#1 Mix_67

Mix_67

Wheel Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 24 May 2021 - 06:55 AM

Has anyone made an airdam quick removal?

I use my dolly to get the car to auto-x and the front airdam interferes with the dolly. I would like to be able to attach and detach it quickly at the track. Right now I just don't even run it with an airdam and don't like how it looks.

"Speed costs money. How fast do YOU want to go?"-Spoolin' Fools, Venus PA
"I was doing fine until about mid corner, that's pretty much were I ran out of talent and spun the car"
'87 Flatty Intercooled w/ 16gEvo3 @ 18psi, ssq-bov, ARP Head Studs, BSEK, 5-speed swap, 5 lug swap w/ 6bolt LSD, 3:90's, Cosmo Dual Spring Coilovers, MK1Shocks, MK1 Camber Plates, M28 head, Tial 38, SAFC-2, SSI-4,750/1400 Injectors
2010 DSM Shoot-Out DSM MAXeffort Street Tire Winner

#2 techboy

techboy

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts
  • Interests:80's & 90's turbo charged cars.
  • Model:Starion

Posted 24 May 2021 - 02:05 PM

I've never seen one, but that doesn't mean someone hasn't done it. I know a lot guys use those quick release bumper attachments which would work on the sides of the air dam, but it's a little trickier on the front of the car b/c the airdam hangs from underneath the front bumper.  You might have attach like a "U" shaped or "L" shaped bracket and various intervals that the airdam hangs on.  Maybe with like a slide through cotter-pin or something like that.  I'm brainstorming here ...

EDIT: this isn't a solution for you I don't think ... but I removed all the rusty hardware and metal brackets from my airdam when I restored my car and drilled slots in intervals on the topside of the airdam and underside of the bumper.  With the exception of the left and right sides where it's still held by factory OE bolts, the whole center is held by heavy duty zip ties that you can't see.  Been that way for 5 years now and never had a problem.  If I ever wanted to remove just the airdam all I have to do is remove a few bolts and cut the ties.  I almost forgot I did it that way until I read this post.

Edited by techboy, 24 May 2021 - 02:09 PM.

1988 Starion ESi-R ... crushed by a tree 10/31/11 - back from the dead 8/2016
1988 Conquest TSi ... current driver - sold to Bigjoe 6/2016
1987 Conquest Flatty ... F/S thread - sold 8/2014
1987 Conquest TSi ... parts car - sold to Coldscrip 12/2011
1999 Eclipse 4G63 ... heavily modified.
Feeback Thread | Motor rebuild thread | Restoration thread

Posted Image

#3 psu_Crash

psu_Crash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,524 posts
  • Interests:Killin' cones at 400WTQ!... and curves with green eyes

Posted 24 May 2021 - 02:25 PM

View PostMix_67, on 24 May 2021 - 06:55 AM, said:

Has anyone made an airdam quick removal?

I use my dolly to get the car to auto-x and the front airdam interferes with the dolly. I would like to be able to attach and detach it quickly at the track. Right now I just don't even run it with an airdam and don't like how it looks.

That would be great! I strategically place boards to get mine on the trailer for events. It's too much of a hassle to take the air dam off. I'll just take my chances lol
'86 Starion, MPI with MS2extra, Turbo Lab GTX3071R, P&P head, OS SS Valves, Wiseco +.030, ARP head/rod, RPW Roller Cam, Crower Rods, AEM H2O/Meth Injection, Mighty Max CAS 4 Direct Fire Wasted Spark, BSE, Tial 38mm, JDL exhaust mani, HKS turbo timer and EVC3, AEM UEGO, 3" DP into 2 1/2" Dual Exhaust, 85# Delphi's, Magna modded by Chad, Accufab FPR, Walbro 255, D2 Coilovers, GNT Poly Bushings and mounts, Autopower 4 point cage, Funk-Lock, LED Tails and Dome ... etc^4
2016, 17, 19 SCCA Solo, Glen Region Season Champion in Street Modified
The Valencia Project
http://www.starquest...+golden +dreams
My Feedback Link
Posted Image

#4 obsolete

obsolete

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 24 May 2021 - 04:31 PM

I think these might be the answer: https://timmcamis.co...-fasteners.html
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

#5 psu_Crash

psu_Crash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,524 posts
  • Interests:Killin' cones at 400WTQ!... and curves with green eyes

Posted 24 May 2021 - 05:29 PM

Hmmm ...
'86 Starion, MPI with MS2extra, Turbo Lab GTX3071R, P&P head, OS SS Valves, Wiseco +.030, ARP head/rod, RPW Roller Cam, Crower Rods, AEM H2O/Meth Injection, Mighty Max CAS 4 Direct Fire Wasted Spark, BSE, Tial 38mm, JDL exhaust mani, HKS turbo timer and EVC3, AEM UEGO, 3" DP into 2 1/2" Dual Exhaust, 85# Delphi's, Magna modded by Chad, Accufab FPR, Walbro 255, D2 Coilovers, GNT Poly Bushings and mounts, Autopower 4 point cage, Funk-Lock, LED Tails and Dome ... etc^4
2016, 17, 19 SCCA Solo, Glen Region Season Champion in Street Modified
The Valencia Project
http://www.starquest...+golden +dreams
My Feedback Link
Posted Image

#6 tux

tux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 24 May 2021 - 05:39 PM

View Postobsolete, on 24 May 2021 - 04:31 PM, said:

I think these might be the answer: https://timmcamis.co...-fasteners.html
Still gotta get under the car to release them unless you figure out new attachment points

#7 87redcat

87redcat

10 years and counting...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,186 posts
  • Interests:Aircraft Mechanic, having the wife tell you its about time you finished MY car...

Posted 25 May 2021 - 05:39 AM

A lot of aircraft external access panels are held on by those very same fasteners. So vibration would not be a problem
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

#8 Turbo Cary

Turbo Cary

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 26 May 2021 - 06:35 PM

This is what we do to fix Speed 3 bumpers. Could be used for a Starion

https://mazdaspeeds....7-to-2009.1689/

0 user(s) are reading this topic