tokico illumina rear inserts....slight update pics/questions

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, they had Illuminas for all the 2nd gen MR2's (91-95). Although the MR2 was dropped a tad in 93, I don't recall there being a difference between years in aftermarket shock part numbers.

They're really great shocks; you may want to call them up and see if they have something that will fit the rear housing better, though.

Yeah, they had Illuminas for all the 2nd gen MR2's (91-95). Although the MR2 was dropped a tad in 93, I don't recall there being a difference between years in aftermarket shock part numbers.

They're really great shocks; you may want to call them up and see if they have something that will fit the rear housing better, though.

you mean the rear starion housing or the rear mr2 housing?

Sorry, lol...I meant once you gut the stock sealed unit.

I'm curious how well of a fit these shocks really are for the Starquests though. If anything, the MR2 rears should be used as the SQ fronts...I haven't seen anyone switching them around though.

There is no rear "housing", as it's a sealed unit. :wink:

Adding spacers for the MR2 designed strut inserts should be sufficient.

not complety right. the rear SHP 8 way shocks are "housings" they unscew at the top and the unit comes out. leaving the 8 way knob and aperture remaining in the housing.

Sorry, lol...I meant once you gut the stock sealed unit.

I'm curious how well of a fit these shocks really are for the Starquests though. If anything, the MR2 rears should be used as the SQ fronts...I haven't seen anyone switching them around though.

that said the mr2 rears should fit the S/Q rear. i did test fit a KYB GR2(front S/Q one) in my rear housing and it fits!

that said the mr2 rears should fit the S/Q rear. i did test fit a KYB GR2(front S/Q one) in my rear housing and it fits!

Seems like the way to go to me. I mean, figuring the weight dist. in the mk2 MR2 is something like 43/57, it seems like placing the shocks designed to take more weight in the front of the SQ's would be better for handling. I guess giving Tokico a call and having them start making a kit would be ideal, but yeah. :wink:

I wasn't aware of the SHP struts, never had any. :wink: The non-shp ones look like they can be taken apart, but I didn't have any luck. I think they'd have to be cut.

The rear MR2 struts have been used in the front SQ housings, and the rear housings that artinist had made.

I'll be using a set in the front, without the normally needed 1.85" or so spacer. The front housing will be cut down the exact amount that makes up the difference between the MR2 rear cartridge and the stock SQ front cartridge. That way i'll be able to go just under 2" lower, and have the correct dampening that the MR2 strut can provide. Of course being that low though, i'll have to get my 3" exhaust remade using oval tubing and have it ran as close to the body as possible.. I already have to drive up on sheets of 3/4" MDF just to get a jack under my car.. :lol:

88Tsi_Rob said the MR2 AGX's are 14.125" and the stock front inserts are 16". I guess the difference is 1.875".. Once I get my upper strut nut on the Cusco camber plates drilled and retapped to 14x1.5mm, I should be set. Well, that and get the lower control arms from a flatbody to bring in the camber a bit, as my cusco's are maxed out right now and dropping nearly 2" further will give me crazy camber..

Stupid never-ending project cars.. :lol: :lol:

I wasn't aware of the SHP struts, never had any. :wink: The non-shp ones look like they can be taken apart, but I didn't have any luck. I think they'd have to be cut.

The rear MR2 struts have been used in the front SQ housings, and the rear housings that artinist had made.

I'll be using a set in the front, without the normally needed 1.85" or so spacer. The front housing will be cut down the exact amount that makes up the difference between the MR2 rear cartridge and the stock SQ front cartridge. That way i'll be able to go just under 2" lower, and have the correct dampening that the MR2 strut can provide. Of course being that low though, i'll have to get my 3" exhaust remade using oval tubing and have it ran as close to the body as possible.. I already have to drive up on sheets of 3/4" MDF just to get a jack under my car.. :lol:

88Tsi_Rob said the MR2 AGX's are 14.125" and the stock front inserts are 16". I guess the difference is 1.875".. Once I get my upper strut nut on the Cusco camber plates drilled and retapped to 14x1.5mm, I should be set. Well, that and get the lower control arms from a flatbody to bring in the camber a bit, as my cusco's are maxed out right now and dropping nearly 2" further will give me crazy camber..

Stupid never-ending project cars.. :lol: :lol:

thats a a crazy idea about cutting em down wouyld make your car automatically lowered. i guess you still have all your "up travel" justy no "down travel" do your lower arms sit horizontal i wonder?

thats a a crazy idea about cutting em down wouyld make your car automatically lowered. i guess you still have all your "up travel" justy no "down travel" do your lower arms sit horizontal i wonder?

Yes, the lower control arms are nearly horizontal, maybe a couple degrees away.. I just eyeballed it.

With 450lb/in front springs, there's not much down travel. :lol:

jaus paus

you may want to mount your exhaust like i did... have all the hangers remade using modern style that weld to the pipe and the hanger is square and very firm.

My exhaust hugs the bottom of my car and doesnt move at all (a good quality flew is mandatory , the cheap stuff wont last long.

i did a simple drawing to get a point across the other day, it is relevent here

http://www.26liter.us/gallery/albums/userpics/10123/strut%20mod.jpg

ya i saw that in another thread. good idea. i want to see if the machine shop can just thread a cut open housing to accapt the top nut. you loose about a inch but that okay for mr2 inserts though

http://www.tristarion.com/cms/component/op...0/topic,18596.0

got my tokicos!! $219.00 shipped for the pair that includes a $8.50 c.o.d. fee.

these are just like the KYB AGX toyota mr2 rears.

check out my pics and link here

http://www.tristarion.com/cms/index.php?op...topic=18596.new

i just need one more shp rear housing to have rear 5 ways readt to install

LOL.. I didn't know you were Jeff. :D

Is there any reason why I would go with the Tokico illuminas over the AGX's?

i have read the illumina are a liuttle stiffer on the high setting so maybe better for drag racing launchs? and they have 5 levels of adjustment where the AGX have 4. i like the white paint on them :D

On the MR2s, the lowest setting of the Illuminas was just a bit softer than stock [93] settings, giving a pretty comfortable ride. The second setting was just a bit stiffer than stock, and the settings continued from there. The 5th setting is definitely a track only. ;)

Hmmn, I need some rear SHP housings then..

Instigator 88TSI had a set for sale for $60.00 i flaked out on buying them from him.(spent too much on other car s***) you could p.m. him and try to get them. easy to cut the 8 way knob out of them and use the tokicos. or if you wanna pay return shipping i could prep em for ya! :D

the tokico's are about 20 to 30 bucks more on the internet. i can get them from Competition Specialties for $108.00. they are as cheap as 107.00 plus shiiping on the net i have the link somewhere.....

if you are running coil overs, they will not slide over the newly adde DOM sleve. :(

cant you slide the sleeve over the strut then add the DOm reinforcment (thats all it is and may not even be needed if the weld is doen professionally).. the sleeve just distributes the potential weak spot of the spliced area.