Chads MPI vs. Magna MPI, worth the extra $?

Im going to run a 19c turbo, is chads intake worth the extra money? what horse power numbers can i expect to get with the magna and 19c? chads intake flows more than the magna, but how much?  I went to the magna site, and most of it is under construction. thanks

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the magna is a factory intake, im sure it is a good design. but i would rather support Chads intake. i like the look better it seems to me an easier setup than the magna. less modification possibly. plus he is a lot closer for support.

just my .02

i just recieved my intake from chad, and to say the least, this thing is beautiful.  it is even one of his early models, some of the welds aren't quite perfect, but he pressure tested to make sure it would be good to go.  personally, i believe the velocity stack design to be a very good one, and there's a lot more plenum volume in this intake than the magna, which is a good thing for a car that needs to breathe a lot.  and it is light.  this thing weighs several pounds less than the stock manifold (performance gain right there  ;D )

i believe he still has a few of his pre-production models available for sale, and at the prices he is selling them, i believe it's well worth it.

Slap that puppy on and let us know how it goes - time will tell.

i just recieved my intake from chad, and to say the least, this thing is beautiful.  it is even one of his early models, some of the welds aren't quite perfect, but he pressure tested to make sure it would be good to go.  personally, i believe the velocity stack design to be a very good one, and there's a lot more plenum volume in this intake than the magna, which is a good thing for a car that needs to breathe a lot.  and it is light.  this thing weighs several pounds less than the stock manifold (performance gain right there  ;D )

i believe he still has a few of his pre-production models available for sale, and at the prices he is selling them, i believe it's well worth it.

i wish i could just slap it on, but i don't have my engine back yet, or a cylinder head for the car.  (anyone got a non-jv head they want to sell cheap? ;D)

my setup will be very different than most of the ones on here though.  built engine, T4 60-1 turbo, spearco intercooler, 2.5" hardpipes, 3" exhaust, big cam, lots of head work, etc.

but i will still go wild with photos and dyno sheets when i'm done, i promise.

i was looking at the magna intake, and it seems like it would be still somewhat restrictive, where the manifold turns in towards the head.  im sure its a whole better than stock though.  Chads intake seems like it would be more better suited for racing applications, which im looking for.  so chads intake would be around $600 more than the magna?  Please keep us posted Quest 4 power, id love to see how it comes out.

taki

Ive seen both up close the Magna intake has much better machining , Id reccomend it for sure . also the Magna has one thing going for it .,Its been on a car and tested and tuned. Its imperative that when buying things like this the manufacturer (person or business) tests the unit and does any fine tweaking before they ship it out ,That way any issues of credibility can be left at the door .  

chad has put a lot of development time into his intake.  of course the magna has better machining, it's made by machine, not by hand.  we are speaking of the performance factor of the intakes.  chad's intake has straight runners, a larger plenum volume, larger TB, and velocity stacks to smooth and speed up the airflow into the runners.  the magna is a good intake setup no doubt, especially compared to the stock TBI, but for all out performance it's hard to beat chad's design.  for example, on the magna, the air has to flow around a 90 degree bend and through a smaller runner which=less flow.  more flow=more power POTENTIAL.  i put potential in caps because that's all it equals to.  for the big turbo i am running i need a lot of flow, therefore making chad's intake the choice for me.  for a smaller setup, the magna is without a doubt an excellent setup.  but once again, i'm speaking of the all-out performance, not the street drivability or the fuel economy.

Oh i agree 100% on designs, would you want to be on the first space shuttle flight ? I will never again buy something I have not heard of being on a car that ran end of story .pLEASE DONT MAKE ME ELABORATE

Both intakes will do a great job.

Look at Frank running a stock intake with 4 injectors hitting high 11's.

I would say Chads intake would work excellent! His work is based upon how SDS builds intake manifolds. Check them out ...  http://www.sdsefi.com/techinta.htm

Having the Magna myself I can tell you it isn't restrictive. The curved area pulls air from a huge plenium. This thing flows my 20G hybrid unbelievebly well.

I don't think you can go wrong getting either one. I know Chad's knowledge level and I know SDS has a lot of experience so there is no doubt in my mind.

I don't believe there will be a huge performance difference between either one... not because chads doesn't have the potential to flow better/more.. but because the head is even a limitation on the magna, no less chad's intake. I bet there are some small gains from chads... but only time will tell.

We all know the magna is good for unbelievable amounts of power, so why worry over it?

I decided to buy the magna... looks like mine will be here next week.

Joel

well, in my case, once again, chad's is my choice due to the extensive headwork that will be done on my car.  i'm looking for every little bit out of this car.  sorry i forgot to add that.  like i said before, both are great designs.  it's hard to beat a factory design of anything.  with a generally stock head, the magna is a good choice for sure.  it's really nothing to argue over.  i can't say anything for the performance of either seeing as i've never really driven a 'quest before anyway.

well, in my case, once again, chad's is my choice due to the extensive headwork that will be done on my car.  i'm looking for every little bit out of this car.  sorry i forgot to add that.  like i said before, both are great designs.  it's hard to beat a factory design of anything.  with a generally stock head, the magna is a good choice for sure.  it's really nothing to argue over.  i can't say anything for the performance of either seeing as i've never really driven a 'quest before anyway.

Magna flows real well with a wicked port job.  ;)

I think any engine that could run Chads the Magna could run too.

I am really anxious to see Chads intake in action. I was pissed when I seen Frank selling Chads 8 injector intake he made for that 11 sec Starion he once had.

Well, when the guy who bought chad's intake gets his stuff all together and ready to go, I've volunteered myself to help him put it together (since he lives about 3 miles away from me).

Joel

Just throwing in my 2 bits,

As I understand flow dynamics, just because a air channel is smaller does not mean it is worse. I have been told that the very large intakes actually lose bottom end performance due to the amount of preasure it takes to get decent velocity. While the smaller intake has strong velocity at bottom end but flow suffers at the top end.

Can anyone confirm or deny this theory?

Brian (A.K.A. The Flaming Bumper)

I suppose you could flow bench test the intake but why should Chad have to prove his product over anyone elses?  The magan and EIP don't have any test numbers.  If you compare the three intakes, Chad's is most simmilar to EIP's in that it has a larger plenum and shorter intake runners than the Magna.  I can speak for EIP's intake and I like it.  There are a few things that makes Chad's better IMO.  He has the velocity stacks in side the plenum, you can retain the a/c, cruise, water lines to turbo, and the stock thermostat and housing.  For high horsepower Chad also has an intake that will allow for 2 injectors per cylinder. Its only a matter of time before some gets results from Chad's intake so that we can compare all three.

-Kris

Well, when the guy who bought chad's intake gets his stuff all together and ready to go, I've volunteered myself to help him put it together (since he lives about 3 miles away from me).

Joel

you talking about me?  or someone else?  just wondering if anyone actually lives near me.