#1 Malykaii

Malykaii

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts
  • Model:Other

Posted 18 October 2017 - 07:08 PM

Eyeing a 1983 Continental, Valentino Edition. Is the look too much, tacky, or ugly? Also, not actual image, just a similar car.

https://imgur.com/a/LhT59
1988 Montero... turbo swap up and running. (rust repair in progress)
2000 Mustang gt... daily driver

#2 JessN16

JessN16

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,591 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 07:47 PM

View PostMalykaii, on 18 October 2017 - 07:08 PM, said:

Eyeing a 1983 Continental, Valentino Edition. Is the look too much, tacky, or ugly? Also, not actual image, just a similar car.

https://imgur.com/a/LhT59

Question: What's got you eyeing this car? My family had an '83 Mark VI (following our 77 Mark V) so I'm familiar with the brand around that time.

Jess
Current denizens of the garage:
'88 Conquest TSi
'10 Jaguar XF Premium Portfolio
'89 Jaguar XJS V12
'87 Jaguar XJ6
---
In the rearview mirror:
'87 Starion (black), '88 Conquest TSi (black), '88 Conquest TSi (Durban), '88 Jaguar XJS V12, '76 Jaguar XJ12L, '88 Jaguar XJ6 VDP, '99 Jaguar XJ8, '98 Jaguar XK8, '03 Jaguar S-Type, '85 Jaguar XJ6 '88 Galant Sigma, '90 Ford Taurus SHO, '75 Bricklin SV-1, '97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#3 Malykaii

Malykaii

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 08:02 PM

Honestly I always wanted to own a posh and flashy luxury car, like a 7 series or Jaguar.

Figured a 5.0 Ford product is the easiest way to play that game without spending big bucks and worrying about parts/reliability too much.

Been on the lookout for a Continental for probably over a year as it's not a common car, and this one popped up. Wish it was just plain white though.

Plus a T5 setup out of a Fox Body is mostly a bolt on afair.

Any opinions or advice on such a Lincoln? Any common complaints or issues come to mind?

Edited by Malykaii, 18 October 2017 - 08:04 PM.

#4 Bradrock

Bradrock

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • Interests:Guns, metal working, guns, wrenching, guns,wood working, Gold mining, guns & cool cars.
  • Model:Starion

Posted 18 October 2017 - 09:40 PM

I'm blue oval to the core. But when I wanted luxury, I went Cadillac & glad I did!

Posted Image
Run's with scizzor's

#5 JessN16

JessN16

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,591 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 11:06 PM

View PostMalykaii, on 18 October 2017 - 08:02 PM, said:

Honestly I always wanted to own a posh and flashy luxury car, like a 7 series or Jaguar.

Figured a 5.0 Ford product is the easiest way to play that game without spending big bucks and worrying about parts/reliability too much.

Been on the lookout for a Continental for probably over a year as it's not a common car, and this one popped up. Wish it was just plain white though.

Plus a T5 setup out of a Fox Body is mostly a bolt on afair.

Any opinions or advice on such a Lincoln? Any common complaints or issues come to mind?

Sure, here's my take...

The Good:

* 5.0 parts are as common as chips
* Seats are like sofas. Comfortable cruiser.
* Interior build materials actually aren't bad, other than any D-ring knobs you might find on headlight switches/etc. Every one of those will break.
* Good examples of those cars are rare. Most have been ragged out badly. So if you find a nice one, you have a potential collectible if/when domestic luxury vehicles from the 80s catch on.

The Bad:

* Underpowered as hell. That 5.0 that you have put out a whopping 123 HP/231 TQ from the factory.
* Can't be hustled. Suspension was way too soft, lots of body roll. Almost to the point of feeling unsafe.
* Steering is so light you can't tell the wheels are touching the road.
* Surprisingly the HVAC system is weak and buggy. Don't know why; Ford usually made good HVAC units.
* Very easy for the body cladding to start showing age/wear. The rubber bits warp, discolor and are somewhat hard to find.

Overall if you want something unique that goes slow and soft, you're probably in good shape and you can work on it with no issues. If you want it to go fast, it's a simple matter to get more HP but any curves in the road at all bring a quick end to the fun. I'm not sure about what your aftermarket options are there.

