Rear control arm bushing. Anyone replaced with stock bushings?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 88whitestarion

88whitestarion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • Interests:Keep the turbo spooled!

Posted 01 December 2019 - 05:24 PM

My winter project is to go through the suspension. I have a set of OEM rear control arm bushings that I bought from the dealer 12 years ago. I think I saw on the boards where you need to burn the old ones out. I hate to do that unless I'm confident I can get the new OEM bushings back in. Has anyone done this? Any suggestions/tips to getting the stock bushings back in?

Thanks,

Dave

Edited by 88whitestarion, 01 December 2019 - 05:24 PM.

#2 techboy

techboy

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,434 posts
  • Interests:80's & 90's turbo charged cars.
  • Model:Starion

Posted 01 December 2019 - 06:03 PM

I haven't taken the rear apart yet, it's actually on my plan for this winter as well.  So, I can't say for sure, but in the control arm bushing work I've done on other cars you can usually just press them out and press the new one's in fairly easy.  If you don't have access to a press you should be find a shop locally that does and they can probably do it pretty cheap if you bring them the arms and bushings.  You might be able to burn the old ones out, but you'd have to get the new ones in which might not be easy.

Question - is it just a rubber  or poly bushing, or does it have metal jacket around it?
1988 Starion ESi-R ... crushed by a tree 10/31/11 - back from the dead 8/2016
1988 Conquest TSi ... current driver - sold to Bigjoe 6/2016
1987 Conquest Flatty ... F/S thread - sold 8/2014
1987 Conquest TSi ... parts car - sold to Coldscrip 12/2011
1999 Eclipse 4G63 ... heavily modified.
Feeback Thread | Motor rebuild thread | Restoration thread

Posted Image

#3 88whitestarion

88whitestarion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 06:19 PM

The rear inner bushing(the one closest to the back bumper) has no sleeve. It just has a lip on both sides. So getting that lip pushed through could be tricky. The other three bushings all have a steel outer sleeve.

I do have a Harbor Freight press, so I'll probably give it a shot myself. The trick is probably finding the correct size tooling(sockets have served me well in the past) to press it in without destroying the rubber bushing.

Again if anyone has done this, please let me know.

#4 87redcat

87redcat

10 years and counting...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,963 posts
  • Interests:Aircraft Mechanic, having the wife tell you its about time you finished MY car...
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 01 December 2019 - 07:33 PM

Auto Zone and Advance have a rentable bushing press kit you canrent for free.
Used the one from Advance on my buddy's WRX. It works.
The poly bushings are usually in 2 pieces which makes it super easy to install them.
Burning the old ones outis pretty much the easiest way to get the old ones out.
Ive drilled and cut abd twisted with pliers... Burm Em...
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

#5 88whitestarion

88whitestarion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 11:00 AM

I am replacing with a new OEM bushing. If they come out so hard that burning is required, then getting a new one in sounds difficult. I looked in the factory service manual and it doesn't even cover the topic of R&R.

#6 Tim_C.

Tim_C.

Addicted Starquester

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,115 posts
  • Interests:Serving Our Lord Jesus Christ!

Posted 02 December 2019 - 11:40 AM

Burned mine out, but put the 2 piece polys back in. No issues, but I don't know how much trouble the OEM style will be.
'87TSi .510Roller Cam, JE Forged, TS Rings & plateau honed walls, lightened rods, race prepped crank, mains line honed, balanced, 17C, 3"EX, 2"HardPipes, AlFly, rrfpr, 88trans, 3.90's w/posi plate mods, polyBushings, STSprings, KYBStruts, Camber Plates, CustomAlternator
Traded for new set of tires for my wife's Buick: '87 TSI Gold that needs just about all steering and suspension parts replaced, injectors, a new transmission, clutch, and various electrical gremlins. New owner is a mechanic who is already driving it. I couldn't stand letting it sit any more!
'86 ESiR - OEM Roller Cam, Wiseco Forged 8:1 Pistons, Chad's equal length header, TEP T3/T4 turbo, ACT HD clutch, Fidanza Fly, custom 3" exhaust, 3 core oversized radiator, O-ringed block, AJUSA metal shim head gasket, Dawes Device boost controller
'85 Plymouth Conquest Auto , Wiseco 8:1, super light pins, shaved rods, hi-torque cam, 2.5 Exhaust
'84 Dodge Conquest Parts car
'83 Starion - Gutted stock exhaust with '87 TSi muffler, New engine with: BS Elim,forged Wisecos,balanced,Schneider274H,marnal w/oversized stainless valves
'83 Cannonball Run II Jackie Chan car, Basic ring and bearing job w/less than 6K original miles on body, steering, suspension, & rear end, Lightened stock fly, BS Elim, Walbro 255LPH FP, NEW Clearwater head with all new parts, intercooled, 14G turbo, 2750 car weight
'96 Mitsu Mirage w/rebuilt head. Gets 35+MPG.
'87 Dodge Ram50 4WD Rebuilt engine, fresh stock head, Weber carbed, BS elim. Runs great now!
'97 Buick Ultra (supercharged Park Avenue)

