tubes inside the radiator. If they are all gunked up or rusty then your radiator needs to be cleaned or replaced. Now as long as you say you have a good thermostat the next thing to check is your fans. Make sure they all work. Then make sure the engine is tuned properly. Ignition timing is correct and not running lean are the 2 main things to check.

With all that working properly your car should run cooler.

Thanks for the input guys... it isn't the reservoir; I know what that is. I'm talking about the mini radiator looking thing in front of the radiator, above the intercooler. I have a feeling I'm going to have to do a flush, and if that doesn't rectify it, then have the thing rodded out. If THAT doesn't work, then replace the radiator..heh.. It is rather gunky and orangish (rust) looking, so either it had some stop leak in it, or just rather freakin' nasty inside it. Again, thanks for the input. You guys are the best.. nice to know we look out for each other, and always ready to help out. I'll keep you informed of status and updates.

EDIT: One of the two fans are not working. The driver side one kicks on, but the passenger does not. I'll check the relays (those are on the passenger side next to the air filter and fresh air intake, correct??). Highway speed keeps me at half, but stop and go/city driving is the killer. I've already downloaded the service manual, but does anyone know of an online Hayes/Chilton's than can be downloaded? New water pump from Advance will be here on the 2nd ($50), and my mechanic isn't charging labor. Gotta love having him willing to trade tattoo work for labor...lol. Once again, I'll keep you guys posted.

Edited by sammi_curr72

Lepore got it...oil cooler. Try this, key on, engine off, crawl under the car and find the two sensors on the bottom of the radiator. Pull the connector off the one on the passneger side, unbend a paper clip, stick it in the wire's connector, then ground it. If the fan comes on, your sensor's bad. If the fan doesn't come on, more than likely the fan is dead. Relays do fail, but it's more common for the fan to just quit.

I have an '88 TSI, and keep running hot. At first, I was only going halfway between half and 3/4 on the gauge. Today, after replacing coolant (correct ratio), and thermostat (didn't have one when it was opened up, and the one I put in is brand new), drove it home from the next town over, and it hit the 3/4 mark. When I pulled into the driveway, the engine had steam coming out from front. It wasn't the radiator, the was the other part above the intercooler. What is that thing, because the service manual makes no reference to it. I have a slight leak from the water pump, and the new part is ordered. Just wandering what that part is. To be more specific, it sits in front of the big radiator, right behind the front grille of the car. Any other ideas on what's happening to my car, and I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!!

Brett

Make sure you have clocked the thermostadt properly, the cross brace on its back needs be positioned @ 11 O'clock or the water passage into the head will be blocked reducing its flow by about 40%..

Just my $0.00... ;)

yeah do what these guys said. It is the oil cooler there, and yes the passenger side is your primary fan, I'm sure you didn't get far without it. My secondary went out on me the other day and even just that sent me boiling. Mine was a bad thermoswitch, I would bet that's your problem too. Do what Vbrad said. Until you get a thermoswitch, get a 1/4" (6.3mm) male spade connector (the little pin connector like whats in the fusible link box), crimp that onto a wire, and on the other side crimp an eyelet on there. This is what I did, except I used little alligator clips. Trust me, use the eyelet. Get under there, unbolt the the skid plate thing, and there should be a sensor right under the passenger fan. pull the little rubber boot off, and unplug the connector there. Slide that connector onto your newly made wire's male spade connector, it should click in and lock perfectly. Then find a good bolt, take it out, and slip the eyelet over it, and re install the bolt. You have now grounded the fan, and it will run all the time anytime as long as the car is turned on.

Now, if it doesn't run after doing that, its either a bad fan motor, or bad wiring somewhere for the fan. good luck :)

-Justin

I spent the entire day working on this thing.. lol.. replaced all the brake pads except driver rear... rotor was beyond shot.. ordered it, will be here tomorrow. Rear diff had a small leak, couldn't find a gasket anywhere.. good ol' silicone came into play. Driver side rear rotor was pretty much gone, and had to order. Rotor, caliper, and pad for that will be done tomorrow.. and now I'm gonna try all your suggestions, and see what pans out.. Thanks so much again guys.. you're the best!

Is what M code said right about the thermostat not being positioned right? And hey VBrad what kind of internal damage can U get from overheating once or twice? My car is running hot currently and I'm not sure if it's my newest MegaSquirt settings or what..

With a stock setup? You can waste heads and head gaskets. My 87 was proof of it. Popped a pinhole in that little z shaped bypass hose, pegged the guage, lost the head. Right now I'm parting an 87 that lost a HG. Wasn't sure exactly why, but the primary rad fan is toast, so I'm pretty comfortable naming that the reason (meaning the PO kept driving it even though it wasn't cooling properly).

Guys he's talking about steam coming from in front of the radiator and behind the grill. Do you think steam is gonna come from the oil cooler?

There are 3 possibilities here.

1 the engine is boiling over and the steam is coming from the overflow tank

2 the overflow hose is leaking and droping boiling hot water in that area

3 the front of the radiator has a hole in it and it's spraying the AC condenser with boiling water

Guys he's talking about steam coming from in front of the radiator and behind the grill. Do you think steam is gonna come from the oil cooler?

There are 3 possibilities here.

1 the engine is boiling over and the steam is coming from the overflow tank

2 the overflow hose is leaking and droping boiling hot water in that area

3 the front of the radiator has a hole in it and it's spraying the AC condenser with boiling water

I've had steam come out from the dump hose on the overflow tank before, I think it was when I had a blown head gasket and the radiator couldnt hold the pressure...

Quick question about the thermostat. There's a copper looking pin on the flat assembly. What is that thing for?

Yes..

There is an explanation & picture of this is shown in the SM...

Just my $0.00.. ;)

I just read through it and it says: Caution

Be careful not to install the thermostat obliquely by

fitting the thermostat flange in the spot facing provided

in the intake manifold. And there is a picture too but I have an MPI Magna intake and I am unsure how to position it properly.. I jus thinned down my anti freeze mix too and it's still running hot, have 2 brand new 12" fans right on flat with the radiator that turn on with the key.. Maybe its a MegaSquirt Spark Advance adjustment I've made not sure yet.. But the temperature is getting right up to 230 - 240 Farenheit! The MS Coolant Gauge is very acurate on the Laptop.

-- Coolant Section of the Manual scroll down for Termosthat picture --

http://www.starquestgarage.com/manuals/service/conquest/1988/88_conquest_service_manual_-_group_07_-_cooling.pdf

Edited by VICE

UPDATE:: Found the culprit. Water pump was on it's last legs. Let it run for a bit in the shop yesterday, and when shut off, was dripping from bottom of engine. Did another run today, and when shut off, was pretty much pouring out. Pump wiggles when pulled on, so seal and bearings are shot to heck. On a positive note, the part was already ordered, and will be here on the 2nd. After that is installed, will work on the fan issue. After all my cooling issues are dealt with, going to put in a cold air intake, and start thinking about reconnecting the ac.. it's hot as heck here, and black leather interior heat isn't condusive to my general happiness... lol. Will keep you all updated.

may i jump in here so i dont have to start a new thread ?? i have oil in my coolant just got my 87 quest TSI yesterday for a real shady price and i think i may know why!! where can i find out how to take the head off properly?? thank you guys and sorry to jack your thread. if the head is shot can i still get one some where or just drop in a 4g63??

what part number for the water pump?

where did you get it from?

Thanks,

I ordered it through advance auto parts. Was only $50.. not sure of part number. My mechanic/best bud has an account with them, and ordered it for me.