Now, I'll mention this about Jaguar since you did: I have owned 10 Jaguars from the 1960s up to current day, and currently have a 1987 XJ6, which is mechanically identical to a 1983 Jag and mechanically similar to those made from 1968-1982. Briefly, here's my advice on old Jaguars:

* If you want performance, get the V-12. If you want to be able to work on it, get the I-6. The basic structure of the I-6 in an 80s Jaguar was developed back in 1949 and used until 1992. Parts are plentiful, most are fairly reasonable in cost and the 3.8/4.0/4.2 I-6 motor (motor code: "XK") is stupid simple to work on. However, despite being a DOHC motor, it has limited tuning capabilities in comparison to the motor in that Continental.
* One good thing about that motor, though, is that you can rip one out and all but drop in a GM V-8 engine with no modifications. Most Jaguars came with a GM400 transmission anyway, making it an easy swap.
* The Jaguar will outhandle the Lincoln by a factor of roughly one million. Body roll is still an issue, but it is systematically controlled in a well-maintained Jag. Braking is better on the Lincoln. More importantly, the rear brake service on a Jag requires the rear end of the car to be dropped since it has inboard rear disc brakes.
* Seats in the Jag are sportier. The large transmission tunnel through the middle of the car creates for itself sort of an airplane cockpit feel while the Lincoln is traditional American bench.
* HVAC systems in a Jaguar were made by a company called Delanair. I like to refer to them as piles of ****. They were overly complex, broke way too easily and are just about impossible to get to in order to fix. There's a part all Jag A/C units will eventually need called an "A/C amplifier" and they are out of production. When mine finally goes dead I'll actually remove the Delanair unit entirely and put in one of those add-on HVAC units you see in hot rod magazines.
* Overall the electrical system in a 6-cyl Jaguar is pretty easy and straightforward, but they are Lucas Electrical parts and should be replaced with Bosch/etc. whenever possible. The V-12 cars are nightmarish -- 14 hours is the shop manual estimate for doing a tune-up.
* If you care about people noticing your car, get the Jag. It's a charmer. I can't drive mine anywhere without people wanting to talk about it.

Jess
'88 Conquest TSi
'89 Jaguar XJS V12
'87 Jaguar XJ6
---
In the rearview mirror:
'87 Starion (black), '88 Conquest TSi (black), '88 Conquest TSi (Durban), '88 Jaguar XJS V12, '76 Jaguar XJ12L, '88 Jaguar XJ6 VDP, '99 Jaguar XJ8, '98 Jaguar XK8, '03 Jaguar S-Type, '85 Jaguar XJ6 '88 Galant Sigma, '90 Ford Taurus SHO, '75 Bricklin SV-1, '97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

#6 ucw458

ucw458

This will mean the extinction of all life forms on this planet.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,356 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 19 October 2017 - 01:02 AM

View PostJessN16, on 18 October 2017 - 11:06 PM, said:

* HVAC systems in a Jaguar were made by a company called Delanair. I like to refer to them as piles of ****. They were overly complex, broke way too easily and are just about impossible to get to in order to fix. There's a part all Jag A/C units will eventually need called an "A/C amplifier" and they are out of production. When mine finally goes dead I'll actually remove the Delanair unit entirely and put in one of those add-on HVAC units you see in hot rod magazines.

https://www.jag-aire.com/
My 87
Posted Image

#7 Fuze

Fuze

AKA @Battlemagnet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,640 posts
  • Interests:Chess Boxing

Posted 19 October 2017 - 09:16 AM

Would make a unique drift missile with manual swap, turbo and welded diff! Or, maybe just drive it around lol. The question is, how hard is it to parallel park that thing on a NYC street?

I always liked the Mark 7's when they were out, sounded like Mustangs.
Posted Image

Edited by Fuze, 19 October 2017 - 09:18 AM.

Insta = @battlemagnet

Posted Image

#8 JessN16

JessN16

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,591 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 10:48 AM

View Postucw458, on 19 October 2017 - 01:02 AM, said:

You are my hero.

Jess
'88 Conquest TSi
'89 Jaguar XJS V12
'87 Jaguar XJ6
---
In the rearview mirror:

#9 EricSQ

EricSQ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 10:49 AM

Tacky?  Let me give it a look see.......
Posted Image
Posted Image
1988 Chrysler Conquest Tsi (sold)____1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL (sold)
1987 Mitsubishi Starion (sold)_______ 1986 Mitsubishi Starion LS Swap (For Sale)
2015 Subaru WRX (sold)___________ 2002 Chevy Silverado Z71 (For Sale)
2005 Subaru Baja Turbo (sold)______  2000 Chevy Silverado Shortwide (DD)

#10 louswheel

louswheel

King Kong Status

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,185 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 19 October 2017 - 12:40 PM

Those big rolling water beds are nice! There are very few rolling the streets nowadays.  Only set back with those years are the cheap brittle plastic pieces.

Or you could go with a Cadi! Them econobox stompers are the 'ish!

#11 Bradrock

Bradrock

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • Interests:Guns, metal working, guns, wrenching, guns,wood working, Gold mining, guns & cool cars.

