Copper gasket spray worth it?

It works fine for head gaskets and exhaust gaskets. I also use it on stuff like oil pump gaskets. It makes a really good seal for areas like the pump gasket where you do not want silicone squirting out of the joint.

Just remember only use it on one side of the head gasket. It will glue the head to the block and since aluminum expands more than steel it can rip the gasket after x # of heat cycles. It also makes it hard to remove the head. I used it on both sides of the HG on the wifes car once. After the engine failed when a core plug rusted out I couldn't pry the head off. I ended up having to put a 2x4 between the ground and the exhaust manifold and lower the jack so the car was resting on the 2x4. Even that didn't break it loose. Only after I jumped on the front bumper a bit did the head break loose.

Edited by ucw458

I have used it on tons of stuff with great results. If you let if dry longer the gluing effect is reduced too. One time I did a repair on a geo metro and we where stranded and had no head gasket and the valves where pitted from blowby. Hand lapped the valves in and put the head back on with spray gasket on both sides of the gasket and on the head and block with the old gasket. Ran great afterward.

is it better to spray it on let it sit a few minutes then assemble?

or spray it on then assemble right away.

i was planning on spraying it on the gasket both sides for

exhaust mani to turbine gasket assemble it then let it sit for

a day or 2.

a day or 2.

I use the stuff on any metal gaskets. Especially the exhaust manifold and turbo gaskets. I give it a good couple coats and let it sit for a while, then assemble. Letting it sit a couple days is just fine.

won't hurt, but I only use it when it's required such as recommended in instructions or service manual.

a day or 2.

that's what I have done, and same on the threads too