Computer won't shut off/hibernate...any ideas?

strang3majik

My Dell Inspiron n5110 with Windows 7 has been having this issue lately.

If I hibernate, standby, shutdown, or restart, it will not shut off completely.

The monitor shuts off, the fan shuts off, but the hard drive indicator, power button, and power light all remain solidly illuminated. The computer does get hot when it does this as well.

The first time it did it, what shut it off was the battery dying.

If I hold the power button it will shut off, but of course it'll reboot with the "Your computer did not shut down correctly." Or if I hibernate it and it does it, then I hold the power button...then turn it back on, it resumes from hibernation like it should.

I just don't understand. And I'm afraid its going to burn the computer up.

The POS is only a year and a month old. 1 month past its warranty. All my previous Dells have been great dating back to the Windows 98 days, but this one has been a nightmare from the start. At 2 months old I had to have to motherboard replaced under warranty.

Anyway...any ideas? No viruses...I checked that already. Reinstalled video drivers as well since someone mentioned that. I'm usually pretty computer savvy...but this has me stumped.

Now this is not a super common thing to happen but I have heard of computers getting infected with malware that allows them to be controlled and used in botnets (google it). Basically allowing the computer to be used when hackers DDOS attack sites etc. It does sound a bit like that...

I will say that its a small small chance, and its probably just a hardware or software issue but I figured I'd mention it. You could easily check if its software or hardware by using a linux live cd (bootable distro) and shut down the comp after booting it from the disc. If it shuts down properly its software. If it doesn't its probably hardware related.

Hope this helps and sorry for the outlandish thought haha.

Allen

i was guessing mobo or power supply.....probably power supply

but it seems this is a fairly common problem with window 7 on some devices

here is the fix from the microsoft forums

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/pc-doesnt-shut-down-wwindows7/02f1744f-82a6-445c-a1d1-ff279c4b18a4

Go into the windows control panel and the device manager to the tab for IEEE-1394 Bus Host Controllers and click the tab to expand it then right click for properties and under power managment click "Allow the computer to turn off this device...." and all is back the way it should be!

Edited by Walker

^ yep one of the 2 above. I would also recomend not to hibernate / sleep the PC ever..... ether turn it off (deal with the slower boot up not that it should be more then 50-60 seconds with a modern PC), or leave it on. Reason I say this is the exact reason you highlighted above.... when they get in sleep states some hardware has isseus controling fans and you can burn stuff up.

hacker option is an option to.... when you said you checked how did you check? Anything more then just some punk hacker is going to be undetectable while PC is running / drive is booted from (mounted), you would need a 2nd PC to mount and scan the drive (not botting from the drive) or a live CD as stated above with drive removed for boot.

Also Dell is netourious for putting there Dell bloat whare on there PC's get rid of or turn off the whole dell power, dell control point, ect stuff. The opp system has it's own contorl for this and the dell software just makes calls to the opp system so it's not needed.

Also check that windows is not downloading updates...... the updates will keep the PC on till they finish downloading with Win 7

Edited by jszucs