#7 88whitestarion

88whitestarion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 12:40 PM

Are the polys still available? I guess I could try to put the OEM back in, but if unable, go to the poly.

#8 markhansenconquest

markhansenconquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,549 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 02:31 PM

MKS motor sports sell them..................

#9 87redcat

87redcat

10 years and counting...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,963 posts
  • Interests:Aircraft Mechanic, having the wife tell you its about time you finished MY car...

Posted 02 December 2019 - 08:43 PM

Or slice those oems in half...
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

#10 BC_99

BC_99

Plays in traffic

• Vendors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,233 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 10:02 AM

If you burn them out you'll need to repaint or coat the control arms. I don't know if you planned to do that anyway, but thought it might be worth mentioning.

BC
Steering coupler replacement U-Joints are available here...
http://www.starquest...howtopic=145280

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#11 88whitestarion

88whitestarion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 11:23 AM

I get burning them out is easier. However, if I can't press them out, then how am I going to press them in. Apparently, no one has pressed in an OEM bushing. I would prefer to keep the ride a little softer with the OEM bushing. But I guess I'll need to go to poly if I can't get them back in. I haven't attempted this yet, so maybe it's not that bad.

Edited by 88whitestarion, 04 December 2019 - 11:24 AM.

#12 psu_Crash

psu_Crash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,231 posts
  • Interests:400+ WHP 450+ WTQ!!... and curves with green eyes
  • Model:Starion

Posted 04 December 2019 - 11:38 AM

I used a large arbor press to remove mine. Worked well, but you will destroy the bushing in the process. i have no idea how you would press one back in and not damage it. Mitsubishi Voodoo Magic ...
'86 Starion, MPI with MS2extra, Ebay To4E 57 Trim (in testing), P&P head, OS SS Valves, Wiseco +.030, ARP head/rod, RPW Roller Cam, Crower Rods,AEM H2O/Meth Injection, Mighty Max CAS 4 Direct Fire Wasted Spark, BSE, Tial 38mm, JDL exhaust mani, HKS turbo timer and EVC3, AEM UEGO, 3" DP into 2 1/2" Dual Exhaust, 85# Delphi's, Magna modded by Chad, Accufab FPR, Walbro 255, D2 Coilovers, GNT Poly Bushings and mounts, Autopower 4 point cage, Funk-Lock, LED Tails and Dome ... etc^4
2016-17 SCCA Solo Glen Region Champion in Street Modified. Going for a 3-peat this year ;)
The Valencia Project
http://www.starquest...+golden +dreams
My Feedback Link
Posted Image

#13 TexasQuest

TexasQuest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,021 posts
  • Interests:TSi's & VR4's

Posted 05 December 2019 - 11:14 AM

There's probably a special service tool Mitsubishi used back in the day.
88 Fiji Blue -TSi
Zoom clutch, Fidanza flywheel, Stedebani shifter, KSport coilovers, ST swaybars, abs delete, a/c delete, cruise delete, JVE, BSEK, TEP steel brake lines, LSP braided cooler lines, CX Racing radiator,  MK1 silicone hoses, MK1 pullies, *DM hard pipes & intercooler,14G turbo, ported exh. manifold, MAF Translator, 3.5" GM maf, Turbo XS RFL bov, *DM 3" exhaust, Cusco front strut bar, TEP rear strut bar, Enkei 92's, HKS turbo timer, AEM wideband, AEM boost gauge, AEM oil pressure gauge, SPA fuel regulator, Hallman boost controller
Posted Image

View PostJohnnyWadd, on 04 March 2010 - 10:01 PM, said:

my shaft was big i dont know what your talking about.

<SOS> http://sosmanuals.minagera.org/
<SQ Garage> http://www.starquestgarage.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users