Change dashboard color

Gamble88

^LOL I texted you too Runnel... no love:( Are you feeling better? I know you were sick at one point :P

I think a black/maroon would be sick on white. Especially if the maroon is still dark, rich, and soft.

-Justin

Duplicolor Vinyl and Fabric paint.

Clean the dash with a very good degreaser, scuff it with some scotchbrite, hit it lightly with a little Bulldog adhesion promoter, then paint it.

Just make sure to scuff it and degrease it, otherwise the new paint will flake right off.

There was a post about this stuff just a couple weeks ago.

I use a good citrus degreaser diluted with water (not a lot- avoid getting it on electronics) and plastic bristle scrub brush or tooth brush. Then use a grey or red Scotchbrite pad to scuff all the vinyl you want to paint. Then an adhesion promoter will make it stick real good and help hold in places you couldn't clean and scuff well. Without the proper cleaning or scuffing it will flake, even with the adhesion promoter. It may hang on longer with just the promoter, but in the end it will fail too.

I hate pulling dashes. I've had people say they can pull one and put it back in within an hour, but it's always taken me much longer with the ones I have done. I've pulled 3 from parts car, and those took me damn near an hour without trying to be gentle. Mingo and I pulled his dash a couple weeks ago and it took us a good hour and a half to get the dash taken out gently, and I don't see it going back in any quicker.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a white Quest w/ Maroon interior that I did a Black dash swap in over a year ago and added other black parts as well. I actually really like it. See the thread:

http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=115382

I also attempted to paint/dye the old dash black just for fun and it actually came out really well. I basically did exactly what Burton said already.

Neighbors cousin just moved up because he wants to go to UTI. So I called him over to have him help me pull the dash figured it would be a good learning experience for us both. Pull the dash with little trouble. Mainly the steering wheel and lower cover sucked.

Before he got there I was practicing on dying a floor panel. I used acetone and a scotch brite (grey) pad and then adhesion promoter and then the dye. It came out awesome. Got the dash out and after I did a quick wipe down with acetone the large part of the dash started to bubble. Almost looked like a burn victim. Or a lot of scaring. None of this was there before.

Wiped it down with water and a little acetone and then took my propane torch and held it not too close to dry it off. Taped off some areas and did about 5 light coats of dye. Going to let it dry for an hour and see how it looks. The small piece had red showing through but after drying for an hour it was no longer visible.

If it goes well I'm going to let it dry overnight and put it back in the car tomorrow.

I have a white Quest w/ Maroon interior that I did a Black dash swap in over a year ago and added other black parts as well. I actually really like it. See the thread:

http://www.starquest...howtopic=115382

I also attempted to paint/dye the old dash black just for fun and it actually came out really well. I basically did exactly what Burton said already.

What's your take on clear coat? Should I put a clear coat on the top or no?

I wouldn't clear it. The clear could yellow or crack down the road.

Yeah, I wouldn't have used acetone. It works fine on some plastics/vinyls but not all. That's why I always use a degreaser. Excellent cleaning capabilities for removing greasy interior dressing, yet not harsh enough to damage any of the surfaces that need cleaning.

Edited by Burton