Posted 19 October 2017 - 07:48 PM

Does that 83 Lincoln have a carb, or a throttle body fuel injection?
For what it's worth, I bought my rust free 77 Coupe Deville for $1,000 & it runs like a top. 425 V8. I also have a 99 Deville thats a DREAM to drive & I paid $2,000 three years ago. Interior is mint & still smells like new leather. The old one is a 'Floater' & the 99 has a firm wheel & is pure driving pleasure. The Northstar really gets up & GOES! The 77 is way easier to work on. Last summer I spent three days putting in a new alternator on the 99. I had to keep walking away to re-group! An alternator on the 77 might take 20 minutes if I stopped for a smoke!
Run's with scizzor's

#12 Malykaii

Malykaii

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 08:47 AM

Thanks for the tips Jess. The jags are def gorgeous, but the issues you describe are not worth it. My g54b is enough of a project. Don't want a car I can't drive too far due to fear of breaking down.

If I did a Jag, it would be a stick shift X Type.

#13 Malykaii

Malykaii

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 08:54 AM

I believe it's a throttle body injection. However I would ultimately swap over the "High Output" stuff from a mustang or explorer to make it MPI and running 220hp.

Good point Fuze. Parking will be an issue. That's also why I'm considering mid sized vehicles. Otherwise I could just grab a clean 80s town car for $1500 if parking was easier.

Also, the Mark VII and Continental are built on the same Fox platform as the mustang. It's all very similar.

#14 JessN16

JessN16

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,591 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 12:37 AM

View PostMalykaii, on 20 October 2017 - 08:47 AM, said:

Thanks for the tips Jess. The jags are def gorgeous, but the issues you describe are not worth it. My g54b is enough of a project. Don't want a car I can't drive too far due to fear of breaking down.

If I did a Jag, it would be a stick shift X Type.

I looked at the stick-shift X-Types and I would stay away from both them and the 2003 stick-shift S-Type (only year it was made). The only Ford-built Jag worth a d*mn is the XJ8. The X-Types suffer from horrible transmission issues and issues with the differential if you like to drive the car hard. The S-Type was a sister to the Lincoln LS and both cars regularly land on lists of worst cars ever made. We've owned a pair of LSes along with my S-Type and the reputation fits, unfortunately. The limp-home mode Ford and Jag used was intrusive enough on the auto-shift cars, but on the manuals, it's unlivable. In a stick-shift car, you're limited to 10 mph and 2k RPM if it trips. And it will trip for d*mn near any reason.

Honestly, the new Tata-owned Jaguar is so much better than Ford that it's not close. But if you absolutely must have a stick shift in a Tata Jag, you're looking at the base model F-Type only, which is $66k when new.

One option is to buy a V-12 XJS and use a DrivenMan conversion kit to remove the GM400 transmission and replace it with a Tremec stick shift. The kit + labor is $10k or so and requires a skilled fabricator. But you can find a good XJS for about $7k, so $17k for a car with a true exotic engine and modern performance might not be so bad.

I just did about 200 miles today in my '87 XJ6. I did about 1,000 miles in it the week of the Scottsboro meet earlier this year. I have no qualms about driving her anywhere (same with my V-12 XJS). Like I said earlier, I'm of the mind that the lemons are already dead. Those mid-/high-mileage Jags still running out there must have been the ones built on the right day of the week. Keep the fluids changed, drive them regularly (they get jealous of your other cars, and bored if left in the garage) and they'll reward you.

Jess
'88 Conquest TSi
'89 Jaguar XJS V12
'87 Jaguar XJ6
---
In the rearview mirror:

#15 creakyjoints

creakyjoints

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 07:45 AM

Fords 70's luxo barges I think were better. Also I loved the 460 powered T-bird my parents had.
the dude in the honda said, i thought you said your car was slow, my response was.. well you said yours was fast so i guess we both lied.. haha

#16 Malykaii

Malykaii

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 06:50 AM

I actually looked into those Jaguar V8 conversions and the price alone is a big deterrent. I saw an LS and stick shift(t56?) swapped XJS for $7500. Not looking for a car payment, but if it was a 4 door like an XJ, I'd prob have scooped it up.

The S Type used a horrible Getrag manual transmission and a crappy electric park brake. Having a transmission that is literally not rebuild able and only lasts 90k is unacceptable.

I know the X Type autos were notorious for lasting like 50k. However, isn't the stick shift model a modified Ford Focus MTX75 unit that can be easily rebuilt? (I might be wrong?) Also, the transfer case sucks, but can be rebuilt by hand with cheap universal bearings according to a few write ups. It's def not a great car, but it sounds better than many Audi's I've had to fix.

#17 Malykaii

Malykaii

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 06:53 AM

View Postcreakyjoints, on 21 October 2017 - 07:45 AM, said:

Fords 70's luxo barges I think were better. Also I loved the 460 powered T-bird my parents had.

Believe me, if parking and some sense of practicality wasn't an issue, I'd be all over a Mark VI

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users